Measuring Tea Volume or weight

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Nov 1st, '08, 01:28

Measuring Tea Volume or weight

by MR.T » Nov 1st, '08, 01:28

Hello everyone i'am very confused when measuring tea. I normally order loose teas and cannot really figure out how to measure them.

Eg.

1. If I buy 1/2 pound of loose black tea is that 8 oz?

what is the proper way to measure bulk tea i often buy in bulk. is it in pounds or volume?

I have been measuring 1 cup in my measuring spoon is that the same as 1/2 pound or 8 oz.

Where can i get a good measuring device to measure larger qty of tea from 1/4 pound, 1/2, 1 pound and up.

Nov 1st, '08, 01:41

by Vulture » Nov 1st, '08, 01:41

Mr. T

The way most people measure tea is by Grams. For smaller amounts people have even used .1 gram scales (I just got one in myself recently). Metrics are a worldwide measuring scale more than the old English pound. It is a lot easier to scale up though I don't think you would use Kg's of tea.

Volume is a horrible way to purchase tea because you don't know how tightly packed the tea will be in that volume. It is best to purchase in the weight of teas as you can compare the price per gram, oz or pound.

Nov 1st, '08, 02:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Nov 1st, '08, 02:03

There's a ton of food scales out there for large weights. I have the My Weigh 3001P which will weight over six pounds of tea, spaghetti, food, or mail. I use mine mostly to find the exact capacity of teacups, pots etc.

I use smaller scales to weight individual servings of tea. I guess my big one could also do it, but it probably isn't too accurate at small weights and only shows the nearest gram, rather than tenth or hundredth of a gram.

Nov 1st, '08, 03:15

by MR.T » Nov 1st, '08, 03:15

Thank you guys i just ordered the 3001P so i should get it next week I often get extra tea and sell back to co-workers if they ask so i needed something to keep the measurement correct. Right now i was using a Measuring Cup to determine the weight. was this ever a good idea?

peace

Nov 1st, '08, 05:01

by Victoria » Nov 1st, '08, 05:01

No, not a good idea. If you took your bulk tea and measured it that way when it came in, then divided it back out, but still it's not very precise.

Nov 1st, '08, 06:30

by Vulture » Nov 1st, '08, 06:30

Victoria wrote:No, not a good idea. If you took your bulk tea and measured it that way when it came in, then divided it back out, but still it's not very precise.
Didn't I just say Volume was a bad way to go by? :roll:

There could be a cup of smaller leaves or more tightly packed leaves in that same Cup that you use. Though in smaller amounts it doesn't make too much a difference. That is why I usually use a table spoon for my teas at the moment. But in larger quantities, the amount has the chance to change a lot more.

Think of in % error. if your 5% off each time, that is not bad with a tablespoon of tea. But that would make you loose 1 gram of tea in a 20 gram bag.

(FYI I can get really scientific/mathmatical about tea sometimes :oops: )

Nov 1st, '08, 08:46

by Chip » Nov 1st, '08, 08:46

Samples are sometimes sold by volume, whatever fits in a sample tin or envelope. But by law in the USA, tea is sold by weight. So, it is not unheard of to buy very small amounts by volume.

Since you already have a scale, it is rather moot anyway, weigh it out.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Nov 1st, '08, 11:08

by chad » Nov 1st, '08, 11:08

Generally, anything food related will be measured by weight -- liquids excepted, most of the time! :D

Usually, around here, 5g will mean a weighed 5g and 160ml will mean a measured 160ml. A "teaspoon" will be a measured teaspoon - but then that begs the question of "heaping" or "level". :D

Volume and weight exchange/comparisons are tough due to air, humidity, size of the leaf, etc. Baking is probably the best example of getting it right by weight.

After a while you will get to where you can guestimate pretty closely but it never hurts to alway weigh.

Nov 1st, '08, 12:24

by Victoria » Nov 1st, '08, 12:24

Definitely a Moo point.
:lol:

Nov 1st, '08, 12:34

by silverneedles » Nov 1st, '08, 12:34

:D
its moo

+ Post Reply