Blending herbal teas with black

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Feb 15th, '10, 20:27

Blending herbal teas with black

by shadmere » Feb 15th, '10, 20:27

Hey all.

I'm somewhat new to buying loose leaf tea, and recently got some herbal teas that seem like they would be good blended with unflavored black teas.

My question is this: If I'm supposed to brew 1 tsp of black tea per cup of water, and 1.5 tsp of herbal tea per cup . . . if I mix them, should I be using a combination that adds to 1.5 tsp per cup, or should I use the full amount of each?

Thanks for the help. :)

Feb 15th, '10, 22:03
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Blending herbal teas with black

by bsteele » Feb 15th, '10, 22:03

Personally, I would use 1tsp black + 1 tsp herbal and brew as normal (1 cup of water), steep for maybe 4 minutes. If you want more herbal flavor, add more herbal tea.

If that's too much, just reduce a bit.

Just try a few different combinations to see that you like best. It's not really an exact science kind of thing since everyone's tastes are different.

Cheers :)

Feb 16th, '10, 20:31

by Cinnamon Kitty » Feb 16th, '10, 20:31

The ratio will depend on the herbal and the black tea used and how much flavor you want from each. For example, if it is a strong herbal, you might only need a pinch to get a flavor that doesn't overpower your black tea. Your best bet is to start with a 1 to 1 ratio of herbal to black tea and tweak it from there depending on how you want it to taste.

What herbals do you have for mixing and what type of black tea would you be mixing them with?

Apr 5th, '10, 16:00

by AlexZorach » Apr 5th, '10, 16:00

I think cinnamon is right here...it really depends on the type of tea and herbs used and it's not even easy to give a rough guideline. It also depends on the freshness and how it has been prepared.

I routinely add both fresh (in season) and dried (out of season) mint leaves to black and green tea. For spearmint, I use liberal quantities of mint, often more than the tea. For peppermint, I use only a dash.

And of course it's a matter of taste! Just experiment!

Apr 6th, '10, 18:08

by shardy53 » Apr 6th, '10, 18:08

We have a Mid East resteraunt in town called Karams, that uses cinnamon in their iced tea and it tasts great. I believe that they use Ceylon Tea for the iced tea. I believe that the Ceylon is best for iced tea anyway.

+ Post Reply