Adagio's "Rum Tea"?


Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Adagio's "Rum Tea"?

Postby evilive » Mar 24th, '08, 09:05

I just found this online...I adore rum. If it wasn't alcoholic, I would drink it morning, noon and night. Has anyone purchased this before? I ask because I live in Australia and shipping will be expensive so I don't want to regret this purchase; particuarly because I simply love rum and tea so much, I don't want this to be a let down.
So, has anyone (particuarly rum drinkers) tried this hopefuly delicious tea?
User avatar
evilive
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Nov 28th, '
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Postby omegapd » Mar 24th, '08, 11:02

Funny you mention that. I ordered some a couple of days ago. It should be here Wednesday and after I try it, I'll post back.

EW
User avatar
omegapd
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Feb 6th, '0
Location: enjoying a cup of Red Rose down in GA

Re: Adagio's "Rum Tea"?

Postby Chip » Mar 24th, '08, 13:54

evilive wrote:I just found this online...I adore rum. If it wasn't alcoholic, I would drink it morning, noon and night.


I doubt if it has alcohol in it, rum essence is my guess. Even if it has alcohol in it, it is likely trace amount til it reaches your mouth.

Ironically though, many extracts used in flavoring tea use an alcohol base/carrier...but again, it is minuscule amounts in a serving. But I think most tea flavorings are essences which are oil based I think.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22110
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Postby Pentox » Mar 24th, '08, 14:21

I'm pretty sure evilive meant real rum. I.e. if real rum wasn't alcoholic he/she'd drink it morning, noon and night.
User avatar
Pentox
 
Posts: 2034
Joined: Jan 14th, '
Location: CA

Postby Chip » Mar 24th, '08, 14:36

:oops: TeaBrained reply... :wink:
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22110
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Postby skywarrior » Mar 24th, '08, 16:32

Chip wrote::oops: TeaBrained reply... :wink:


No, that was lack of tea. :lol:
User avatar
skywarrior
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Aug 23rd, '
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

Postby Ladytiger » Mar 24th, '08, 18:35

I've had two different kind of rum tea, both fantastic. And nope, no alcohol in it.
User avatar
Ladytiger
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Jan 7th, '0
Location: Pennslyvania

Postby omegapd » Mar 25th, '08, 17:26

evilive,

I got my order in today and just finished my first cup of rum tea. The aroma of the dry leaves does not exactly smell like rum to me...more along the lines of an alcoholic vanilla drink. I brewed up one cup (1 tsp. tea) with boiling water and let it steep for 5 minutes like Adagio recommends. The taste is definitely "alcoholic" and is very well made. Still, rum (at least the types I used to drink- dark) is not exactly what I think of. I like it quite a bit, but if you are a real rum connoisseur, I think you may be somewhat disappointed in the flavor.

Think along the lines of Captain Morgan rum turned into hot tea. :wink:

Hope this helps.

EW
User avatar
omegapd
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Feb 6th, '0
Location: enjoying a cup of Red Rose down in GA

Postby Chip » Mar 25th, '08, 18:11

skywarrior wrote:
Chip wrote::oops: TeaBrained reply... :wink:


No, that was lack of tea. :lol:


True...always not enough tea!!! :shock: Just too much caffeine maybe...
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22110
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Postby evilive » Mar 25th, '08, 21:25

omegapd wrote:evilive,

I got my order in today and just finished my first cup of rum tea. The aroma of the dry leaves does not exactly smell like rum to me...more along the lines of an alcoholic vanilla drink. I brewed up one cup (1 tsp. tea) with boiling water and let it steep for 5 minutes like Adagio recommends. The taste is definitely "alcoholic" and is very well made. Still, rum (at least the types I used to drink- dark) is not exactly what I think of. I like it quite a bit, but if you are a real rum connoisseur, I think you may be somewhat disappointed in the flavor.

Think along the lines of Captain Morgan rum turned into hot tea. :wink:

Hope this helps.

EW

Thanks for that, will have to check some out :D
And yes Chip, I was talkign about real rum :P
User avatar
evilive
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Nov 28th, '
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Postby SirRocko711 » Mar 30th, '08, 20:44

Just tried it for the first time yesterday. As others have said, it has a very definite hint of alcohol, but I found the flavor to be missing something... can't quite put my finger on what. I'd give it 3.5/5
SirRocko711
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mar 29th, '

Postby go green » Apr 1st, '08, 18:18

There is a tea company called island rose tea from the bahamas that has a very tasty vanilla rum tea. It has more of a rum taste and a small hint of vanilla. It's very good, but it only comes in bags, not loose, if that is an issue with you.

http://www.island-rose.com/
User avatar
go green
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Oct 24th, '
Location: Indiana

Postby Chip » Apr 1st, '08, 18:23

Hmmm, could you put some rum in a spray bottle...spread some leaf out, give it a quick misting and let it dry. Might work. Rum essence is not going to match all the nuances of true rum which could be why the teas do not quite taste like rum.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22110
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation