Aug 14th, '14, 16:03

Re: Official what Black (Red) Tea Are You Drinking Right Now?

by daidokorocha » Aug 14th, '14, 16:03

Today I had the Qing Pin Black by a company called Yezi Tea. Quite a nice tea with lots of toasted/roasted flavor that gave it a dark chocolate taste with underlying pear notes. I've bought a few blacks within the last two weeks in order to compensate for my lack of blacks... I think I'll buy a few more in the coming weeks.

Aug 26th, '14, 09:37

by Poseidon » Aug 26th, '14, 09:37

Today I'm having some Jun Chyabari HOR black tea from Nepal that i got from ethan. Its not bad. It reminds me of darjeeling without the deep muscatel flavors. Very smooth with a bit of astrengency. :D

Aug 27th, '14, 23:25

by Teaism » Aug 27th, '14, 23:25

A nice round of Dian Hong. Down to my last canister of it and slowly enjoy the sweet, full bodied and wonderful aroma tea. There are still a lot of them in the market but the high grades ones are rare.

Yummy!

Cheers!

Aug 28th, '14, 12:45

by Teaism » Aug 28th, '14, 12:45

Another nice round of black tea. Looks like my fancy is on black tea these few days. A nice aged Qimen. Smooth and comforting.

Cheers! :D

Aug 28th, '14, 21:03
Vendor Member

by ethan » Aug 28th, '14, 21:03

Moving into a new apartment w/ my younger sister who is an emotional wreck & has filled it w/ junk from 3 storage units, I've not even unpacked much more than my toothbrush. Boiling water in a tiny pot & otherwise not using ideal teaware, the HOR Jun Chiyabari is still a great start to the day. I am punished if I greatly over-steep but going 30 seconds more or less than the ideal 3 minutes (for my preference) is okay. W/ one meal being ramen noodles w/ an egg dropped in for protein & the next meal an egg w/ plain bread; the complex flavors of the tea are truly appreciated.

Aug 30th, '14, 02:59

by Tead Off » Aug 30th, '14, 02:59

Poseidon wrote:Today I'm having some Jun Chyabari HOR black tea from Nepal that i got from ethan. Its not bad. It reminds me of darjeeling without the deep muscatel flavors. Very smooth with a bit of astrengency. :D
HOR is Himalayan Orange?

Aug 30th, '14, 11:06
Vendor Member

by ethan » Aug 30th, '14, 11:06

Yes, the HOR is the HImalayan Orange from Jun Chiyabari in Nepal. I bought a huge quantity of what was called "Summer Flush" of 2013. I think it is a second flush. Teadoff, I think it is slightly more astringent than the flush I had with you. I love it, but cut down from from 4 big cups a day to only 2 because my gums actually felt dry when I was consuming a liter a day. Using only 2 grams to prepare 2 infusions, I realize that unless I live to be quite old, I won't use all that I have; so, I sell at 3 ounces for only $16 or $6 for one ounce. Poseidon got a bit w/ some pouches.

Sep 11th, '14, 21:50

by Teaism » Sep 11th, '14, 21:50

Had a 1930s Sun Yi Soon Liu Ann tea brewed by a Teamaster in Northern Malaysia. Really generous of him to share the prized treasure. The tea is clean and with mesmerizing aged complexity. This private collector has many ancient tea and has been trading informally for decades. Most of his tea are not for sale now but ready to share with serious tea drinker. It is also very nice to enjoy his humble approach to tea.

Oct 2nd, '14, 07:46

by Poseidon » Oct 2nd, '14, 07:46

This morning I used my new ingenuiTEA teapot to brew some adagio Dian Hong (Yunnan Gold) western style this morning... Boy does the ingenuiTEA make my mornings run smoother. As for the Dian Hong, its nice. I havent had a lot of black tea, so this is a new flavor profile for me to figure out. Very smooth tea with a honey-earthy like flavor. Digging deeper I can taste a bit of a earthy "bittersweet" cocoa with pepper like finish. Its pretty good and I never thought I would fully enjoy black teas. Not bitter or super astrengent. Nice morning cup with a good "boost" :shock: :lol:

Oct 7th, '14, 06:59

by Teaism » Oct 7th, '14, 06:59

Was up in Malaysia for a few trips recently to explore tea and found a neglected basket of Liu Ann in a neglected tea shop. It is a 90s basket, according to the owner and going for a song for tea of that age. Tried some sample at the teahouse and found it very nice so I grabbed the basket. No worries if there is no label no brand and no clue as long as the tea is good. It is certainly very good, very clean, sweet and with very nice bamboo and lotus leafs profile. So it is a nice find, in an unknown teahouse, no brand and no clue, reasonably CHEAP :lol: and I am happy!

Attached are some of the pictures when I brewed it today. Look at the color of the brew at brew no 10! Pretty amazing!

Attachments
Dry Leaves.jpg
Dry Leaves.jpg (22.61 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Brew no 10.jpg
Brew no 10.jpg (10.37 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Brewed leaves.jpg
Brewed leaves.jpg (35.92 KiB) Viewed 2522 times

Oct 22nd, '14, 13:06
Vendor Member

by ethan » Oct 22nd, '14, 13:06

Writing again about my favorite black tea, Himalayan Orange (HOR) from Jun Chiyabari in Nepal. This tea's flavors seem bolder now than when I first got it several months ago. It was harvested about a year ago. I was wanting it to be a little gentler or slower in the presentation of flavors, but I adjusted to the change.

One trick is using a bigger teapot that I don't fill all the way. When pouring the boiling water onto the tea the aroma is the gentle first stage.

The white tea version of this tea is also bolder. For that I have reduced the steeping time dramatically to keep getting what I want out a white tea.

Oct 23rd, '14, 11:58

by BW85 » Oct 23rd, '14, 11:58

Wuliang wild tree hong cha from EoT. One of the thickest, most oily red teas I've come across. Very strong uplifting energy. Red teas that are essentially made from puerh trees tend to be my preferred reds by far

Oct 27th, '14, 12:31

by BW85 » Oct 27th, '14, 12:31

HOR from Nepal, Ethan was kind enough to share some of this when I got some of the foil pouches from him. He's right, this tea is good

Oct 27th, '14, 13:55

by Tead Off » Oct 27th, '14, 13:55

Himalayan Orange for me, too. Delicious.

Oct 28th, '14, 11:03

by Tead Off » Oct 28th, '14, 11:03

And, tonight............. Jun Chiyabari 'Handrolled Himalayan Tips' Autumnal Flush. Smooth and delicious.

+ Post Reply