Apr 19th, '11, 19:14

Re: What Black (Red) Tea Are You Drinking Right Now?

by yshuto » Apr 19th, '11, 19:14

Mariage, 2011 first flush Namring. It's really good and I'm going through 100g really fast.

Apr 23rd, '11, 10:30

by tortoise » Apr 23rd, '11, 10:30

Not sure if I'm in the right thread as this tea might enjoy dual citizenship, but I'm having Da Yeh "red" oolong from Teamasters this morning. It was a sample in my most recent order and I like it. It makes me think of citrus and rose. Brewing it gong fu style and it is just what the doctor ordered after a poor night of sleep and a long day of Easter related family activities ahead of me today.

May 10th, '11, 16:42

by TwoPynts » May 10th, '11, 16:42

Oolong might best fit in the Oolong thread, but I'm all for dual citizenship! :lol:

I just tried Adagio's Golden Monkey for the first time today, and was pleasantly surprised. It is like a mellower Golden Curls and nearly as good. Since it is 1/3 the price, I think I've found a winner.

May 11th, '11, 15:28

by teaisme » May 11th, '11, 15:28

tortoise wrote:Not sure if I'm in the right thread as this tea might enjoy dual citizenship, but I'm having Da Yeh "red" oolong from Teamasters
It's a red. I'm pretty sure that even though it is called an oolong cultivar it is processed into many different types of tea. I have seen it in oolong, green, and red form. I bet there is a puerh made out of it too somewhere.

Did a google, here is what Stephane has to say about it on his blog....
Da Ye or big leaves Oolong is just the name of the cultivar. These dry leaves are not considered Oolong, because the oxidation is complete.
Recently had some of the same stuff but rolled into small balls instead of wires. One of my favourite blacks.

May 11th, '11, 15:49

by tortoise » May 11th, '11, 15:49

churng wrote:
tortoise wrote:Not sure if I'm in the right thread as this tea might enjoy dual citizenship, but I'm having Da Yeh "red" oolong from Teamasters
It's a red. I'm pretty sure that even though it is called an oolong cultivar it is processed into many different types of tea. I have seen it in oolong, green, and red form. I bet there is a puerh made out of it too somewhere.

Did a google, here is what Stephane has to say about it on his blog....
Da Ye or big leaves Oolong is just the name of the cultivar. These dry leaves are not considered Oolong, because the oxidation is complete.
Recently had some of the same stuff but rolled into small balls instead of wires. One of my favourite blacks.
I really enjoyed it too.

May 30th, '11, 11:41

by siae » May 30th, '11, 11:41

Right now I'm drinking Singbulli clonal classic from thunderbolt. Excellent cup!

May 30th, '11, 11:46

by lkj23 » May 30th, '11, 11:46

Imperial Mojiang golden bud from Yunnan.

It has yunnan green tea notes, like bi luo chun from yunnan, I´m begining to think all yunnan teas( green and black) has similar taste, I´m begining to understand why people say they are boring.... all have similar taste :?

May 30th, '11, 12:14

by rosmarinaus » May 30th, '11, 12:14

I started with a Nahorhabi Estate Assam from Upton, and now I'm on a Nilgiri Chamraj Estate from TeaSource. They're both fine teas, but there are other black teas I like much more. Still a nice way to start out the day.

Jun 1st, '11, 20:44

by BrandonTeaClub » Jun 1st, '11, 20:44

I had the Tippy Orthodox Darjeeling from Upton this morning. It was very savory, with a great mouthfeel and wonderfully muscatel aftertaste. I didn't even know what "muscatel" tasted like until I had this Darjeeling; now I can't get enough of it!

Jun 6th, '11, 14:15

by bogdan101 » Jun 6th, '11, 14:15

Keemun Mao Feng from Upton.

Jun 6th, '11, 17:27

by teaisme » Jun 6th, '11, 17:27

risheehat clonal flowery 2ndflush 2010. (thunderbolt tea)

Was a little disappointed with this one after going 3g in 8oz teapot. First time brewed for 3 mins then 6 mins. Second time brewed 6 mins just one single infusion. I thought to myself, what a boring tea. It is thicker...but so boring. vague fruitiness but meh.

Today, upped the leaf to roughly 5 g. 2m 45ish, 6m or so. Bang! Now I am picking up a lot more of what the descriptions on the site says is there. A distinct bite that transforms very fast into a sweet mixed fruitiness. There's actually a lasting aftertaste now. Second infusion was less interesting but almost as pleasurable as the first infusion attempt with 3g. Never got too bitter for my tastes.

Glad the disappointment has gone down the drain. :mrgreen:

Jun 6th, '11, 22:43

by Tead Off » Jun 6th, '11, 22:43

churng wrote:risheehat clonal flowery 2ndflush 2010. (thunderbolt tea)

Was a little disappointed with this one after going 3g in 8oz teapot. First time brewed for 3 mins then 6 mins. Second time brewed 6 mins just one single infusion. I thought to myself, what a boring tea. It is thicker...but so boring. vague fruitiness but meh.

Today, upped the leaf to roughly 5 g. 2m 45ish, 6m or so. Bang! Now I am picking up a lot more of what the descriptions on the site says is there. A distinct bite that transforms very fast into a sweet mixed fruitiness. There's actually a lasting aftertaste now. Second infusion was less interesting but almost as pleasurable as the first infusion attempt with 3g. Never got too bitter for my tastes.

Glad the disappointment has gone down the drain. :mrgreen:
To get a feel for a Darjeeling, I will often use a small gaiwan or shiboridashi, fill it 1/2 way with leaf and do quick infusions. This can often tell me how I should brew it for western style drinking. Oddly enough, my favorite large pot for Darjeelings is a Tokoname kyusu. Somehow, it can bring all the fruit and florals out of the tea.

Jun 7th, '11, 00:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 7th, '11, 00:24

Tead Off wrote:Oddly enough, my favorite large pot for Darjeelings is a Tokoname kyusu. Somehow, it can bring all the fruit and florals out of the tea.
... shuweeet! :mrgreen:

Jun 7th, '11, 02:11

by Tead Off » Jun 7th, '11, 02:11

Chip wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Oddly enough, my favorite large pot for Darjeelings is a Tokoname kyusu. Somehow, it can bring all the fruit and florals out of the tea.
... shuweeet! :mrgreen:
It is a thin walled, dark colored, kyusu.

Jun 7th, '11, 14:02

by NOESIS » Jun 7th, '11, 14:02

Yixing hong cha with breakfast.

+ Post Reply