Tarry Lapsang Souchong


Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Tarry Lapsang Souchong

Postby JM » Oct 7th, '08, 11:49

Is there a difference between Lapsang Souchong and Tarry Lapsang?
User avatar
JM
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Feb 26th, '

Postby olivierco » Oct 7th, '08, 13:16

According to some sellers including Palais des thés, it seems that Tarry Lapsang is from Taiwan and also that it is stronger.
User avatar
olivierco
 
Posts: 3375
Joined: Feb 8th, '0
Location: France

Postby Chip » Oct 7th, '08, 15:29

olivierco wrote:According to some sellers including Palais des thés, it seems that Tarry Lapsang is from Taiwan and also that it is stronger.


Heh, given the definition of tarry, I would expect it to be VERY strong. I prefer my tea without the tar. :twisted: I always thought tarry was simply added by some vendors to indicate its tarry like intensity.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22198
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Postby JM » Oct 7th, '08, 20:17

Chip wrote:Heh, given the definition of tarry, I would expect it to be VERY strong. I prefer my tea without the tar. :twisted: I always thought tarry was simply added by some vendors to indicate its tarry like intensity.


What is "tar?"
User avatar
JM
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Feb 26th, '

Postby JM » Oct 7th, '08, 20:21

Found this :

Tarry: Tea taster's term for teas that have been fired over smoky flames, imparting a smoky flavor
User avatar
JM
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Feb 26th, '

Postby tsverrir » Oct 8th, '08, 04:19

I've only once tasted Lapsang Souchong. I suspect it to be a low quality one. I kind of liked the taste but would have liked it to taste a little bit like tea also (that is too much tarry taste and almost no tea taste). Is that normal for Lapsang Souchong? if not could someone point out to me a good one to try?
User avatar
tsverrir
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Aug 11th, '
Location: Iceland

Postby JM » Oct 8th, '08, 13:14

tsverrir wrote:I kind of liked the taste but would have liked it to taste a little bit like tea also (that is too much tarry taste and almost no tea taste). Is that normal for Lapsang Souchong? if not could someone point out to me a good one to try?


Good question.
User avatar
JM
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Feb 26th, '

Postby chad » Oct 8th, '08, 14:24

tsverrir wrote:I've only once tasted Lapsang Souchong. I suspect it to be a low quality one. I kind of liked the taste but would have liked it to taste a little bit like tea also (that is too much tarry taste and almost no tea taste). Is that normal for Lapsang Souchong? if not could someone point out to me a good one to try?


I've been working through some I got from my local tea shop. The source was Metropolitan Tea out of Toronto. Metropolitan is wholesale only so you'd have to research a local source.

The one I have is the #1 Lapsang Souchong "something something"...sorry, don't have the name close at hand. It has a very pronounced oak smoke essence...after I learned to back off the steep time to about 3 minutes I thought it was very nice. The tea is smooth and then the oak "smell"comes up and let's you know it's there. I had no "tarry" taste. A couple of other tea drinkers around the office have tried it and generally approve.
User avatar
chad
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sep 17th, '
Location: Clearwater, FL, USA


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation