Ordering black tea from india?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Sep 23rd, '08, 09:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Sep 23rd, '08, 09:13

I've never tried that particular vendor, but I've had good experiences with Lochan Tea Ltd. and Thunderbolt Tea (if you can live with paying an arm/leg for courier shipping). Also Silver Tips Tea is supposed to be good, but I haven't tried them.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Sep 23rd, '08, 09:48

by Salsero » Sep 23rd, '08, 09:48

Like Scruff, I have had good luck with Lochan Tea and Thunderbolt Tea. Also, I think their shipping costs may be more modest now than they have been in the past. I have seen stories on other forums where people have had problems with lost packages from Thunderbolt and trouble contacting the company.

Most recently I have been happy with Tea Emporium that was suggested to me by Trioxin. They offer free shipping but have a $50 minimum order.

I am interested to hear about your experience with Golden Tips if you do order from them. BTW, I think you need to edit a period out of your link to their site. Here's the link without the period: http://www.goldentipstea.com
Last edited by Salsero on Sep 23rd, '08, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 23rd, '08, 12:08

by Victoria » Sep 23rd, '08, 12:08

Your link is bad - But no, I have not heard of them.

The teas from Lochan Tea are very good, but as mentioned the shipping is really high, surprisingly so. Especially since shipping was invoiced separately after I placed the order. So I had to decide if I wanted to cancel the order or pay the high shipping. It was worth it one time, not sure I'd do it again.

Oct 3rd, '08, 21:37

by joelbct » Oct 3rd, '08, 21:37

Victoria wrote:Your link is bad - But no, I have not heard of them
Take out the period at the end, just http://www.goldentipstea.com

This Assams looks gorgeous! I love that they post the wet leaf and liquor pics in addition to the dry leaf, that earns a few trustworthiness-points in my book...

Bit pricey for an Assam, $22 US for 100 grams. I suppose it's partly a factor of the lousy dollar. And generally if an Indian Tea is that expensive it means it's very good and in demand- their auctions are pretty accurate.

This 2nd Flush Castleton looks great too.

I see goldentips has a $75 minimum for US orders, but that includes shipping. $75 on 1/2 a pound of top-grade Assam and Darjeeling in perilous times like these might be questionable... but then again, we only live once!
Last edited by joelbct on Oct 3rd, '08, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 3rd, '08, 21:41

by Victoria » Oct 3rd, '08, 21:41

Wow, that's a beauty! Very tempting indeed!

Oct 4th, '08, 00:15

by kymidwife » Oct 4th, '08, 00:15

Oi... I am on such a Darjeeling kick here... that link is tempting me. If anyone tries out this vendor, please report back... hate to make such a big order to an unknown entity.

But I am having Darjeeling lust.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

+ Post Reply