Stash Yellow Kuan Yin

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 26th, '08, 18:07
Scrolling: scrolling

Stash Yellow Kuan Yin

by Victoria » Oct 26th, '08, 18:07

No, I'm not posting in the wrong forum - this is Stash Yellow Kuan Yin Black.

"This black tea features the wonderful fragrance of Ti Kuan Yin along with its characteristic lovely finish. It is grown from hybrid bushes of Orchid Oolong and Ti Kuan Yin. Only available in the United States for less than 15 years, this tea comes from the village of Tong Mu in Fujian province."

In the interest of "I'll try any tea once", here is another black loose leaf from Stash that sounded interesting. This is a VERY fruity black. Those of you who like that aspect will be quite pleased with this tea. It has the muscatel taste of a Darjeeling without any astringency. Falling somewhere between a wuyi and a black, it is interesting. As I have noted before with these what I would call "concept blacks", they might make a nice rotational morning tea.

Oct 26th, '08, 18:17

by caligatia » Oct 26th, '08, 18:17

Sounds interesting. I haven't tried Stash's loose leaf, although I did buy some bags of English Breakfast and Black Chai a while back before I got picky about tea. The bags weren't bad...

Oct 26th, '08, 18:20

by Chip » Oct 26th, '08, 18:20

Now that sounds INTERESTING! Years ago, I had Stash's green version of this that was also interesting. I don't know if they offer it any more.

This one has peeked my interest. Thanks for sharing!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 26th, '08, 20:27

by Victoria » Oct 26th, '08, 20:27

caligatia wrote:Sounds interesting. I haven't tried Stash's loose leaf, although I did buy some bags of English Breakfast and Black Chai a while back before I got picky about tea. The bags weren't bad...
I'll include a sample of this one too, if you'd like!
:)

Oct 26th, '08, 22:46

by caligatia » Oct 26th, '08, 22:46

Victoria wrote:I'll include a sample of this one too, if you'd like!
You're a very nice person. I'll owe you some tea when I get more of an assortment!

Oct 26th, '08, 22:55

by Victoria » Oct 26th, '08, 22:55

Awww that's ok, I have so much!!
No need to reciprocate.
Pay it forward.

Nov 1st, '08, 21:55

by caligatia » Nov 1st, '08, 21:55

This was a really interesting tea. It's a touch too floral for my tastes, but I'm definitely glad I tried it. If the floral element had been dialed down just a touch it would be perfect. The other notes were really enjoyable once I adjusted to the flowery aroma.

Thanks again Victoria!

Nov 1st, '08, 22:00

by Chip » Nov 1st, '08, 22:00

*wants*
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 19th, '09, 16:07

by Aphroditea » May 19th, '09, 16:07

I just ran into this tea on a Google search for Black Kuan Yin. There is a Fujian Black Kuan Yin at my local tearoom and after having a pot I became very curious!

The tea at Steeping Room had a woody, honeyed flavor with some floral undertones. It smelled heavily of honey, actually. It was a rather light black tea, but with a wonderfully complex taste.

I have not really been a fan of Stash, but I was curious if their Yellow Kuan Yin Black is similar to the Fujian version I had.

I plan on buying some leaf of the Kuan Yin Black from SR, but would like to know if it would be worth also getting some of the Stash KYB. Folks who have had it, what are your thoughts?

+ Post Reply