Defining flavor notes for Nilgiri tea?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Dec 3rd, '10, 17:04

Defining flavor notes for Nilgiri tea?

by mbanu » Dec 3rd, '10, 17:04

I've been trying to educate my palate lately, but I've been having a lot of trouble identifying the distinctive characteristics that make it easy to recognize a Nilgiri tea. I've had many Nilgiri teas that were pungent and strong with good color and body but flavor-wise were fairly unremarkable. Any suggestions for flavor notes to look for, or particular Nilgiris that have these flavors in a pronounced way?

Dec 10th, '10, 17:30

Re: Defining flavor notes for Nilgiri tea?

by teaisme » Dec 10th, '10, 17:30

im also curious about Nilgiri blacks.
Have never tried one, but saw that it was selling pretty well at the flt in Seattle.

I imagine it is pretty dark and strong like an assam maybe?

Dec 10th, '10, 18:01

by NOESIS » Dec 10th, '10, 18:01

The few that I've had have been very brisk tasting (bright acidity, in wine tasting terms), light-medium bodied, a bit of warm spice in the aroma with citrus notes (like some high elevation Ceylons).

Dec 10th, '10, 18:20

by geeber1 » Dec 10th, '10, 18:20

I've tried a lot of Nilgiri teas, and what I find in their flavor isn't anything like Assam. Assam is quite malty but Nilgiris are crisp, like a cross between Ceylon and Darjeeling. I usually detect a citrus flavor as well.

The best Nilgiris I've had have been from the Glendale Estate. There is a "Handmade" that TeaSource sells, as well as an OP version (which is harder to find). Tao of Tea sells a similar large-leafed Nilgiri they call Neela. They don't specify what estate it's from, though.

Craigmore, Dunsandle, and Tiger Hill are also good estates. I really disliked Chamraj and Kairbetta, though, they were quite bitter.

Dec 25th, '13, 07:06

by ClarG » Dec 25th, '13, 07:06

geeber1 wrote:I've tried a lot of Nilgiri teas, and what I find in their flavor isn't anything like Assam. Assam is quite malty but Nilgiris are crisp, like a cross between Ceylon and Darjeeling. I usually detect a citrus flavor as well.

The best Nilgiris I've had have been from the Glendale Estate. There is a "Handmade" that TeaSource sells, as well as an OP version (which is harder to find). Tao of Tea sells a similar large-leafed Nilgiri they call Neela. They don't specify what estate it's from, though.

Craigmore, Dunsandle, and Tiger Hill are also good estates. I really disliked Chamraj and Kairbetta, though, they were quite bitter.
This is an old topic but I got some Nilgiri for Christmas and I found it to be like this. It does taste bright/citrusy to me but it's 2nd flush from the Korakunda estate.

+ Post Reply