First Flush Darjeelings

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 14th, '08, 17:40
Scrolling: scrolling

First Flush Darjeelings

by Victoria » Oct 14th, '08, 17:40

Ok in the spirit of trying to get more interest going in Black teas -

Tell me what is your favorite FF Darjeeling?

I fell in love when I tried Adagio Spring Darjeeling. What others have captured your attention?
Last edited by Victoria on Oct 14th, '08, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 14th, '08, 17:53

by geeber1 » Oct 14th, '08, 17:53

I've only had a couple of the Adagio Darjeelings in sample size and just recently bought a tin of #22.

Can you suggest a site to get good samples of Darjeelings and Nilgiris?

Oct 14th, '08, 19:49

by Victoria » Oct 14th, '08, 19:49

I was gearing this post more towards Spring or First Flush Darjeelings, which are geener and a bit more astringent, it seems.

I too would like to find more samples, like Adagio offers, but I really don't know of others besides Upton and they kinda scare me. I have heard good things about their blacks, but their oolongs IMHO are pretty bad. And since I am wanting a Darjeeling that is very fresh and green, I am not too interested in looking there.

TeaSource has some great ones, but no samples.

Oct 14th, '08, 21:02

by kymidwife » Oct 14th, '08, 21:02

I'd love to hear everyone's sources for the greener Darjeelings too! Most of the 1st flush options are currently out of stock everywhere, but I am soooo looking forward to their arrivals!

I've had 2 first flushes from Teavana... the Darjeeling Puttabong (really liked my first purchase of this tea very much but the 2nd time I bought it from a different location, the tea was not quite as fresh)and the Maharani Darjeeling chestlet (cute little box and the tea is really delicious, totally fresh, very greenish and yummy). I think Adagio's Darjeeling #1 is supposed to be a 1st flush from Risheehat estate whereas the Spring Darjeeling (which I haven't tried yet, sigh) is from the Sungma estate? I loved Darjeeling #1 very much, although it wasn't quite as good as the Maharani from Teavana, surprisingly.

I have enjoyed 2 really nice Darjeelings from Tea Emporium thanks to some samples sent to me by Salsero... one Castleton Moonlight and one Risheehat Flowery, both 2nd flushes. They were both totally enjoyable and made me wish I could have experienced them in 1st flush... so I am lustfully waiting. I hope I am not tired of Darjeelings by then.

I have a tin of Darjeeling 22 but it's just not hitting the spot for me. If we do a black box pass, Dj22 may go on a traveling road show.

Will be watching this thread with great interest... Darjeeling drinkers, step forward!

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Oct 14th, '08, 21:17

by Salsero » Oct 14th, '08, 21:17

kymidwife wrote: Castleton Moonlight ... and made me wish I could have experienced them in 1st flush... so I am lustfully waiting.
The Castleton first flush this year was knee-buckling. It was gifted to me by Trioxin. It also sold out ages ago, as he likes to remind us constantly!

Oct 14th, '08, 22:31

by kymidwife » Oct 14th, '08, 22:31

Salsero wrote:The Castleton first flush this year was knee-buckling. It was gifted to me by Trioxin. It also sold out ages ago, as he likes to remind us constantly!
There's a Castleton 1st flush still available on TeaSource, but it's not the Moonlight one. Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks alot Victoria. :x

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Oct 15th, '08, 01:01

by Trioxin » Oct 15th, '08, 01:01

Salsero wrote:
kymidwife wrote: Castleton Moonlight ... and made me wish I could have experienced them in 1st flush... so I am lustfully waiting.
The Castleton first flush this year was knee-buckling. It was gifted to me by Trioxin. It also sold out ages ago, as he likes to remind us constantly!
I would never...

Oct 15th, '08, 03:00

Re: First Flush Darjeelings

by olivierco » Oct 15th, '08, 03:00

Victoria wrote:Ok in the spirit of trying to get more interest going in Black teas -

Tell me what is your favorite FF Darjeeling?
I had four FF Darjeelings this years.

Namring SFTGFOP1 (Mariage frères)
Puttabong SFTGFOP1, Risheehat SFTGFOP1, Phuguri FGTFOP1 (Palais des thés)

The Phuguri is my favorite one this year: big complex floral taste with the right astringency. The Namring is close, but the taste is more straightforward. Puttabong and Risheehat are more classical Darjeelings.

Oct 15th, '08, 03:08

by cerulean » Oct 15th, '08, 03:08

I just started to get interested in first flush Darjeelings over this summer, so I don't have much experience with them, but the Castleton FTGFOP1 from Upton is pretty good stuff. It has a rich asparagus taste with some spicy and sweet flavors and a strong herbal aroma. I tried a sample a couple of months ago and had to splurge on a full 100 grams.

Oct 15th, '08, 08:40

by Chip » Oct 15th, '08, 08:40

Victoria wrote: I too would like to find more samples, like Adagio offers, but I really don't know of others besides Upton and they kinda scare me. I have heard good things about their blacks. And since I am wanting a Darjeeling that is very fresh and green, I am not too interested in looking there.
Upton seems to specialize in Indian and Ceylon teas. Although I have been critical of Upton at times, I think they have good Darjeeling, but it has been a few years since I ordered from them. The key with them is to look at the NEW offerings, the new first flush will be there, but this late in the season, you would likely have to contact them about individual teas, something I refuse to do since they have sooooo many. But in the Spring, you can easily follow them as they become available. Not quite as exciting as shincha, but still fun.

Another point with Upton Darjeeling, you have to pick a price point since they have virtually every price point available. I never go low budget on Darjeeling, too risky, but their mid range ones were pretty good. I try to stick w/in a price range so I can then compare apples to apples.

2 gardens I like are Makaibari and Arya. Both are organic. which appealed to me coming from India, a country that is more interested in exporting their tea than consuming it.

Oct 16th, '08, 19:56

by Grubby » Oct 16th, '08, 19:56

OH GOD Darjeeling is SO CASH, FF is good but SF, MY FRIGGIN GOD IS THAT SHIT AWESOME OR WHAT?

Oct 17th, '08, 02:37

by Trioxin » Oct 17th, '08, 02:37

Grubby wrote:OH GOD Darjeeling is SO CASH, FF is good but SF, MY FRIGGIN GOD IS THAT SHIT AWESOME OR WHAT?
Don't hold back or anything. Tell us how you really feel.

Oct 28th, '08, 13:49

by VinceBLG » Oct 28th, '08, 13:49

I think of all the places I've ordered tea from specialteas.com had the best selection and more high quality Darjeeling selections than any other (that I know of).

I think teasource and specialteas are the same place.
Regards,

Vincent

www.BeanLeafGrape.com

Oct 28th, '08, 14:08

by Victoria » Oct 28th, '08, 14:08

VinceBLG wrote: I think teasource and specialteas are the same place.
Not sure why you think that.
I am certain they are not.

Oct 28th, '08, 15:17

by tenuki » Oct 28th, '08, 15:17

I think I have two here from teasource that is yet to be open. I'll try to do that tomorrow and get back to y'all
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

+ Post Reply