Lapsang Souchong Eastern Style

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jan 25th, '14, 16:39

Re: Lapsang Souchong Eastern Style

by JeffMI » Jan 25th, '14, 16:39

I literally just brewed some Lapsang Souchong right before finding this thread. :)

I have been using the method of 1/4 the size of the brewing vessel and steeping for 30 secs for the first infusion and increasing the steep time by around 10 secs for each subsequent infusion. I use water that is just under boiling (the bubbles have just stopped).

I have a Sama Doyo brewing vessel (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMA-EC-20-High ... 5652892212) and the infusion basket is about 170 ml in size. Since the bottom is a convex shape, it is difficult to estimate what exactly 1/4 the volume would be but I do my best.

Does anyone have a tea to water ratio that I might be able to use to measure out an exact amount for brewing this type of Black tea Gongfu style?

Also, I am never quite sure if my subsequent infusion times are good or if they could be altered a bit. Still trying to figure that part out.

Jan 26th, '14, 17:27

by Ursinos » Jan 26th, '14, 17:27

So, I did something a bit different with the ginger thing this time :D Instead of slices of it in the pot, I made up a bottle of ginger syrup. (1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 3/4 cup sliced ginger, simmered for 15min). I've been using that to add a bit of sweet to the Lapsang.

Gotta say.... it works real nice :D

Aug 4th, '14, 14:06

by Alex » Aug 4th, '14, 14:06

My mums got like a nine or ten litre brown betty....got like an extra handle on other side.....like a chain gun from predator.

Aug 4th, '14, 16:23

by Evan Draper » Aug 4th, '14, 16:23

JeffMI wrote:I have a Sama Doyo brewing vessel ... Does anyone have a tea to water ratio that I might be able to use to measure out an exact amount for brewing this type of Black tea Gongfu style?
Per 100 mL, you might hear 3g of green tea recommended, 7g of wulong, 10g of puerh...who knows. This doesn't necessarily scale up to 350 mL.... 1 or 1.5 grams per 100 mL are good for a longer "Western steep." It's more important to experiment with ratios and infusion times so you know how they affect taste.
Alex wrote:My mums got like a nine or ten litre brown betty....got like an extra handle on other side.....like a chain gun from predator.
That is terrifying--I can imagine the garden club on their knees, begging for tea bags!

Sep 15th, '14, 02:28

by Guozhiliu1603 » Sep 15th, '14, 02:28

I prefer most of Dragon Well tea, which is a green tea also named Longjing Tea,A top-grade green tea from Longjing, West Lake, Hangzhou.But very difficult for availability of stock ,which am I ordering through Teanaga .The Longjing (Dragan well) tea is world renowned for its green color, pleasant fragrance, mellow taste and beautiful shape, namely “four certainly”. In appearance, Longjing (Dragan well) tea is roasted to smooth, flat, symmetrical tea tips on yellowish jade green color. But is this tea a Green tea??

+ Post Reply