Yixing Hong Cha

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jun 25th, '11, 08:36

Re: Yixing Hong Cha

by tieguanyin » Jun 25th, '11, 08:36

Seems Jing Tea Sop carries this particular one

Jun 25th, '11, 09:08

by auhckw » Jun 25th, '11, 09:08

A teapot maker from china in the Tea Expo was promoting this tea... yixing hong tea. He said it is his local tea more common than puerh

I really don't like red tea no matter how many attempts I tried... took a few sips... then no thank u

Jun 25th, '11, 12:19
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jun 25th, '11, 12:19

I have noticed people tend to love or hate Hongcha. I always have a large supply of Yixing Hongcha in my shops, but it is for myself. Nobody around here seems to like it. I do not mind. More for me. :D

Jun 25th, '11, 22:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jun 25th, '11, 22:38

I've had some yixing hong cha, but I'm not too experienced with the different varieties... what are the distinguishing qualities of the yixing type?

And stupid question time... "yunnan" named black teas (e.g. adagio's "yunnan noir") would be similar....?

Jun 27th, '11, 01:32

by wyardley » Jun 27th, '11, 01:32

Drax wrote:I've had some yixing hong cha, but I'm not too experienced with the different varieties... what are the distinguishing qualities of the yixing type?
There's a large leaf type and a smaller leaf type. I think they're all made from local green tea cultivars. I like them because they are pleasantly fruity and smooth. Depending on the tea and how it's brewed, sometimes you get a savory (almost tomato-y) taste or a dark chocolate taste. I think there are some similarities (if only from being heavily oxidized) to Oriental Beauty as well. Yixing hong cha (sometimes called yangxian hong cha, after the older name for Yixing) is one of my favorite tea rut teas, and I like it better than many other Chinese red teas I've tried.

Also, usually it's not too expensive.

I just tried a little of the Jing one; so far, I'm not liking it quite as much as the one I had before, which I don't think was an especially distinguished or expensive tea, but which was very nice. Sadly, that one is all gone.

Jul 4th, '11, 03:57

by yinwenqian » Jul 4th, '11, 03:57

most of yixing people drink yixing hongcha ,we always pick tea and make tea by ourselves

Aug 30th, '11, 01:58

by tingjunkie » Aug 30th, '11, 01:58

I enjoy some Yixing Red from time to time :D . I associate the tea with notes of roasted almonds and a hint of baking cocoa or very dark chocolate. I've only tried a few of these teas, but so far Tim carries the nicest one I've had. http://www.themandarinstearoom.com/2010 ... _p_36.html

I tend to go easy on the Chinese red teas. I can drink yancha that would peel wallpaper without any problem, but if I push the reds, I get an uncomfortable headache.

Aug 30th, '11, 11:33

by brandon » Aug 30th, '11, 11:33

tingjunkie wrote: I tend to go easy on the Chinese red teas. I can drink yancha that would peel wallpaper without any problem, but if I push the reds, I get an uncomfortable headache.
Me too.

Aug 30th, '11, 13:39

by teaisme » Aug 30th, '11, 13:39

hum interesting you guys have any idea why that is?

Aug 30th, '11, 23:03

by tingjunkie » Aug 30th, '11, 23:03

Not really. :?

Aug 30th, '11, 23:07

by brandon » Aug 30th, '11, 23:07

teaisme wrote:hum interesting you guys have any idea why that is?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wine_headache

Some speculation on this common but not fully understood phenomenon.

Aug 30th, '11, 23:10

by tingjunkie » Aug 30th, '11, 23:10

Funny thing is I can drink lots of red wine and not get any headache. Maybe because I never drink the really cheap wine? Not sure. Yixing hong cha is not super cheap tea, but maybe the tannins are extra high?

Aug 30th, '11, 23:16
Vendor Member

by TIM » Aug 30th, '11, 23:16

tingjunkie wrote:Funny thing is I can drink lots of red wine and not get any headache. Maybe because I never drink the really cheap wine? Not sure. Yixing hong cha is not super cheap tea, but maybe the tannins are extra high?
Plantation young bushes? Perhaps too much chemical?

Aug 30th, '11, 23:42

by wh&yel-apprentice » Aug 30th, '11, 23:42

brandon wrote:
teaisme wrote:hum interesting you guys have any idea why that is?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wine_headache

Some speculation on this common but not fully understood phenomenon.
^are you referring to wine in tj's post, or headache w/regards to tea, as the similarity of tannins is not very distinct, imho. Besides that, wiki is too general on the RWH issue, I've had plenty of Cru Beaujo's with noticeable tannins, and searing high tannin levels in Bourgogne also. I do get a headache from cheap red wines, but can't recall any headaches from quality wines w/high tannin levels.

Never had a tea with any noticeable tannin levels...that stick to the roof of your mouth/cheeks to teeth kind of high tannin levels in wine.
TIM wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Funny thing is I can drink lots of red wine and not get any headache. Maybe because I never drink the really cheap wine? Not sure. Yixing hong cha is not super cheap tea, but maybe the tannins are extra high?
Plantation young bushes? Perhaps too much chemical?
Perhaps lower mtn garden/farmed vs higher mtn, wild tree teas, akin to cheap red wines :D ?

+ Post Reply