Nov 18th, '15, 10:09

Re: Official what Black (Red) Tea Are You Drinking Right Now?

by kuánglóng » Nov 18th, '15, 10:09

Just finished a small pot of 2015 2nd flush Jungpana, one of my favorite estates. Some pretty complex stuff, slightly sweet and dominated by bright exotic fruit notes. Ripe peaches, something like ripe pineapple and waves of muscatel keep zipping in and out. There's lots going on in the flavor, not all in your face but only relatively little adstringency, even after 5 minutes. My schnotz catches notes of honey, some wood and warm exotic spices, like in a dark backroom of a bazar; a very comforting and satisfying experience overall. However, the tea is somewhat tricky to brew and the liquor rapidly loses flavor while it cools down.

Nov 18th, '15, 11:17

by debunix » Nov 18th, '15, 11:17

kuánglóng wrote:... the liquor rapidly loses flavor while it cools down.
This is a good argument for small brewing vessels and shallow vessels for drinking so that you can quickly slurp it down while still very hot. It's why I use little pots and cups for young sheng puerhs, while I will brew up reliable mellow shu puerhs in large pots and thermoses--the mellow ones can stand for minutes to hours and stay lovely, but the more volatile young 'uns need to be finished off quickly.

I generally brew my black teas like the shengs--quick brew, quick drink, mmm.

Nov 18th, '15, 12:24

by kuánglóng » Nov 18th, '15, 12:24

debunix wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:... the liquor rapidly loses flavor while it cools down.
This is a good argument for small brewing vessels and shallow vessels for drinking so that you can quickly slurp it down while still very hot. It's why I use little pots and cups for young sheng puerhs, while I will brew up reliable mellow shu puerhs in large pots and thermoses--the mellow ones can stand for minutes to hours and stay lovely, but the more volatile young 'uns need to be finished off quickly.

I generally brew my black teas like the shengs--quick brew, quick drink, mmm.
Thanks, Deb; same here.
My largest regular pot holds 200ml but the reason why I mentioned this is that I can't remember a tea losing that much flavor literally from one slurp to the next (you could hear me downstairs :lol: ). I've got a FF Risheehat that's close but that Jungpana keeps me really busy. There's an awful lot going on with that tea but it's worth the extra attention. Each time I brew it up, it leaves me smiling for a while.
With regards to cups I've got a nice collection to choose from and I keep switching them all the time. They sure play a major role in that ongoing experiment; especially with teas like this one.

Nov 30th, '15, 20:14

by CWarren » Nov 30th, '15, 20:14

Edited
Last edited by CWarren on Feb 29th, '16, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 1st, '15, 18:41

by kuánglóng » Dec 1st, '15, 18:41

Dug out a bag of Lapsang Souchong from my stash some days ago and haven't drunk much else since. Thought about creating spontaneous crap weather blends for a while and won't find a better time to start than these days.

Dec 2nd, '15, 22:21

by Whalebreath » Dec 2nd, '15, 22:21

Hadn't had Kaamba for a while so ordered a cup yesterday....well everyone makes mistakes.

I've always found Kaamba to be best with food and since I'd long finished lunch it didn't taste particularly great with a bit of a fishy flavour that put me right off.

Dec 3rd, '15, 01:47
Vendor Member

by ethan » Dec 3rd, '15, 01:47

kuanglang, I used to drink Lapsang Souchong w/ milk, before I got into the purity etc. of tea leaves & water alone etc. Since then, usually it has been too strong for me to enjoy more than a sip or two; however, John B. gave me a bit that he said had less____
can't remember, but it sounded purer, more natural. Anyway, this l.s. is delightful. Like a very good roasted oolong but black, this is a great somewhat gentle black tea.

Dec 3rd, '15, 06:42

by kuánglóng » Dec 3rd, '15, 06:42

ethan wrote:kuanglang, I used to drink Lapsang Souchong w/ milk, before I got into the purity etc. of tea leaves & water alone etc. Since then, usually it has been too strong for me to enjoy more than a sip or two; however, John B. gave me a bit that he said had less____
can't remember, but it sounded purer, more natural. Anyway, this l.s. is delightful. Like a very good roasted oolong but black, this is a great somewhat gentle black tea.
That's good to hear, Ethan. The LS I've mentioned is not the most complex I remember, but at least a nice match for the sh...y weather over here. There are some great Lapsangs out there, i.e. the real LS from Tongmu village in the Wuyi mountains like this one:
http://www.tea-exclusive.de/Lapsang-Sou ... r-Rauchtee
It's not as smokey but has a lot to like about it and those teas age just beautifully.

Back to a pot of 1st flush Lingia ...

Dec 8th, '15, 23:55

by CWarren » Dec 8th, '15, 23:55

Edited
Last edited by CWarren on Mar 9th, '16, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 9th, '15, 03:43
Vendor Member

by ethan » Dec 9th, '15, 03:43

In possessi for a couple of months of 10 grams of an early 2015 HRHT from Jun Chiyabari but just opened the foil packet yesterday. This is delicious. The complex flavor of good Darjeeling in a subdued state w/ a hint of sweetness & good depth. Playing w/ it, I find less leaf +/or time accentuates fruitiness making it taste like excellent oolong. However, favorite way is closer to usual preparation of a black tea to enjoy more body & depth.
When I finish the 10 grams of this, I will try the 2 packets that were from a bit later in the year.
The better teas from Nepal are so good.

Dec 9th, '15, 06:28

by kuánglóng » Dec 9th, '15, 06:28

ethan wrote:In possessi for a couple of months of 10 grams of an early 2015 HRHT from Jun Chiyabari but just opened the foil packet yesterday. This is delicious. The complex flavor of good Darjeeling in a subdued state w/ a hint of sweetness & good depth. Playing w/ it, I find less leaf +/or time accentuates fruitiness making it taste like excellent oolong. However, favorite way is closer to usual preparation of a black tea to enjoy more body & depth.
When I finish the 10 grams of this, I will try the 2 packets that were from a bit later in the year.
The better teas from Nepal are so good.
... and they're getting better and better. My personal favorite this year was a 1st flush Shakira. It not just held its own against some top DJs but stood out with a unique, wide and untamed spectrum of fresh exotic fruit, herbs and spices.
Looking forward to visiting this estate, some dozen other gardens and meeting some old friends up there next year or in 2017; can't wait.

Time for a pot of organic 1st flush Okayti and a test run of the new cups I just received in the mail.

Dec 9th, '15, 10:48

by Tead Off » Dec 9th, '15, 10:48

Speaking of Nepali teas, I brewed up Himalayan Finest Flowery from Tea Hong this evening. While it has a lovely thickness in the mouth, it cannot be compared to Jun Chiyabari's offerings or other Eastern Nepali high mountain teas. It has some floweriness to it, but lacks that deep, penetrating aroma and fruity flavor of the best Darjeeling and Nepali teas.

Dec 11th, '15, 19:47

by CWarren » Dec 11th, '15, 19:47

Edited
Last edited by CWarren on Mar 9th, '16, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 18th, '15, 22:55

by kuánglóng » Dec 18th, '15, 22:55

4.54 in the morning with a pot of organic 1st flush Nagri.

Dec 19th, '15, 22:27

by CWarren » Dec 19th, '15, 22:27

Edited
Last edited by CWarren on Mar 9th, '16, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

+ Post Reply