1st Flush Darjeelings

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Mar 24th, '10, 23:12

1st Flush Darjeelings

by murrius » Mar 24th, '10, 23:12

In case anyone is interested, Tea Emporium has some 2010 first flush darjeelings. I've ordered the Puttabong again in the hopes that it is as good as last year.

Mar 24th, '10, 23:23
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 1st Flush Darjeelings

by Victoria » Mar 24th, '10, 23:23

Thanks! Trying to wait.
Mariage Freres has some too.

Mar 25th, '10, 02:33

by entropyembrace » Mar 25th, '10, 02:33

I´m waiting for the ones from Thunderbolt to arrive :)

Mar 25th, '10, 03:49

by shah82 » Mar 25th, '10, 03:49

got three from lochan coming as well.

Apr 10th, '10, 07:33

by Tead Off » Apr 10th, '10, 07:33

Anyone tasted anything, yet?

Apr 12th, '10, 22:46

by murrius » Apr 12th, '10, 22:46

I've tired the Puttabong first flush from Tea Emporium and I think it's good. I got the Thurbo White Delight as well but was underwhelmed.

I also ordered some Singbulli Clonal Classic first flush from Thunderbolt Tea which is good; very floral if you like that.

What wasn't good is that Canada Customs saw fit to slice into each bag of tea with a knife of some sort. They gave the same treatment to the tea from both companies that arrived weeks apart. :evil:

Apr 12th, '10, 22:50

by Chip » Apr 12th, '10, 22:50

murrius wrote:What wasn't good is that Canada Customs saw fit to slice into each bag of tea with a knife of some sort. They gave the same treatment to the tea from both companies that arrived weeks apart. :evil:
That sux! :shock:

Apr 12th, '10, 22:59

by kymidwife » Apr 12th, '10, 22:59

Waiting for my Tea Emporium order...woohoo!

Apr 12th, '10, 23:14

by entropyembrace » Apr 12th, '10, 23:14

murrius wrote:I've tired the Puttabong first flush from Tea Emporium and I think it's good. I got the Thurbo White Delight as well but was underwhelmed.

I also ordered some Singbulli Clonal Classic first flush from Thunderbolt Tea which is good; very floral if you like that.

What wasn't good is that Canada Customs saw fit to slice into each bag of tea with a knife of some sort. They gave the same treatment to the tea from both companies that arrived weeks apart. :evil:
Sometimes they´re stupid like that...they sliced open a bag of Mexican candy on me...the bag being transparent didn´t seem to deter them. :shock:

Apr 13th, '10, 00:33

by murrius » Apr 13th, '10, 00:33

Doubtless this is all part of the Canadian federal government's "War on Tea"; the "just say no to tea" campaign.

Apr 15th, '10, 21:54

by kymidwife » Apr 15th, '10, 21:54

I received my Tea Emporium order today! Before I discuss the tea, I just wanted to make a comment that this was my first TE order which did NOT come wrapped in a hand-sewn cloth wrapping. I actually really missed that. It won't change the tea inside, but it was such a traditional touch, I always loved opening those hand-sewn stitchings.

OK, now to the tea. I have 3 offerings from TE:

1. Castleton Moonlight SFTGFOP FF
2. Turzum Organic Clonal Flowery SFTGFOP FF
3. Puttabong Queen Organic SFTGFOP FF Premium

I'm saving the Puttabong for last, as I had a large supply of this same estate tea last year, and I have been eagerly awaiting the Castleton Moonlight!

Castleton Moonlight SFTGFOP FF: This tea is so light, fluffy, and green, it is very close in character to a white Darjeeling. The aroma of the dry leaf is potent, but when the steeping begins, the fragrance is wonderful! I must remember to smell the warming leaf before I brew the next time. So, the character of the brewed tea is like a cross between a white and oolong darjeeling, but with a fuller flavor. The "bite" or astringency of a typical first flush seems to be milder than some others I've tried... reminding me in some ways of the White Margaret's Hope I purchased last year. The flavor is definitely more robust than a white, but smooth and musical without much sharpness. The meaty umami quality I love so much in FF is definitely present. I sampled the tea steaming hot, and then sipped slowly as it cooled. No bitterness was noted at any stage of cooling, all the way down to room temp.

All in all, I think it is absolutely lovely and delicious. Spring Darjeelings are sublime.

Sarah

Apr 15th, '10, 23:14

by Victoria » Apr 15th, '10, 23:14

Ohhh great, sounds nice!

Apr 15th, '10, 23:18

by kymidwife » Apr 15th, '10, 23:18

2nd infusion had much more "bite" to it. I may have slightly underbrewed the first infusion but it was yummilicious all the same.

Apr 17th, '10, 15:24

by Bhd » Apr 17th, '10, 15:24

I fully agree that the Castleton Moonlight from Tea Emporium is sublime! As it was two years ago. I think however, it is a rather subtle tea. If I had expected a boost of aromas, I could have been dissapointed. To me, it is a tea dominated by very fresh plant or plant juice aromas, when talking about the liquor. No overwhelmingly flowery stuff as some other first flushs. If find Castleton Moonlight just exotic and amazingly different!

This year I ordered the Thurbo White Delight along with Moonlight, and was delighted!! I steeped it quite long, 5 min and found it actually similar to the Moonlight in flavour and also rather subtle. BUT
the White Delight had more to offer, aroma-wise it was so much more complex. Extremely pleasant apricot, flower and a few other aromas were present and changed gorgeously, both while the tea cooled and towards the aftertaste. How good that I did not leave it because of its white tea tag!

Apr 22nd, '10, 16:18

by Victoria » Apr 22nd, '10, 16:18

Three new First Flushes just hit SpecialTeas.

Yashodhara FTGFOP1
Sungma
Marybong FTGFOP1

My experience with SpecialTeas is that the leaves are somewhat
chopped and finer, but the quality and taste are there.

I ordered 2 oz of all three, so I'll report back after they arrive.

+ Post Reply