Black Tea Online Retailers, which one?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Dec 31st, '08, 15:09

by Tea Noob » Dec 31st, '08, 15:09

2oz packages really aren"t too much tea. Don't let that phase you too much. They are slightly bigger than normal samples, but small enough that it is not overwhelming, especially with the black teas.

I will second (or third or fourth) both Glendale Nilgiris from TeaSource, as well as their Earl Grey White Tip if you like Earl Greys.
It is the size and cost that I am trying to limit so I can spread my resources around. I know I won't get the best bang for the buck by buying a bunch of samples but I will be able to try quite a few more from several sources. I am not saying I will be able to stick to this plan but I am trying to. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't get smaller quantities but I wouldn't be able to try 3 new teas a day for weeks on end which is what I do now. :D

Jan 1st, '09, 12:37

by Tea Noob » Jan 1st, '09, 12:37

Due to my compulsive nature I placed an order with TeaSource. I got a tea from many of the regions that they offer to get an idea of the different flavors within this realm. After all the arm twisting over the handmade nilgiri I ordered some of that as well as a yunnan, an assam, a Keenum and maybe a darjeeling.

Before placing that order I placed one with TeaCuppa which I saw being recommended for mid-level oolongs by someone who I think responded to me on here somewhere. I am very intrigued with oolongs and they offer sample sizes. There shipping probably takes a while so I will have tried the goods from TeaSource by the time this arrives.

Thank you all for your help, I anxiously await my teas arrival. Until then I will just have to continue sampling my endless supply of Adagio. Not a bad situation to be in.

(enjoying Yunnan Noir right now)

Jan 1st, '09, 12:45

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jan 1st, '09, 12:45

For the Nilgiri, the leaves are very fluffy and might require more than you think you need to use if you don't use a scale. I've had good luck brewing it with boiling water for about 2 minutes, 30 seconds and found that it resteeps incredibly well for a black tea by adding about a minute to each consecutive steep.

Jan 1st, '09, 13:38

by Tea Noob » Jan 1st, '09, 13:38

Cinnamon Kitty wrote:For the Nilgiri, the leaves are very fluffy and might require more than you think you need to use if you don't use a scale. I've had good luck brewing it with boiling water for about 2 minutes, 30 seconds and found that it resteeps incredibly well for a black tea by adding about a minute to each consecutive steep.
It was your post in the intro section that I was referring to about all the online retailer recommendations. Thank you very much miss Cinnamon Kitty. Wouldn't want to forget to give credit when it is due. An excellent list of options for people like me that are new to the game. I will refer back to the nilgiri post before I whip some up to make sure I have all bases covered.

I am about to head out and hopefully hit up the Chinese Culture Center here in Phoenix (I know, not an Asian Hub) to see if they have some tea paraphernalia. Maybe I will come back looking like I know what I am doing.

Kitty, did you respond to my question about tea:water amounts? You seem to be doing the longer steeps like I am familiar with. how much tea are you using? I have experienced some ultra-fluffy white tea. About 4 leaves fit in a teaspoon, not a very reliable method with some fluffy ones so I will keep that in mind.

Jan 2nd, '09, 20:47
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Jan 2nd, '09, 20:47

I'd take a good look at Silver Tips Tea company. They specialize in Darjeeling estate, but have a wonderful variety of black teas -with especially flavorful Nilgiri, as well as black tea blends, and many green, white and red teas that are quite palatable too. They have featured monthly sales on 3-4 teas and have very reasonable shipping costs.

Can't say the same for Upton teas. I paid a pretty penny for an Assam estate tea that turned that was, without question, near the end of its storage life (essentially lacking good flavor). The company was not exactly gracious or helpful when I called to complain. I also bought a much touted Java black tea, an inexpensive tea that was horrid - couldn't stand the flavor. I did purchase another Assam and Keemun that were OK, but not nearly of the quality of Silver Tips teas. I won't be purchasing from them again, after two large purchases of questionable quality teas (all black).

IF you purchase tea from the latter, buy it in small quantities. Silver Tips teas I purchase by the pound and have rarely been anything less than deeply satisfied. The owner frequently answers the phone and is exceptionally helpful in tea selection. She will also supply samples of teas/blends she thinks you might enjoy with each order.

While not exactly a tea fanciers first choice, CoffeeAM carries bulk teas that are quite good and can be bought at 'wholesale' prices in 1-2 pound quantities that are at least as good as the average quality tea of the popular tea retailers, but a fraction of the price. They are all on sale at present. So, you can purchase a quality Assam or Ceylon, 2 pounds for less than twenty bucks. That should be enough to last at least 4 months or more. They have more exotic and expensive teas (up to $60/lb), but I find their Orange Oolong quite tasty and exceptionally affordable, as well as decent examples of Gunpowder and Dragonwell teas. Their shipping costs are also exceptionally reasonable, even last Spring-Summer, when UPS was charging an arm and a leg for smaller packages.

When one is seriously pinching pennies as many are at present, it's not too much of a stretch to look at what I call 'off-brand' tea suppliers for exceptionally potable teas that one might drink daily or thrice weekly, to buy in affordable larger quantities (1 pound or more).

Why do I make this recommendation, beyond cost? Because of the boom in quality teas offered in the US, at a time when tea prices have finally dropped (from highs in the late 90s thru 2004), when quality of the average estate and most blends is FAR superior to that offered just a decade ago, and when price competition between tea growing regions has soared in response to demand overseas.

For this reason, I also suggest you look at Davidson's Teas. They are located in Nevada and specialize in organic estates and blends. They carry 'chi-chi' flavored blends to cater to the unsophisticated palate of the commoner, but also have reasonably priced, good quality teas in bulk available through Amazon (this is how they keep stock turning over when demand lags supply at various times of the year, to the savvy tea drinkers benefit). They ship under "SuperSavor" status, so that you can pick up 4-5 pounds of tea sans shipping cost.

Never has there been so many fine and affordable teas. Thank god for one of life's wee pleasures!

Jan 3rd, '09, 22:49

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jan 3rd, '09, 22:49

Tea Noob wrote:Kitty, did you respond to my question about tea:water amounts? You seem to be doing the longer steeps like I am familiar with. how much tea are you using? I have experienced some ultra-fluffy white tea. About 4 leaves fit in a teaspoon, not a very reliable method with some fluffy ones so I will keep that in mind.
I don't use a scale and I generally use a teaspoon measuring scoop for most of my teas. Unfortunately, that doesn't make for good instructions when the tea leaves don't fit in the teaspoon scoop. I had the best luck brewing it in my 10oz glazed kyusu, using enough leaves to cover the bottom of the pot plus a little bit more. In my measuring sense, it was about three pinches worth of leaves. I guess it more of a western style technique, but shorter steeps with more leaves in a smaller pot would probably work too. I ran out of that tea before I tried it in my gaiwan though.

Jan 5th, '09, 21:02

by Tea Noob » Jan 5th, '09, 21:02

Intuit wrote:I'd take a good look at Silver Tips Tea company. They specialize in Darjeeling estate, but have a wonderful variety of black teas -with especially flavorful Nilgiri, as well as black tea blends, and many green, white and red teas that are quite palatable too. They have featured monthly sales on 3-4 teas and have very reasonable shipping costs.

Can't say the same for Upton teas. I paid a pretty penny for an Assam estate tea that turned that was, without question, near the end of its storage life (essentially lacking good flavor). The company was not exactly gracious or helpful when I called to complain. I also bought a much touted Java black tea, an inexpensive tea that was horrid - couldn't stand the flavor. I did purchase another Assam and Keemun that were OK, but not nearly of the quality of Silver Tips teas. I won't be purchasing from them again, after two large purchases of questionable quality teas (all black).

IF you purchase tea from the latter, buy it in small quantities. Silver Tips teas I purchase by the pound and have rarely been anything less than deeply satisfied. The owner frequently answers the phone and is exceptionally helpful in tea selection. She will also supply samples of teas/blends she thinks you might enjoy with each order.

While not exactly a tea fanciers first choice, CoffeeAM carries bulk teas that are quite good and can be bought at 'wholesale' prices in 1-2 pound quantities that are at least as good as the average quality tea of the popular tea retailers, but a fraction of the price. They are all on sale at present. So, you can purchase a quality Assam or Ceylon, 2 pounds for less than twenty bucks. That should be enough to last at least 4 months or more. They have more exotic and expensive teas (up to $60/lb), but I find their Orange Oolong quite tasty and exceptionally affordable, as well as decent examples of Gunpowder and Dragonwell teas. Their shipping costs are also exceptionally reasonable, even last Spring-Summer, when UPS was charging an arm and a leg for smaller packages.

When one is seriously pinching pennies as many are at present, it's not too much of a stretch to look at what I call 'off-brand' tea suppliers for exceptionally potable teas that one might drink daily or thrice weekly, to buy in affordable larger quantities (1 pound or more).

Why do I make this recommendation, beyond cost? Because of the boom in quality teas offered in the US, at a time when tea prices have finally dropped (from highs in the late 90s thru 2004), when quality of the average estate and most blends is FAR superior to that offered just a decade ago, and when price competition between tea growing regions has soared in response to demand overseas.

For this reason, I also suggest you look at Davidson's Teas. They are located in Nevada and specialize in organic estates and blends. They carry 'chi-chi' flavored blends to cater to the unsophisticated palate of the commoner, but also have reasonably priced, good quality teas in bulk available through Amazon (this is how they keep stock turning over when demand lags supply at various times of the year, to the savvy tea drinkers benefit). They ship under "SuperSavor" status, so that you can pick up 4-5 pounds of tea sans shipping cost.

Never has there been so many fine and affordable teas. Thank god for one of life's wee pleasures!
Thanks for all the info. I placed an order with TeaSource already and will wait till that arrives before placing another. Upton seems to be getting mixed reviews so I will hold off on them with so many other vendors to choose from. I am still in the noob phase and I think buying by the pound is a bit intimidating. I am fairly certain that I will try and keep a range of teas rather then just one favorite.

Jan 7th, '09, 20:30

by Tea Noob » Jan 7th, '09, 20:30

I received my order from TeaSource today and immediately opened it up and am currently trying the Golden Tip Yunnan that I was anxiously waiting for. I am quite pleased so far. Of the many black tea samples I have tried from adagio (10+) Yunnan Jig was my favorite and I was trying to get something similar with this tea. I definitely enjoy it. My first impression is that it is naturally sweet smelling, a brown-sugar like essence. Looks almost like a red ale. I also picked up a Keemun, an Assam, a Darjeeling, and a Nilgiri. I can't wait to try the rest, it may be a long evening.

The shipping from Minnesota to Arizona was a total of 2 days and very affordable. Excellent e-mail communication too. Thank you all for your recommendations. Once I try all of these I may come back to get some more of that priceless advice.

+ Post Reply