What in the world is Typhoo?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 26th, '08, 19:15

by JM » Oct 26th, '08, 19:15

Thanks EW.

Oct 26th, '08, 19:19

by edkrueger » Oct 26th, '08, 19:19

Thanks for nothing EW. :twisted:

Oct 26th, '08, 21:09

by JM » Oct 26th, '08, 21:09

It's on sale at every super market in my town, I can't find PG at all.

Oct 29th, '08, 21:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Oct 29th, '08, 21:13

I was bred on Typhoo tea, we drank it 3 times a day in the 1950's our family like to brew it strongish, and we all had it with a small amount of milk and sugar - except Mother who was used to Tea without sugar because of rationing in the war.

The local water was clear and unadulterated coming just 5 miles from lake Ennerdale. When I had it or PG Tips or Tetley or Yorkshire tea at relatives houses where the water was unbearably soft or far too hard I DID NOT LIKE any tea.

But back home in the Lake District Typhoo was in my opinion the best.

When they introduced Tea Bags I felt the quality dipped a little. I don't know if there is any difference in the quality of the Loose and bagged teas these days but when tea bags first appeared I believe there was - Did i read somewhear that there is more Tear and cut in a bagged tea ?

Typhoo once put an advert out (which ran for about 5 years) that said

Typhoo put the tea in BriTain.

Below are some extracts from the British Press in the last 2 years

Despite the drink's waning popularity, Britons are still the world's second biggest tea drinkers - behind the Turks but ahead of the Indians.

Yet in recent years, something odd has happened to the British cuppa. While sales in 'black' tea, the sort you find in your standard supermarket-brand bag, have been falling for years, sales of herbal, fruit and, most notably, green teas - the latter packed with antioxidants and good for the immune system - are booming

Typhoo has around a 10% share of the British tea market, lagging well behind Unilever PLC's PG Tips and Tata Tea Ltd's Tetley, both of which command 20% market shares.
Unlike its two bigger rivals, Typhoo does not have any tea plantations, which Schofield says puts it at a disadvantage.

This page hosts 23 Typhoo Video Adverts
http://www.visit4info.com/brand/Typhoo-Tea-Range/4350

Oct 29th, '08, 21:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Oct 29th, '08, 21:23

Sadly the Typhoo website does not mention what kind of tea it uses - I expect their master tea blender has an end product in mind and will blend from any available sources to achieve what he regards as the Typhoo Taste

their resourcing page is as follows

http://www.typhoo.com/teasourcing.php

Tea Sourcing

At Ty.phoo we have a long tradition of working closely with our suppliers. Our dedicated team of tasters travel extensively throughout the World to source the finest teas for our blends. By keeping in regular contact with the best estates we always ensure that we have the pick of the crop. We play an active role at all levels of tea manufacture, from the selection of plant varieties, to evaluation of new dryers, to experiments with packaging material.

This close contact with our suppliers enabled us in 1992 to launch our Quality Assurance Programme (QAP), our in-house supplier monitoring programme. Ty.phoo was the first tea company to send its buyers to look at every aspect of life on the tea estate. We started to monitor field & factory quality standards, health & safety issues, hygiene and food safety, product quality and much more.

In the beginning our suppliers were not used to their customers taking such an active interest in the running of a tea estate. However, there was soon a realisation that through working together with us standards could be improved where necessary. The purpose of QAP is that we understand that certain standards are maintained and met and that we work together with our suppliers to improve these. In other words we want to drive a process of continuous improvements.

We, for our part have learned a lot about the high standards that our suppliers are maintaining in some very isolated parts of the world.

As tea is mostly plucked by hand very many people are involved in producing the tea we buy. For each kilo of tea we use in the Ty.phoo blend about 4.5 kilos of fresh tea leaves have been plucked! Therefore, through our QAP programme we spend a lot of effort to understand the living and working conditions of those involved producing tea for Ty.phoo. This plays a big part of our selection process of our suppliers.

Ty.phoo was instrumental in the formation of the Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI), and is a core member of ETI which is an organisation where business, unions and charity organisations work together on ethical trading in supply chains. We monitor our suppliers against the ETI Base Code. For further information on the ETI and ethical trading please visit: http://www.ethicaltrade.org/

In summary, at Ty.phoo we are proud that we take great care in selecting the tea gardens, which supply us with the pick of their crops and give you a great cup of tea everytime. So we ensure you can enjoy and trust your favourite OO.

Oct 29th, '08, 22:24

by murrius » Oct 29th, '08, 22:24

[quote="Ashiro"]

The taste is one of.....tree bark. Tasteless tree bark.

This is definately the quote of the day for me. :D Thank you Ashiro.

I think that a person could meditate on this phrase in order to achieve enlightenment.

Oct 30th, '08, 10:19

by Ashiro » Oct 30th, '08, 10:19

omegapd wrote:
Ashiro wrote: I can't imagine its surpassed PG or Tetley though - has anyone numbers on this?
Nope, sorry. I actually read that in a brochure from a company selling it, so there you go. Here's some interesting reading on the brand if anyone is interested, though.

http://www.englishteastore.com/typhoo-history.html
That makes me very sad. It shows an epidemic of bad taste. :(

Oct 30th, '08, 16:39

by geeber1 » Oct 30th, '08, 16:39

http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.30621460.jpg
With this little item, you can always carry your Typhoo with you! :)

Nov 19th, '08, 10:22

by jayde » Nov 19th, '08, 10:22

I gotta agree with Ashiro here.

My grandma gave me a box of Typhoo. I think I had nightmares for a week.

+ Post Reply