Making Tea Addicts

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jan 6th, '09, 18:22

Making Tea Addicts

by treazure » Jan 6th, '09, 18:22

I've been doing 15 hour days in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit for the past month plus, (long story, grandson had a car accident, in coma, extremely critical but starting to hold his own). Since I cannot go more than 8 hours with a tea fix, I have a large assortment of my favorite black tea bags with me.

There is a Starbucks in the hospital and they have been incredible, giving me huge cups of boiling hot water, sugar, half and half and even the occasional squirt of flavoring. I was carrying a monster cup of Bigelow's Constant Comment (awesome tea in loose and bagged forms) back to the unit and a doctor was in the elevator with me. He asked what I was drinking and did I get it at Starbucks, so I ended up giving him several of my tea bags.

Finally got back to the SICU and the scent grabbed several other visitors. I passed out tea bags and three of them trooped down to Starbucks for water and we sat around waiting for when we could go see our loved ones.

Here's something most of us long term tea addicts will agree with: The people who had a cup of tea were generally soothed and felt more able to cope with their family emergencies. Could there be a chemical in tea (black and green) which reduces stress and raises endorphin levels in the blood? Researchers have shown that ingestion of tea helps reduce cholesterol in the blood, so why not endorphins in the brain?

I even had one man ask me what perfume I was wearing and got him hooked on Constant Comment as well. The vanilla, vanilla and almond and vanilla caramel black teas (also from Bigelow- I buy case lots) seem to be good gateway drugs, er....tea...for reducing tension, especially in first time hot tea drinkers.

I wanted to leave a basket of sealed tea bags in the SICU waiting room but the volunteer wouldn't let me, so several of us have started passing out tea bags like a druggie handing out dope.

Gotta run, time to go back to SICU.
Jeanne - I never met a tea pot I didn't like.

Jan 6th, '09, 19:59

by Yaanon » Jan 6th, '09, 19:59

Wonderful story, thank you for sharing it with us. I agree that is it quite fun to share tea with others, but I seem to have a habit of sharing tea that I know people won't like (Lapsang Souchong, Genmaicha, etc.) just to laugh at them. :lol:

Jan 6th, '09, 21:21

by kymidwife » Jan 6th, '09, 21:21

I've been resisting Constant Comment... now you are tempting me to try it after all.

Like I need more tea. :shock:

Thanks for a great story!

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jan 6th, '09, 21:39

by tenuki » Jan 6th, '09, 21:39

treazure wrote:Here's something most of us long term tea addicts will agree with: The people who had a cup of tea were generally soothed and felt more able to cope with their family emergencies. Could there be a chemical in tea (black and green) which reduces stress and raises endorphin levels in the blood? Researchers have shown that ingestion of tea helps reduce cholesterol in the blood, so why not endorphins in the brain?
Tea is the only plant that makes theanine, and the predominate form found in tea is L-theanine. L-theanine is well known to promote relaxed, alert brain activity. [1][2][3]

Jan 6th, '09, 21:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jan 6th, '09, 21:59

Sorry to hear about your grandson.
Glad things are improving.
Nice that you are sharing the TeaLove.
:)

Jan 6th, '09, 22:36

by geeber1 » Jan 6th, '09, 22:36

Treazure,
Hope your grandson continues to improve. You and he will be in my prayers!
Sounds like you're becoming a "Tea Angel." It's nice that you are able to help so many people just by giving them tea.

Jan 6th, '09, 22:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jan 6th, '09, 22:47

tenuki wrote: Tea is the only plant that makes theanine ...
Great references, Tenuki. Thanks. I may have to shruggingly agree that there are some health benefits to tea after all.

Jan 6th, '09, 22:54

by Riene » Jan 6th, '09, 22:54

Teazure, I'm sorry about your grandson...hope things are improving, and soon.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jan 6th, '09, 23:20

by treazure » Jan 6th, '09, 23:20

Oh NO! Tea cannot be healthy. It is bad enough that it's gotten trendy, pricing it out of the market. It used to be cheap to be a vegetarian too, but now it is trendy and more expensive. I remember when I could get a cup of coffee with refills for ten cents and the only fancy additives was cream and sugar.

Seriousy though, I'm glad to have the info on what tea does. Thank you! No wonder the nannies of the world used to give "nursery tea" to the kidlings before bed. (Mostly hot, sweet milk with a few tablespoons of brewed black tea.)

One of my fellow addicts was there tonight and went "Pssst. Got any of the good stuff?" Oh boy, the looks we got. So I pulled a wrapped tea bag from my pocket and slipped it to her. There were some new folks there tonight but we'll get them hooked if they are there long enough.

In my cup, Irish Breakfast Blend with a little bit of Irish Whiskey. It kind of goes together. Nighty night.
Jeanne - I never met a tea pot I didn't like.

Jan 7th, '09, 13:42

by Scarlet Glow » Jan 7th, '09, 13:42

Ah, my grandma just gave me a couple of tea bags of Constant Comment to try. She said her mother (who is no longer with us) used to drink it all the time.

I put it on my list of teas to try... but after reading this, I think I'm going to bump it to the top. :wink:

Great story!

+ Post Reply