2008 teas

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

2008 teas

Postby Ron Gilmour » Apr 4th, '08, 11:18

If I want to be sure I'm buying a tea from the 2008 crop, when should I order it? For a lot of stuff, I don't care if it's a year old, but for Darjeelings and greens I'd really like to know I'm getting the current year.
Ron Gilmour

Postby Pentox » Apr 4th, '08, 12:15

That really is a factor of what tea you are buying and the vendor. Part of the quality of a vendor is their willingness to tell you what year's harvest you are getting.
Pentox

Postby Chip » Apr 4th, '08, 15:11

...don't get me started on this subject... :wink:

It is great if a vendor shares this info right on their site. I am not thrilled with the whole concept of having to email and ask about each and every tea I might be interested in...too much of an inconvenience. I want to info up front.

Also, when it is right on the site, I tend to trust that more.

But otherwise, you have to ask. I do not buy any tea w/o at least knowing harvest info.

For most Keemun, I actually like them more with a little aging.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby insanitylater » Apr 4th, '08, 15:52

i'm wondering if the wegmans i go to will replace their teas. their suppliers are ito en, rishi, and republic of tea but if no one is buying any tea their canisters most likely just sit there :?

i should drop them an email or at least ask in person when i go
insanitylater

Postby Pentox » Apr 4th, '08, 16:05

I somewhat doubt they will. Rishi i've noticed has been getting a reputation for sending tea on a slow boat to here, putting a significant lag time on arrival. RoT doesn't even really have much harvest information for their tea, and Ito-en maybe, but I doubt it.

I think they'll just burn through their current stock and then resupply with whatever next comes in.
Pentox

Postby insanitylater » Apr 4th, '08, 16:40

next time i'm in nyc i need to stop by Ito-en
insanitylater

Postby Chip » Apr 4th, '08, 20:25

Labels in the USA generally do not show harvest info...instead they display the required by law expiration or best used by dates...blah blah blah.

I just want the harvest info and will determine the best used by date myself!!!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Trioxin » Apr 4th, '08, 23:38

For my darjeelings, I usually buy from speacialteas.com. You can check the whats new section and see exactly when the tea came in. Also this year I think I'm going to try ordering from teaemporium.com. They go as far as to separate their darjeelings by harvest, and I've noticed they remove old teas with each new harvest.
Trioxin

Instant Messenger

Permissions