TeaSource

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 29th, '08, 21:40

TeaSource

by Cinnamon Kitty » Oct 29th, '08, 21:40

I'm definitely going to be placing an order with TeaSource soon for some black teas. Beyond the Glendale Estate, Handmade Nilgiri, are there any other black tea must-haves from there?

Oct 29th, '08, 21:48

by geeber1 » Oct 29th, '08, 21:48

CK, the "regular" Nilgiri Glendale is good. The Nilgiri Tamil Nadu blend is good for iced tea. It's really small CTC and I didn't like it hot, but great for iced. Didn't care much for the Organic Nilgiri.

The Dooars Oodlabari is good too. I haven't ordered any others from them, but I'm sure that there are lots of other people who have.

Hope this is helpful. :)

Oct 29th, '08, 21:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Oct 29th, '08, 21:57

I just reordered the Glenburn Wiry Vintage - fantastic. Perhaps this is the one you mean CK. I think I have been incorrectly referring to this as Glenburn Estate.
I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Also here's a pitch for the White Assam - it is fantastic, if you enjoy whites.

Oct 29th, '08, 22:09

by TeaCompulsion » Oct 29th, '08, 22:09

I've had about a dozen of their unblended blacks, but it should be noted I prefer light to medium-bodied teas and don't care for the ones that hit you over the head with a YOU-ARE-DRINKING-TEA-by-four.

I loved their Malaysian Highlands. Very smooth and flavorful. I thought their Grand Keemun was great if one wants to be clubbed over the head with one's tea, and my note on their Keemun Yi Ji was "great if in the mood for something weird".

For blended blacks, I'm fond of their Irish Breakfast because it does taste exactly like what my host family drank when I did a study abroad in Ireland. I also thought the Nilgiri Tamil Nadu Blend was a nice one for a straight classic black flavor as opposed to the malty taste expected in an Irish Breakfast.

Oct 29th, '08, 22:31

by Cinnamon Kitty » Oct 29th, '08, 22:31

Victoria wrote:I just reordered the Glenburn Wiry Vintage - fantastic. Perhaps this is the one you mean CK. I think I have been incorrectly referring to this as Glenburn Estate.
I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Also here's a pitch for the White Assam - it is fantastic, if you enjoy whites.
I added an extra comma in the name on accident. The only one I knew of was the Glendale Estate Handmade Nilgiri. It is listed on the TeaSource website as "Nilgiri, Glendale Estate, Handmade" so an extra comma got added to my wording when I typed it in given the amount of commas in the original title. So not your fault. :lol:

Oct 29th, '08, 22:48

by Victoria » Oct 29th, '08, 22:48

Ok, now i'm really confused but in addition to the Handmade I also recommend
the Glenburn Wiry Vintage.

Oct 29th, '08, 22:54

by Salsero » Oct 29th, '08, 22:54

I liked the Blink Bonnie Green which is listed as a Ceylon green tea, but to my lights looks, tastes, and brews more like a yellow. Maybe it made such a good impression on me because of this sort of gender confusion. It's definitely not a black anyway.

Oct 29th, '08, 22:57

by Cinnamon Kitty » Oct 29th, '08, 22:57

TeaCompulsion wrote:...don't care for the ones that hit you over the head with a YOU-ARE-DRINKING-TEA-by-four.
That is fantastic! I definitely would prefer ones that do not beat me with a "tea-by-four." I like flavorful, but not overpowering. The Malaysian Highlands sounds good for a very inexpensive price.

Geeber1: Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the other Nilgiri and the Dooars. The descriptions of the Dooars sounded similar to a Kenyan black tea that I enjoyed that was similar to a Ceylon with a bit of Assam.

Oct 30th, '08, 09:34

by hop_goblin » Oct 30th, '08, 09:34

I dig their white bud earl grey.. Great stuff

Oct 30th, '08, 22:44

by Cinnamon Kitty » Oct 30th, '08, 22:44

Victoria wrote:Ok, now i'm really confused but in addition to the Handmade I also recommend
the Glenburn Wiry Vintage.
Is the Glenburn Wiry a greener Darjeeling?

Oct 30th, '08, 23:05

by Victoria » Oct 30th, '08, 23:05

No. It's just delish!!

I'd send you some but I sent my last to Vulture, hope he likes it!!
I just reordered, but I'm telling you it's great!!! It will be very different than the blacks he is used to.

Or, you can wait for a second opinion, I think I sent some to Geeber too.
This is the one I was saying that made me change my mind about preferring broader, looser leaf Darjeeling. This is black and tightly rolled - perhaps why they call it Wiry.

Oct 30th, '08, 23:54

by Cinnamon Kitty » Oct 30th, '08, 23:54

I think I will wait on the Darjeeling for now. I was having too much fun reading all the descriptions of the different ones on the site and kept wanting to put more than a few of them in my cart. I think I will just go with a couple less expensive blacks for this order and then do an order of just Darjeelings later on once I've done a bit more reading up on them. I keep getting this slight inkling of suspicion that once I try one good Darjeeling, I am going to want to get more. Thanks for the help! The Glenburn Wiry is definitely on my list of teas to try.

Hop: Good suggestion. I've been craving Earl Grey lately. They didn't have a white bud Earl Grey, but they did have white tip, which I am guessing is what you meant.

Nov 2nd, '08, 19:50

Glenburn Wiry question

by treazure » Nov 2nd, '08, 19:50

Yoicks, I looked at the price and almost fainted. Does it take as much as my so loved Irish Breakfast blend or can I get away with a tiny bit?

We go through a pound of Irish Breakfast a month and knowing how I am, if I really like this stuff we'd need to get a second mortgage on the house to buy enough for a month.
Jeanne - I never met a tea pot I didn't like.

Nov 2nd, '08, 19:57

by geeber1 » Nov 2nd, '08, 19:57

Treazure, you guys drink LOTS of tea. :lol:

TeaSource's is less expensive than Adagio's is. I figure I use less of the "good" stuff so it costs less in the long run.

Do you get more than one infusion from your leaves? I can get two good steeps from Adagio's IB. (Haven't tried TeaSource's blend)

Nov 2nd, '08, 20:10

by caligatia » Nov 2nd, '08, 20:10

geeber1 wrote:I can get two good steeps from Adagio's IB.
I'll have to try that now that I'm brewing for 3min instead of 5. I love Adagio's IB too, although I only drink 4oz a month. (Then again, DH isn't big on that one.)

I don't mind paying a bit more for a special tea, but because I'm on disability I'm a bit limited in how often and how much I can order. Still, I have enough standard-level teas stocked up that I can treat myself to a few 2oz purchases from TeaSource this month. Yay! I wanna try the handmade Nilgiri and the Margaret's Hope!

Edit: Has anyone tried any from TeaSource's black "Exotic Teas" section? I'm very curious about Kenyan orthodox teas, and I'd like to try some from other countries as well. Most of these are very affordable and I was thinking about ordering a few.

Also: treazure, cool icon! But where are my cookies?

+ Post Reply