Golden Yunnan vendors lately?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 31st, '08, 18:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by silverneedles » Jul 31st, '08, 18:45

mmm.... tasty
i been drinking that for the past couple days, trying to finish a 6month old stock...
all gold one is good, has alot of flavor,

i prefer the other one from YSLLC - the Yunnan Black Gold
just a hint of smokyness to it imho imho

Jul 31st, '08, 18:45

by Bubba_tea » Jul 31st, '08, 18:45

Yup - another bloody Canadian! Actually I'm in Springfield MO now. Actually, watch out! We're everywhere now. We look like Americans, smell like Americans, and almost sound like Americans except for a few little things that experts can pick out. One day the grand pooba will give the order and we'll rise up and have a Molson.. :lol:

Shogun - thanks for the linky there. I had shied away from the golden tips as they usually didn't have as much flavor as the #2 grades I've tried. If that's it, your picture is going up in the garage! I did have one of the Rishi yunnans a while back that was pretty good and almost peppery. My daily drink is Ten Ren's #2 yunnan - I didn't think the #1 had much body to it.

I wrote that YSLLC guy on ebay but haven't received a response - anyone else have luck contacting him?

They have quite a few!

Early Spring 2008 "Banna Black Gold" Black Tea *
Flowering Black Teacone
Yunnan Black Gold
Yunnan Pure Small Bud Black Tea * Gold Tips *
Premium Simao Black Tea * Hong Piao Xiang *
Dian Hong "Jin Hao" Black Tea * Spring 2007 *

Geeze - that's a lot of money to spend... wish there was a sample pack!!!

Jul 31st, '08, 20:06

by Salsero » Jul 31st, '08, 20:06

Bubba_tea wrote: We look like Americans, smell like Americans, and almost sound like Americans except for a few little things that experts can pick out. One day the grand pooba will give the order and we'll rise up and have a Molson
And apparently are as crazy as Americans too. Molson, you say. I will be vigilent for this substance.
Bubba_tea wrote: I wrote that YSLLC guy on ebay but haven't received a response - anyone else have luck contacting him?
Generally, Scott is good about replying to questions. I have found the pure gold bud to be too smooth and bland for me, but Mary R and others have loved it. I have some of the one called Simao and have not been too crazy about it. Generally I have been happier with the ones that have more black mixed in with the gold buds and not called Simao. The last excellent one I had is sold out now. It was a 2006 harvest.

Jul 31st, '08, 20:55

by joelbct » Jul 31st, '08, 20:55

Bubba_tea wrote:I wrote that YSLLC guy on ebay but haven't received a response - anyone else have luck contacting him?
He should get back to you before long. Don't fret...

And yes, welcome to TeaChat. We'll be on the lookout for that Poobah-Ordered Canadian Uprising (intelligence leak in aisle 6) ;)

Aug 1st, '08, 10:09

by Bubba_tea » Aug 1st, '08, 10:09

Hey all - just to be sure, which one of the yunnans have the (most) peppery flavor? I see some of the 2008 crop is out - how are they?

Aug 1st, '08, 11:07

by silverneedles » Aug 1st, '08, 11:07

i never get the peppery association... its not stinging in any way, and i dont find much similarity in flavor that i automatically say pepper....
am i missing some taste bud sensors here or flavor experiences???

Aug 1st, '08, 12:07

by henley » Aug 1st, '08, 12:07

silverneedles wrote:i never get the peppery association... its not stinging in any way, and i dont find much similarity in flavor that i automatically say pepper....
am i missing some taste bud sensors here or flavor experiences???
I was the same way. I kept expecting a peppery bite. Like others told me, think more of sweet peppers instead. YG kinda reminded me of hot pepper jelly for lack of a better description.

Aug 1st, '08, 12:18

by silverneedles » Aug 1st, '08, 12:18

you mean these?

Aug 1st, '08, 17:54

by joelbct » Aug 1st, '08, 17:54

silverneedles wrote:i never get the peppery association...
Describing flavor is always a challenge, but I think "Malty" is a slightly more accurate word for GY than "Peppery..." Not quite Malty like an Assam (although actually Assam and Yunnan are geographically close so perhaps have somewhat similar terroir/climate and C. sinensis var. assamica-heavy strains (big leaf, bold tea).

Yunnan (top) and Assam (below):

More links:
Yunnan Tea Wikipedia
Yunnan Province General Wiki
Assam Tourism Site ;)

Oh and PS, tried the Adagio Golden Yunnan sample today. Def. a serviceable and above-average Yunnan- tippy, and smooth.

Aug 1st, '08, 22:24

by Bubba_tea » Aug 1st, '08, 22:24

I really do mean 'pepper'. It's exactly like a fresh ground black pepper taste in the tea - it's not hard to miss! I do understand the malty you guys are describing - but it's been a looooong time since I've had a real good black pepper tea. I think the last time I bought some Yunnan from Rishi it did have some pepper to it - and I just got my dragon egg yi xing, gai wan, and various teas delivered so I'll have to check it out again.

Aug 1st, '08, 22:25

by chamekke » Aug 1st, '08, 22:25

Bubba_tea wrote:Yup - another bloody Canadian! Actually I'm in Springfield MO now. Actually, watch out! We're everywhere now. We look like Americans, smell like Americans, and almost sound like Americans except for a few little things that experts can pick out. One day the grand pooba will give the order and we'll rise up and have a Molson.. :lol:
Shhh! The first rule about Canuck Club... :wink:

And whatever you do, don't let on about Canadian raising (no coincidence that it sounds like Canadian uprising!).

Aug 1st, '08, 22:32

by Salsero » Aug 1st, '08, 22:32

chamekke wrote: ... Canadian raising ...
OMG, it keeps getting worse!

Aug 1st, '08, 22:39

by RussianSoul » Aug 1st, '08, 22:39

Salsero wrote:
chamekke wrote: ... Canadian raising ...
OMG, it keeps getting worse!
I had no idea!!! :shock:

[frantically looks for a place to hide her tea]

Aug 2nd, '08, 00:50

by Bubba_tea » Aug 2nd, '08, 00:50

chamekke wrote:And whatever you do, don't let on about Canadian raising (no coincidence that it sounds like Canadian uprising!).
Wow! I didn't even know it was called anything. We know what it is... imagine that, now they've even named it!! Bob & Doug Makenzie better be on the OnDemand cable service. I feel a Strange Brew coming on... 8)

Aug 3rd, '08, 23:17

by Bubba_tea » Aug 3rd, '08, 23:17

Salsero wrote:Generally, Scott is good about replying to questions. I have found the pure gold bud to be too smooth and bland for me, but Mary R and others have loved it. I have some of the one called Simao and have not been too crazy about it. Generally I have been happier with the ones that have more black mixed in with the gold buds and not called Simao. The last excellent one I had is sold out now. It was a 2006 harvest.
Salsero - Is that Simao you mentioned above the 2008 variety? I been reading negative reports about the 2007 tea, but hopefully 2008 will turn out better.

Has anyone tried the other mentioned?
  • Early Spring 2008 "Banna Black Gold" Black Tea *
    Flowering Black Teacone
    Yunnan Black Gold
    Yunnan Pure Small Bud Black Tea * Gold Tips *
    Premium Simao Black Tea * Hong Piao Xiang *
    Dian Hong "Jin Hao" Black Tea * Spring 2007 *

+ Post Reply