Sep 6th, '15, 15:13

Re: Official what Black (Red) Tea Are You Drinking Right Now?

by kuánglóng » Sep 6th, '15, 15:13

Tead Off wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:2015 FF Mim FTGFOP1 Dj5 Organic

Pretty expressive in-your-face florals, light, green, refreshing and uplifting, nice dynamics but lacking in the complexity department - no surprises from this invoice - I've had more distinguished leafs from this garden in the past.
If it goes on like this more and more of my €€€ will go to Nepal instead ... oh well.
Mim is one of my all time favorite Darjeeling gardens. It's very hard to find their teas. When they are good, they are at the top of the game.

I also like Nepali teas, but they lack the complexity and fruit/florals of the better Darjeelings.
I would have said the same 5 years ago but for me a lot has changed in the recent years. Some of those teas from Nepal I've tried lately hold their own against anything I've tried from Darjeeling in the last two years.
Let me mention just one example: Nepal `Sakhira´ First Flush CL SFTGFOP1.
I've never been much of a fan of clonal teas but this one really caught my attention. After 50 grams of this tea those leaves keep surprising me (and some friends) with their chameleon-like complexity. After the first few cups I got out my old thermometer and digital scale and to my surprise (and joy) failed to reproduce the same impression on my taste buds and in the end that's one of the main factors I like about teas. I've mentioned this tea about two weeks ago in another post and some grams later down the road I like it even more. OTOH I've been a bit disappointed with some pricey Darjeelings lately, not too much with the Mim I mentioned but some others and have just ordered another batch of mostly 2015 Nepali teas including some more of the Sakhira for further exploration. I'll report back.

In the cup: 2014 Margaret's Hope FTGFOP1 2nd flush - 150th anniversary leaves :D

Sep 6th, '15, 22:14

by Tead Off » Sep 6th, '15, 22:14

Selective sampling always helps to identify what you like. The Jun Chiyabari teas are the best I've had from Nepal. I agree that Nepali teas are much better than they used to be and I enjoy drinking them. But, I would have to stick to my original statement about complexity and fruit in Darjeelings. They have that 'je ne sais quoi'.

Sep 7th, '15, 09:51

by kuánglóng » Sep 7th, '15, 09:51

Tead Off wrote:Selective sampling always helps to identify what you like. The Jun Chiyabari teas are the best I've had from Nepal. I agree that Nepali teas are much better than they used to be and I enjoy drinking them. But, I would have to stick to my original statement about complexity and fruit in Darjeelings. They have that 'je ne sais quoi'.
It's just that I used to live in Darjeeling and Nepal for some years and more often than not got my leaves right from the source. Over here I really miss the quality and the variety I was used to. As I've said, the last couple years haven't been the most glorious in my relationship with Dajeeling teas but I sure know what you mean. Anyway, I'm looking forward to get back there next year, right in time for the first and second flush, zigzagging all over the hills like back in the day.

Sep 7th, '15, 13:01

by Tead Off » Sep 7th, '15, 13:01

You can find Mim's at a small shop on the Chowrasta in Darjeeling. I wish I could remember the exact name. Something like Tea Corner. They are a dealer for them.

Sep 8th, '15, 06:52

by kuánglóng » Sep 8th, '15, 06:52

Tead Off wrote:You can find Mim's at a small shop on the Chowrasta in Darjeeling. I wish I could remember the exact name. Something like Tea Corner. They are a dealer for them.
There's Golden Tips now and a Nathmull's boutique. Back in the day there was a smaller, more humble store at this place. I bought some leaves there once in a while but I don't remember the name either.

PS: Ha! - I found an image on the web, much faster than browsing through my own images - the main sign above the window has 'Mim Tea Estate' written on it.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2jPIATuzyK8/U ... C_0442.jpg

Sep 9th, '15, 05:06

by Tead Off » Sep 9th, '15, 05:06

kuánglóng wrote:
Tead Off wrote:You can find Mim's at a small shop on the Chowrasta in Darjeeling. I wish I could remember the exact name. Something like Tea Corner. They are a dealer for them.
There's Golden Tips now and a Nathmull's boutique. Back in the day there was a smaller, more humble store at this place. I bought some leaves there once in a while but I don't remember the name either.

PS: Ha! - I found an image on the web, much faster than browsing through my own images - the main sign above the window has 'Mim Tea Estate' written on it.
That's it! I could have sworn they were called Darjeeling Tea Corner when I was there in 2010. I bought some great teas there.

Sep 9th, '15, 08:09

by kuánglóng » Sep 9th, '15, 08:09

Tead Off wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:

That's it! I could have sworn they were called Darjeeling Tea Corner when I was there in 2010. I bought some great teas there.
I would have to dig up my tasting notes from back then but from what I remember it was one of the better sources for fresh leaves and those guys never tried to rip me off.
I've just finished a pot of 2015 Ambootia FF EX4, a special production with beautiful wiry leaves but after 20 or so grams this tea leaves me wanting. Even though the label doesn't mention clones everything I smell and taste reminds me too much of Tukdah 78 (T78) clonal leaves and I've never been too much of a fan of this variety, especially when it comes to first flushes. Oh well ...

Sep 11th, '15, 18:43

by debunix » Sep 11th, '15, 18:43

Honey Orchid Spring 2014 Guandong black tea from Norbu, and feeling very lucky as I sip that Greg still has this listed for sale on his site. It was a sample--you know the story, slipped to the bottom/back of the tea bin, and I'm just pulling it out a year later. It is sweet like honey, caramelicious, hints of plum/fruit without the strong tart/sour flavor of some of the other fine black teas I've had in recent years. Really nice. Mmmm.

Sep 12th, '15, 06:05

by kuánglóng » Sep 12th, '15, 06:05

I'm in the process of moving and found an unopened tin of Twinings 'Prince of Wales' some days ago - exp. date 28/02/2009. The tin spent most of it's years in a cool, dry cellar. The taste profile has lost some edges but the tea doesn't taste stale by any means and is still drinkable; I'd actually prefer it to the average supermarket blend you'd find here. An interesting experience.

Oct 13th, '15, 05:11

by kuánglóng » Oct 13th, '15, 05:11

Brewed up some organic Liza Hill (a division of Rishehaat) SFTGFOP1 Second Flush DJ10. Of all the Darjeelings I've tried this year this is my favorite, hands down. Wonderful, intense layers of dried fruit, pears, muscatel, nutmeg, cloves, roasted almonds, wild dark honey in the aroma as well as in the cup; a real treat.
I've just ordered some more :D

Oct 20th, '15, 06:48

by Tead Off » Oct 20th, '15, 06:48

Soom Darjeeling tea in my Korean Jun glazed porcelain pot by Kim Eung Chul. This is a very aromatic and fruity tea.
gyunyo glaze.jpg
gyunyo glaze.jpg (59.22 KiB) Viewed 1521 times

Oct 25th, '15, 18:57

by kuánglóng » Oct 25th, '15, 18:57

Just finished my last cup of some 2015 FF Upper Namring; I've had 6 small pots of this fruity nectar today. The tea consists of almost 50% white tips and needs lots of heat to make it sing; slightly cooler than boiling and you end up with something pretty bland.
Usually I drink far more second flush DJs in late October but somehow my body is constantly reaching for first flush teas these days, even at midnight or later. Big :?: and high time to stock up.

Nov 4th, '15, 04:56

by Rui » Nov 4th, '15, 04:56

Teavivre's 2015 Yunnan Gongfu Fragrant Black Tea - If I had sipped this red (black) tea blindfolded I would have mistaken it for a oolong tea. Lightly sweet aroma of ripe fruits or raisins with an accompanying lightly sweet taste and aftertaste. :D

Nov 5th, '15, 22:38

by Tead Off » Nov 5th, '15, 22:38

Wild Black Tea from Monsoon Tea. Grown in northern Thailand, this is a very good, sweet black tea. Reminiscent of Yunnan style blacks.

Nov 8th, '15, 09:44

by Alucard » Nov 8th, '15, 09:44

Spring 2013 "Hong Yun" Yi Wu Mountain Wild Arbor Black tea cake from Yunnan Sourcing. It has a raisin like flavor. I like it.

+ Post Reply