Lapsang Souchong

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Dec 30th, '09, 17:50
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Lapsang Souchong

by Symmetry » Dec 30th, '09, 17:50

I actually enjoy the smoky smell and taste of LS; not for daily drinking, but not rare either. I probably have a cup every other day or so.

A friend who tried some of my Adagio LS told me it tasted like bacon to him, oddly enough. I've NEVER gotten that taste from it!

Jan 2nd, '10, 01:20

by bsteele » Jan 2nd, '10, 01:20

I just can't do it. I've tried 3 times... but I just can't drink the stuff. I feel like it's better suited for a dry rub or something of the such :)

Jan 2nd, '10, 01:55

by Chip » Jan 2nd, '10, 01:55

bsteele wrote:I just can't do it. I've tried 3 times... but I just can't drink the stuff. I feel like it's better suited for a dry rub or something of the such :)
Liquid smoke marinade ... yummm . I have actually wanted to try this out, but a dry rub is a good idea too.

Jan 2nd, '10, 04:51

by Victoria » Jan 2nd, '10, 04:51

ArtofTea wrote:I absolutely love Lapsang Souchong, but it seems quite rare to find other fans who can enjoy it as much as I do! A great shame really, because it is such a wonderful tea...

In my own experience, most of the people I've offered it too have found it's smoky flavours too strong!

I was recently recommended to try a "Bohea Lapsang" from Jing, who claim that it has a much weaker flavour... I don't know if that's wise though, since I'm actually quite partial to the strong taste?! :?
The Bohea from Tao of Tea is one of my favorite ones. But yeah, it's very mild. Might be a nice starting place for others wanting to try though.

Jan 2nd, '10, 10:48

by bsteele » Jan 2nd, '10, 10:48

Chip wrote:
bsteele wrote:I just can't do it. I've tried 3 times... but I just can't drink the stuff. I feel like it's better suited for a dry rub or something of the such :)
Liquid smoke marinade ... yummm . I have actually wanted to try this out, but a dry rub is a good idea too.
Oh I know what it'd be good for.

Some people like fruit on their breakfast cereal. How about LS on your bowl of corn flakes?? Om nom nom smoke cereal.

Jan 8th, '10, 10:38

by LauraW » Jan 8th, '10, 10:38

Y'know... that's not a bad idea. Totally using that for a marinade the next time I want to "fake" a barbeque. :o

I like the taste of a good LS, but it's got to cool down a fair bit before I can stand the smell most of the time.

Jan 9th, '10, 23:21

by teabone » Jan 9th, '10, 23:21

If you like this type of tea, Harney's is surprisingly good. It's sturdy and smoky like it ought to be, but you can still taste the tea. It will put hair on your chest for sure!
And, yes...it's been recommended to me as a marinade, though I've yet to try it. I would probably brew it really strong and add it to a barbecue sauce or something.

Jan 10th, '10, 00:17

by bsteele » Jan 10th, '10, 00:17

Late last night, I mixed Adagio's Laps, toasted sesame, and white cucumber... not half bad

It's kinda like a tea burger... except it doesn't taste like a burger at all... but you could pretend. Hmmm I may have to make a sig blend... it'll be a hit!

Laps= meat
Sesame = bun
WC = pickles

now I just need a cheese and tomato tea...

Feb 24th, '10, 10:39

by InsanityPrelude » Feb 24th, '10, 10:39

I've only tried it once (RoT's version- I'm a tea noob but they looked like a good brand? Don't laugh?) and found the dominating smoke flavor not to my liking. As a part of a blend or in cooking I think I might like it more.

Feb 25th, '10, 14:19

by marlena » Feb 25th, '10, 14:19

Two words for a potential Lapsang Souchong drinker. HU KWA from Marl T. Wendell. Quite simply the best. Wonderful with a good bleu cheese.

Feb 25th, '10, 19:32

by cyberhoofer » Feb 25th, '10, 19:32

marlena wrote:Two words for a potential Lapsang Souchong drinker. HU KWA from Marl T. Wendell. Quite simply the best. Wonderful with a good bleu cheese.
You might also want to try Nepalese Meghma Honey Oolong. It's a bit Lapsang like, but slightly less smokier. Tastes like Roquefort cheese coated with honey. Smokey, yet a tad sweet & salty at the same time. Braces fine with e.g. wok food. Also yummy with bleu cheese!

I recommend you buy your Meghma from Lochan Tea.

Feb 25th, '10, 20:02

by entropyembrace » Feb 25th, '10, 20:02

For you guys that tried a fairly inexpensive LS and found the smoke overwhelming without a lot to back it up...if you´re still curious at all I´d recomend trying a more expensive LS that´s had a year or two to age...they´re not as intensely smokey and they have a lovely flavourful, often slightly fruity base from being made from high quality chinese red tea that the cheaper LS doesn´t have to back up the smoke.

Mar 9th, '10, 19:10

by freddy » Mar 9th, '10, 19:10

I bought some loose LS but have no idea what brand. The smoke scent penetrated the plastic bag it was in so I put that bag in a zipper lock bag. The smell oozed out of that as well so I finally put it all in one of those disposable storage cups with lids. That worked and saved my cupboard from smelling like a barbeque! I finally brewed some and while it is something I would only rarely drink, it fit the day which was gloomy, rainy, and damp. The scent reminded me of sitting by a warming fire and the tea itself had an intriguing, and oddly comforting, flavor.

Mar 11th, '10, 15:25

by teaisme » Mar 11th, '10, 15:25

Decided to throw in a bag of lapsang 07 into my seven cups order to experiment with
This is my first try of any lapsang and I have to say its not too bad the way it came out (although I have not tried it by itself, and don't really plan to)

I purposely bought the oldest one hoping that the smoke flavour would diminish a little bit. Then I took out about 10g and let it sit in open room for 3 days. Then I mixed it to about ratio 3spoons good keemun to 1 spoon lapsang

Not bad at all not bad at all , tastes sweet, has good lasting aftertaste ,isnt bitter, has good aroma, smoke is not overpowering in any way, I imagine any more though and I would deem the smoke flavour too strong, but 3:1 ratio is good :P

Mar 12th, '10, 23:03

by MitzyG » Mar 12th, '10, 23:03

I really like a good LS (that kind of leaves out Twinings, now, doesn't it?) especially if I am going to have it with food. Lapsang Souchong, a nice cheese and vegemite sandwich and sit out in the garden on a spring day? Lovely.

+ Post Reply