Apr 27th, '13, 07:44

Re: Official what Black (Red) Tea Are You Drinking Right Now?

by sherubtse » Apr 27th, '13, 07:44

Tead Off wrote:It's amazing how a black tea can have so many variations of taste from being grown and processed in one place vs. another. Darjeelings, which I think may be my favorite black tea, has little to do with the black/red teas of China and Taiwan and the same with Japanese and Korean blacks vs Chinese. Amazing variety in this genre of tea.
+1.

Although blacks are not my first tea love, I very much enjoy them as a break from my usual fare. Quite the variety across the spectrum (from FF Darjeelings which I don't like, to tippy Assams which I do, to Yunnans which I like crave at times).

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Apr 27th, '13, 16:27

by saxon75 » Apr 27th, '13, 16:27

Season's Pick Yunnan Black Snail from Upton. I'm led to understand that this is a fairly low quality Yunnan, but I like it. I find it smooth and rich, malty, with nice cocoa notes. Great for a relaxing afternoon. If this is the bad stuff, I'm not sure whether that makes me excited to try the good stuff, or if I'm just happy to have found something I like for so cheap.

Apr 27th, '13, 17:45

by amaranto » Apr 27th, '13, 17:45

Black tea had a negative connotation in the USA for decades from 'health' conscious folks who claimed it had too much caffeine and 'bad' stuff. My, my, have things changed in the last 2 decades.
I'm starting to find that I like a lot of black teas and that the world of black tea is much larger than I previously thought.

I'm sipping on some Lapsang at the moment.

Apr 28th, '13, 02:06

by Tead Off » Apr 28th, '13, 02:06

saxon75 wrote:Season's Pick Yunnan Black Snail from Upton. I'm led to understand that this is a fairly low quality Yunnan, but I like it. I find it smooth and rich, malty, with nice cocoa notes. Great for a relaxing afternoon. If this is the bad stuff, I'm not sure whether that makes me excited to try the good stuff, or if I'm just happy to have found something I like for so cheap.
I've also had some 'low' quality Yunnan black that I've liked. However, the good stuff is really better. Try some to see what the difference is. The price is not expensive for high quality.

Apr 28th, '13, 09:02
Vendor Member

by ethan » Apr 28th, '13, 09:02

+1 to advice of Tead Off. A price of better tea may be high, but the cost-per-cup may not be: Besides greater flavor from the initial infusion that the better black teas give me, they also give me an equally good second infusion which I don't get from cheap black tea (that I still drink often).

Apr 28th, '13, 09:06

by Teaism » Apr 28th, '13, 09:06

Tead Off wrote:
saxon75 wrote:Season's Pick Yunnan Black Snail from Upton. I'm led to understand that this is a fairly low quality Yunnan, but I like it. I find it smooth and rich, malty, with nice cocoa notes. Great for a relaxing afternoon. If this is the bad stuff, I'm not sure whether that makes me excited to try the good stuff, or if I'm just happy to have found something I like for so cheap.
I've also had some 'low' quality Yunnan black that I've liked. However, the good stuff is really better. Try some to see what the difference is. The price is not expensive for high quality.
I am running out of good quality Dian Hong now....down to the last 50gms. There are some poor quality ones lying around but doesn't ring any bell in terms of taste and quality...so the search continue ...hmmmm

...and still have to brew from the fast disappearing remaining Dian Hong in the can.

Quality and availability of good tea is increasing difficult to find nowadays. sigh!

Apr 28th, '13, 12:43

by Tead Off » Apr 28th, '13, 12:43

Teaism wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
I am running out of good quality Dian Hong now....down to the last 50gms. There are some poor quality ones lying around but doesn't ring any bell in terms of taste and quality...so the search continue ...hmmmm

...and still have to brew from the fast disappearing remaining Dian Hong in the can.

Quality and availability of good tea is increasing difficult to find nowadays. sigh!
Try Yunnan Sourcing. Their black teas are good. The Simao pure bud is excellent. Cheers!

Apr 28th, '13, 13:09

by saxon75 » Apr 28th, '13, 13:09

I have it in mind to try out a bunch of different YS black teas, but I've already got a bunch of sheng samples coming from them, and I think next month will likely be for trying out shinchas, so the Yunnan blacks will have to wait a bit.

May 2nd, '13, 20:47

by AdamMY » May 2nd, '13, 20:47

Yixing red, hoping it can cure my Zombie State.

May 8th, '13, 14:51

by chado.my.teaway » May 8th, '13, 14:51

Tie Guan Yin Spring 2011;)

Amazing tea...really;) almost like Keemun;) But after 5 brew its like a original TGY...floral taste;)

May 8th, '13, 23:34

by amaranto » May 8th, '13, 23:34

I've always liked lychee red, and I just ordered some from JTS. It's really potent stuff, and I like it better than most others I've tried in the past. As a side note, lychee season is almost underway here, and I can't wait to buy a bunch and eat them with a cup of this tea :)

May 9th, '13, 11:47
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 9th, '13, 11:47

amaranto, I did not know there were lychee trees in Mexico.

May 9th, '13, 18:59

by amaranto » May 9th, '13, 18:59

ethan, I believe they are grown in the states of San Luis Potosí and Sinaloa. They sell very well here, that's for sure. I will ask my people at the market where they buy theirs the next time I visit.

May 16th, '13, 19:21
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 16th, '13, 19:21

Taiwan Black, Ruby #18, from Floating Leaves Tea: Almost tasteless. Nothing more to say about it. I should have searched here or asked about it before I wasted $ on an ounce.

May 16th, '13, 23:24

by debunix » May 16th, '13, 23:24

I loved the 'Black Ruby' taiwanese tea I got from Norbu...wonder if it the one that you really didn't enjoy was a poor example, or if it's the whole variety of tea that turns you off.....if the latter, you might have found the Yunnan gold I brewed up with some osmanthus boring. I found it fruity and delicious.

+ Post Reply