looking for a simple tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jun 7th, '05, 14:54
Mod/Admin

looking for a simple tea

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 14:54

I've just returned from 6 months of studying in Siberia and I've fallen in love with tea. The only problem is that I can't seem to find the same kind of tea here like they drink over there. I don't like using tea bags - I'm looking for a simple black tea that I can mix with water and leave in a pot, and then just add that to hot water whenever I want tea. I've tried flavors like Earl Grey and English Breakfast, and I don't like them at all. I've always hated herbal teas as well. Surprisingly, the best tea I've had since I've been back is the kind they serve at Denny's. Do you have any recommendations for a simple tea without a real strange flavor? What about a good green tea without that strong green tea flavor? Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan Jones

Jun 7th, '05, 14:54
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 14:54

Dan,

The Soviet Union was at odds with Mao's China. And while geography would have suggested importing teas from China, the political situation favored imports from India and Sri Lanka. Old habits die hard. And while the Soviet Union is no more, much of the tea consumed in Russia continues to be Ceylon or Assam. You may locate examples of each at http://www.adagio.com/black/ceylon_sonata.html and http://www.adagio.com/black/assam_melody.html Hope this helps.

Michael

Jun 7th, '05, 14:55
Mod/Admin

by teachat » Jun 7th, '05, 14:55

Michael's advise is good. Just make sure, after you've brewed your primary pot of very strong tea, to SEPARATE the tea from the leaves. I.e.: take the leaves out of the water! Otherwise, you'll get horrible, bitter ink.

Traditionally, Russians would then pour a little bit of the strong tea, and add hot water from the samovar. There is no reason you can't add hot water from a freshly heated kettle!

I am not aware that Russians drink green tea. For this transaction, I use China KEEMUN. It is a deliciously nutty-tasting black tea, and you can brew it to very strong, concentrated specifications without it becoming bitter. (Use a lot of tea, and steep it for three minutes.)

In a Canadian Winter, it is the Water of Life!

E M Tello

Mod/Admin

kilimanjaro tea at www.treasuresofafrica.net

M.Dawodu

Mod/Admin

Dan,

I personally like a lot of fu fu tea with all the cinnamon and cardamon, but I understand what you are asking. Something natural, smooth and not overwhelming with all the different flavors. A site that I have found is www.nearandfartea.com. They sell at farmer's markets around florida (tampa and orland), but they have an on-line business also. They have many natural and non-blended teas there.

afhayden

+ Post Reply