Sweet Iced Tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 26th, '10, 07:12

Sweet Iced Tea

by IrishCuddles_09 » Oct 26th, '10, 07:12

Hi all, I am a newbee here, trying to figure out the ropes of how all of this stuff works.
I am looking for a fabulous sweet Iced tea recipie. My brother used to make the best Lipton Iced tea. I would add lemon to it, and be in heaven.
I can not remember just how many tea bags he used, but it seems like 6-8 to make a whole gallon of sweeted Iceded tea.
He put the sugar in while it was hot, and that seem to make it really good.
I have read that some use black tea for this. I want to use regular size tea bags. Does anyone know a simular recipie to this one? He seem to think it was the fact that he used the same pan each time, that made it taste so good.
It is amazing the things that you can miss from your child hood!
Looking forward to a reply from ya all.
:) Happy Halloween, IrishCuddles_09

Oct 26th, '10, 12:20

Re: a sweet Iced Tea recipie

by TwoPynts » Oct 26th, '10, 12:20

IrishCuddles_09 wrote:...I am looking for a fabulous sweet Iced tea recipie. My brother used to make the best Lipton Iced tea. I would add lemon to it, and be in heaven.
I can not remember just how many tea bags he used, but it seems like 6-8 to make a whole gallon of sweeted Iceded tea.
He put the sugar in while it was hot, and that seem to make it really good.
I have read that some use black tea for this. I want to use regular size tea bags. Does anyone know a simular recipie to this one? He seem to think it was the fact that he used the same pan each time, that made it taste so good...
First off, welcome to TeaChat Irishcuddles. You might want to introduce yourself in the new member thread.

Second, this recipe might fit the bill:
http://www.cooksrecipes.com/beverage/pe ... ecipe.html

Personally, I like to make unsweetened sun tea. Put the tea bags in a clear glass container and let it sit out in the sun for a few hour. I don't think when you add the sugar or if you use the same pan each time makes a difference, though if it was an iron pan, you might be getting some slight flavor from that.

Lastly, there are much better teas that Lipton. Explores some different ones, especially loose leaf teas, and you may be pleasantly surprised that the tea can be even better than you remember! 8)

Nov 4th, '10, 18:22

Re: Sweet Iced Tea

by Stormraven » Nov 4th, '10, 18:22

Any suggestions as to better teas? I've heard Luzianne, if you plan to stick with tea bags, but I can't find it in CA.

Dec 5th, '10, 02:14

by Dresden » Dec 5th, '10, 02:14

For iced tea it's hard to beat a nice loose leaf Ceylon.

Dec 5th, '10, 13:22

by Stormraven » Dec 5th, '10, 13:22

Thanks for the recommendation.

Dec 5th, '10, 13:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 5th, '10, 13:24

HIGH grown ceylon versus low grown. There is quite a difference. High grown tend to be more fruity/floral which makes a nice iced tea.

Dec 5th, '10, 14:13

by Dresden » Dec 5th, '10, 14:13

Chip wrote:HIGH grown ceylon versus low grown. There is quite a difference. High grown tend to be more fruity/floral which makes a nice iced tea.
Actually, my favorite for iced comes from the Kandy region (medium elevation). Particularly the Kenilworth estate. I find that the subtleties of a nice high grown can be lost when iced.

YMMV,
Mike

Dec 5th, '10, 14:27

by Chip » Dec 5th, '10, 14:27

Dresden wrote:
Chip wrote:HIGH grown ceylon versus low grown. There is quite a difference. High grown tend to be more fruity/floral which makes a nice iced tea.
Actually, my favorite for iced comes from the Kandy region (medium elevation). Particularly the Kenilworth estate. I find that the subtleties of a nice high grown can be lost when iced.
Mid grown is certainly very good. Perhaps I should have said "higher."

I actually use Ceylon as the base, and will often add other higher grown like Darjeeling, Nepal, Sikkim.

Dec 5th, '10, 14:28

by Chip » Dec 5th, '10, 14:28

Chip wrote:
Dresden wrote:
Mid grown is certainly very good. Perhaps I should have said "higher."

I actually use Ceylon as the base, and will often add other higher grown like Darjeeling, Nepal, Sikkim.

No matter what you use though, there will be some loss in intensity, subtleties when icing.

Dec 5th, '10, 14:32

by Dresden » Dec 5th, '10, 14:32

I've really never tried blending my own. I will have to give it a try one day.

Of course, now that it's finally started cooling off down here I've switched gears from Iced to hot.

Apr 11th, '13, 13:18

by 1tiredfox » Apr 11th, '13, 13:18

I hail from the land of sweet tea, and my grandfather taught me how to make it. personally I find it sickening, but that happens when you have dental problems as a result of drinking it for most of your young life. :(

4-6 lipton tea bags, boil on the stove in a pot for 3-5 mins until dark. add a half a teaspoon of baking soda right as you pull it off the heat, let cool. pour into a gallon container with a cup of sugar, still until dissolved. then fill the container the rest of the way with cold water.

possible problems:
bitter- steep longer/more sugar
dry- not enough baking soda
weak- start with a bigger pot

ta-da southern sweet tea, don't drink this stuff often as it will give you diabetes and you'll look like paula deen.

May 14th, '13, 06:39

by Teaism » May 14th, '13, 06:39

I enjoy sweet ice tea in hot days.

Try this out, you will love it.

Crush Yancha, e.g shui xian or tie lo han into small broken pieces and put them into tea bag. Put the bag into a bottle of mineral water and keep them in the fridge overnight. The next day you have a bottle full of cold brewed tea. Mixed them with mild e.g. acacia or linden honey and plus a dash of lemon. They are really refreshing.

This cold brew method retain the sweetness and fragrance of the tea.

Have fun!

Cheers!

May 15th, '13, 13:00

by MEversbergII » May 15th, '13, 13:00

It's also good to mention that if you want to make a large amount of sweet stuff, you can sweeten it while it's hot and stir to dissolve. Storing this isn't well advised, and it has a different flavor than when you sweeten it while it's room temperature or cold. If room temp or cold, the best way to sweeten it is with simple syrup. This is just sugar pre-dissolved in water. Get it as clear as you can, then serve out.

M.

Jul 23rd, '13, 09:17

by donaldosborne » Jul 23rd, '13, 09:17

1tiredfox wrote:
4-6 lipton tea bags, boil on the stove in a pot for 3-5 mins until dark. add a half a teaspoon of baking soda right as you pull it off the heat, let cool. pour into a gallon container with a cup of sugar, still until dissolved. then fill the container the rest of the way with cold water.
Thanks for Recipe

+ Post Reply