Any Recommendations?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 23rd, '11, 16:18
Scrolling: scrolling

Any Recommendations?

by CasualConnoisseur » Jul 23rd, '11, 16:18

I'll start by saying that I've had almost zero experience with black tea. I've had some flavored ones very occasionally, but other than that, nothing.

I'm looking to get at least a sample from adagio to try 1) the brand and 2) the tea. But I don't have any idea where to start. Any recommendations as to what I should try?

Jul 23rd, '11, 16:24

Re: Any Recommendations?

by Chip » Jul 23rd, '11, 16:24

One of the black tea samplers would make a lot of sense.

Jul 23rd, '11, 18:16

by Olmanrivah » Jul 23rd, '11, 18:16

Browse this Forum and learn the preferred way to brew the tea. Then get a sampler and start exploring Black teas. Black teas are stronger than other teas. I like the tea flavor so I brew mine longer than normal to get it stronger.

Only you can decide what you like. Start out with small sample packages until you find the ones you like. You may find out you prefer Green tea and you don't want a lot of tea left over that you don't like.

Amazon has a great sampler of the different teas. Just search Amazon for Tea Samples.

Jul 24th, '11, 15:17

by CasualConnoisseur » Jul 24th, '11, 15:17

I think I've decided on a sampler from adagio (the silk road sampler). My only question remaining is how much tea of each variety comes when I order. I'm assuming it's a 1-oz. sample of each, because that's what's offered for individual teas, but for someone to confirm this would be great. I'm new to adagio so I'm not terribly familiar with their website.

Jul 26th, '11, 11:26

by sherubtse » Jul 26th, '11, 11:26

The "Raja Sampler" from Adagio gives you perhaps the widest range of blacks via the sampler kits. So that is the one that I would recommend.

As to sizes, try sending them a query via the contact form:

http://www.adagio.com/pages/email.html? ... 412e6b7e49

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jul 26th, '11, 11:49

by Chip » Jul 26th, '11, 11:49

Everyone always says that the sample sizes from Adagio are generous. They vary by weight. More done by what fits by volume in the sample pouch.

Sep 27th, '11, 17:26

by AlexZorach » Sep 27th, '11, 17:26

I will say, Adagio's samples come in adorable little tins. So cute. And so practical...mine quickly disappeared as I used them as containers as I gave little batches of other teas out to people as gift samples.

Adagio is a good company to order samples from. Another, which has a massive catalogue, more variability in quality (more "misses" than Adagio, IMHO, but perhaps, slightly better prices on average) is Upton Tea Imports. And I do think black teas are their strength, whereas Adagio, I think is a little more of a well-rounded company. And Upton has fantastic prices on their samples...many of them are $1 for 15 grams...you can't beat that. They do not, unfortunately, come in cute tins. Upton does have samplers that come in tins...but...I just...I don't like the shape of the tins as much as Adagio's tins...Upton's are flatter and round...I like how Adagio's are more squarish and deep...much more practical.

So order from Adagio first, get the tins, then order from Upton...haha.

=)

But...seriously. Also...Rishi has some good black teas. Their samples are a bit larger (1 ounce size) which you may or may not like...and they're pricier, both because their prices tend to be higher b/c of fair trade + organic status, but also because of the larger size. But I still would recommend them, I've had very good experiences with Rishi's black teas. Not the hugest selection, but a good selection.

+ Post Reply