Need brewing advice for Adagio's Darjeeing #22

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jan 28th, '09, 09:50

Need brewing advice for Adagio's Darjeeing #22

by tjkoko_off » Jan 28th, '09, 09:50

Anyone?

TIA!
TJK

Jan 28th, '09, 10:44

by Vulture » Jan 28th, '09, 10:44

Just Don't! :lol:

Sorry, the number 22 from adagio is just OK. There are a lot better Darjeelings available. I use my 22 for blends or iced teas

If you still want to brew it, what is your brewing utensil and its size (oz).

Jan 28th, '09, 11:43

by tjkoko_off » Jan 28th, '09, 11:43

I plan to use standard English teapot to brew 8 fl oz.

Let me state that when I lived on the west coast, I wouldn't even think of purchasing DJ's from anything other than Asian Indian markets. There, I could get a half pound box for less than $10 and it tasted great as a breakfast (non gourmand) tea.

And so whose DJ would you recommend as a breakfast tea?

While the DJ's I've gotten from Peets have been nothing short of disappointing, the teas offered at Indian markets here in Georgia have been disappointing as well. Taking a gamble, I ordered the DJ from Adagio to not only support the site but also I liked their 5 oz white brewing vessels pictured here:

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/tasting_s ... 15bd326829

Feb 6th, '09, 17:49

by shardy53 » Feb 6th, '09, 17:49

I like the Adagio darjeeling #22 and the #1. I use a teaspoon per 8 oz cup in an English style two cup teapot, and infuse it in 200 degree water for 3 1/2 to 4 mins. the same for #1 and #2. I made the mistake of infusing it for a full 5 mins. before and I usually got a bitter cup of tea. You don't really have to heap the #22 or the #1 on the teaspoon either because it is not a real puffy leaf like the #2.

Steve

Mar 6th, '09, 08:36

by tjkoko_off » Mar 6th, '09, 08:36

After much experimentation, I use, per 8 fl oz, 2-3 Tbs of tea to which boiling water is added. The brew is then allowed to steep for 10-12 seconds before pouring into the drinking cup.

Thanks to all for the great advice.
TJK

Mar 6th, '09, 09:09

by kymidwife » Mar 6th, '09, 09:09

I was initially disappointed in DJ 22 because I was comparing it to greener, brighter DJs I'd ordered from Tea Emporium (direct from India)... and also compared to some of the other DJ offerings from Adagio as well (Oooh Darjeeling, Spring Darjeeling, DJ 1 and DJ 2 are all really nice).

However, as time has gone on, I have developed a growing appreciation for DJ 22... just realizing that it suits me better when I'm craving black tea... and the others fall into an entirely different craving category, closer to oolong but unique in and of themselves. When I brew this one, I go for a heaping teaspoon plus another half teaspoon or so per 8-10 oz boiling water for about 90 seconds, and then I get a couple of re-steeps after that. The aroma and taste are very nice, if different than the greener varieties.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Mar 6th, '09, 12:20

by tjkoko_off » Mar 6th, '09, 12:20

KYM:

I'm going for the flavor of lemony pungency, as it were, as has been characteristic of previous DJ's I've tasted. But I'll try your method soon, to see how it 'delivers'. And I'll look into Tea Emporium, too.

EDIT: I assume that you mean: http://www.teaemporium.NET/

and not http://www.teaemporium.COM/

Mar 6th, '09, 14:07

by shardy53 » Mar 6th, '09, 14:07

I agree absolutely with kymidwife. The Darjeeling 22 is a great black tea. The others are milder and are more like oolongs or green teas. The 22 is bolder and has more of the qualities that a black tea should have. Like I stated before, I am very careful about water temperature and infusion times with this tea or it will become bitter very quickly. I always do two infusions, 3 mins. on the first and 4 mins. on the second.

Steve
Last edited by shardy53 on Mar 7th, '09, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 6th, '09, 22:54

by kymidwife » Mar 6th, '09, 22:54

tjkoko wrote:EDIT: I assume that you mean: http://www.teaemporium.NET/

and not http://www.teaemporium.COM/
Yes, correct... I got several very high quality Darjeelings from them... can't wait for Castleton Moonlight FF to return in availability! The Risheehat Flowery was really nice too. I didn't get a single bad tea in that order.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Mar 7th, '09, 08:53

by tjkoko_off » Mar 7th, '09, 08:53

shardy53 wrote:...The Darjeeling 22 is a great black tea. The others are milder and are more like oolongs or green teas. The 22 is bolder and has more of the qualities that a black tea should have. ...
Steve
Had I known of DJ#22's pronounced black tea qualitiies, I probably would have ordered a 'greener, more oolongy' DJ. My preference.
Last edited by tjkoko_off on Mar 7th, '09, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 7th, '09, 13:22

by shardy53 » Mar 7th, '09, 13:22

You would like the Adagio Darjeeling #1 first flush and Spring Darjeeling. They are much milder and "greener tasting".

Steve

Mar 8th, '09, 00:35

by kymidwife » Mar 8th, '09, 00:35

Also I suggest sampling the Nepal First Flush (from Adagio), which tastes very much like a greener Darjeeling... it's become a real favorite of mine.

Sarah

Mar 8th, '09, 13:42

by tjkoko_off » Mar 8th, '09, 13:42

Overall, I'm seeking a greener DJ for breakfast and will, indeed, try your suggestions once my supply of the DJ #22 has been exhausted.
TJK

Mar 8th, '09, 15:56

by pedantic » Mar 8th, '09, 15:56

tjkoko wrote:Overall, I'm seeking a greener DJ for breakfast and will, indeed, try your suggestions once my supply of the DJ #22 has been exhausted.
There are a few other choices beyond the first flush/spring flush varieties, if you are willing to go away from the 'black' tea type darjeelings. Adagio has a white darjeeling and an oolong type darjeeling. Both have muscatel flavors and lighter than DJ #22. I've seen green darjeelings in other places too.

Mar 8th, '09, 16:34

by tjkoko_off » Mar 8th, '09, 16:34

Pedantic wrote <<Adagio has a white darjeeling and an oolong type darjeeling.>>

So, Pedantic, which of Adagio's DJ's do you specifically recommend?

And although I'd like to keep my tea sources close to home, TeaEmporium sounds really good to me.

+ Post Reply