Making traditional Masala chai with black tea.

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Re: Making traditional Masala chai with black tea.

Postby MEversbergII » Jul 2nd, '14, 14:35

Bit of a bump, but I got re-bit by the DIY Chai Masala bug recently, so I hunted around for recipes. I found this one:

http://thehathicooks.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -ever.html

I'd was deliberating over Assam or Darjeling (which I've yet to try, actually), but that post gave me something rather specific: Mamari. I'd not seen that word used before, so I looked about and got a large off Amazon for not a lot of money. Also picked up a Turkish warmer, to make dispensing much easier.

Once the tea and pot come in, I'm liable to gather up the spice mix at the local grocers (0 of which are Indian, sadly) and give it a go.

It's really high on black pepper, so it might need some modification to pass the test with the other half. I'd also like to try it with palm sugar, a la Jay's suggestion, but the first go will be brown or white. Is honey a common sweetener in India?

I'll also experiment with bottling and fridging this for hotter days/always having some on hand. Figuring by next weekend, I should have data.

M.
MEversbergII

Postby jayinhk » Jul 2nd, '14, 14:40

I believe honey was always used in ayurveda, but I've never seen anyone use it in tea in India (except for my mom, and she's spent most of her life in Hong Kong). ;)

I was just in Mumbai and wasn't in the mood for teabag tea...I took my own sencha and Chinese green, and my new kyusu too. I actually brought back 1.25 kg of coffee (primarily beans, but 500g of ground coffee with chicory too).
jayinhk

Making traditional Masala chai with black tea.

Postby Pig Hog » Jul 2nd, '14, 16:21

Bring a couple of scoops of tea, some cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, maybe black peppercorns, maybe some ginger to the boil in half a cup of water. And half a cup of milk (can play with the water/milk ratio) and sugar to taste and allow to simmer for about 5-10 mins.

Done.
Pig Hog

Postby MEversbergII » Jul 9th, '14, 09:41

Started giving this a go last weekend, and it turned out pretty good! Got better when I started using brown sugar instead of white (still need to try palm sugar or honey, though).

As a heads up to anyone present or in the future trying the above recipe, it makes a large amount of spice mix. I saw the amounts but didn't make the connection evidently. When you're using it only 1/8 - 1/4 tsp per cup, it is a HUGE supply. Dampens how much upfront the spices cost for sure. Also, a spouted pot or "Turkish Warmer" is a fantastic tool to have.

I'll probably be making little containers of some of this for others to try (ooo, maybe a teaswap thread?), and maybe playing with a few different types of mixes (maybe something lighter on the pepper).

M.
MEversbergII

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions