Irish vs. English Breakfast

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Irish vs. English Breakfast

Postby divintea » Dec 6th, '07, 12:19

Which do you gravitate towards? Is one better for the morning? And one at night? All-around better?
divintea

Postby Mary R » Dec 6th, '07, 12:53

If it comes down to that choice, I go with Irish. In my book, a breakfast tea has to give you the strength and kick-in-the-shins that some turn to coffee to deliver. For substance abuse value alone, Irish trumps English. I like the taste better too. :)
Mary R

Postby xine » Dec 6th, '07, 14:14

I find that Adagio's English Breakfast is a bit too strong and rich for me. I've had milder English Breakfast, but then it doesn't taste as good, because it's lack of bold flavors. I have to put milk in it to lighten it up. However, the Irish Breakfast is a bit milder, and I can drink it plain (which I ultimately prefer).

If you are able to drink black tea in the evening (I am far too sensitive to caffeine, that I have to stop drinking most teas by at least 6pm), I would recommend the Irish breakfast, for it's smoother qualities.
xine

Postby Chip » Dec 6th, '07, 16:30

...like deja vu all over again... forget who said that. That will bug me today.

Anyway...here is a thread that may also help

You say English, I say Irish
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby CynTEAa » Dec 6th, '07, 16:59

...like deja vu all over again...

I believe those are the immortal words of Yogi Berra. :)
CynTEAa

Postby Chip » Dec 6th, '07, 17:37

...Yep...how did I forget that. One can almost hear him say it even now. Thanx Cyn.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby CynTEAa » Dec 6th, '07, 18:23

:D Happy to help!
CynTEAa

Postby divintea » Dec 6th, '07, 18:45

So many thanks for tips, guys!

Is there one that actually has more caffeine than the other?? Or just how it makes you feel after...
divintea

Postby Mary R » Dec 6th, '07, 19:37

Irish B-fast blends are typically from Assam, and Assam typically grows a whole different subspecies than what's found in China. I'm probably wrong, but it's been my experience that the Assams of any leaf form are more buzz-worthy.
Mary R

Postby skywarrior » Dec 7th, '07, 02:34

xine wrote:I find that Adagio's English Breakfast is a bit too strong and rich for me. I've had milder English Breakfast, but then it doesn't taste as good, because it's lack of bold flavors. I have to put milk in it to lighten it up. However, the Irish Breakfast is a bit milder, and I can drink it plain (which I ultimately prefer).

Oddly enough, over the years I've had to stay away from Irish breakfast teas because they made me sick to my stomach. Too harsh. However, I haven't had any problems with a good Assam.

English breakfast? Generally no problems.
skywarrior

Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

Postby divintea » Dec 7th, '07, 12:25

Hm, interesting. Maybe there's something to be said for the strong Irish tummies. We can handle our Guinness.. and breakfast teas!
divintea

Postby KG » Jan 24th, '08, 11:23

For me, Irish is the way to go. The tea is as good as the beer.
KG

Postby Thirsty Daruma » Jan 24th, '08, 23:42

Me Irish grandma would probably kill me for saying so, but I prefer the smokier qualities of an English Breakfast to the more astringent Irish Breakfast. But really, both are fantastic accompaniments to fatty, buttery breakfasts.

Part of a complete breakfast, too.
Thirsty Daruma

Postby sykowch » Jan 26th, '08, 03:37

Mary R wrote:If it comes down to that choice, I go with Irish. In my book, a breakfast tea has to give you the strength and kick-in-the-shins that some turn to coffee to deliver. For substance abuse value alone, Irish trumps English. I like the taste better too. :)

Stash has a tea called Super Irish Breakfast Tea. It's advertised as the espresso of teas. I wouldn't recommend drinking it late in the day, but I love it. It's my every-day-gotta-have-it steaming hot cup of liquid crack.
sykowch

Postby skywarrior » Jan 27th, '08, 04:08

sykowch wrote:
Stash has a tea called Super Irish Breakfast Tea. It's advertised as the espresso of teas. I wouldn't recommend drinking it late in the day, but I love it. It's my every-day-gotta-have-it steaming hot cup of liquid crack.

STASH? :shock:
skywarrior

Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions