My first attempt at real tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Feb 18th, '09, 23:33

My first attempt at real tea

by tjausti » Feb 18th, '09, 23:33

I recieved my starter kit today and at this moment in time I could not be happier.... 3 hours earlier however.....

I ordered the ingenuitea / black starter kit. I opened everything up and read through the guide. I was surprised at the absence of detailed care instructions for it though im sure they are detailed here somewhere. I looked over the steeping instructions a few times.

Here is where I went wrong. although im new around here I have noticed that you guys are completely anal about measuring and metering everything. (no offense)

I read 1 tbsp leaves to 1 cup of hot water, armed with the knowledge above I breakout the irish breakfast tea, a measuring cup and a measuring spoon set..... let her steep for about 5 minutes.... yeah after the first sip I realized I was WRONG! I quickly winged a second cup using a table based tea spoon flat and enough water to fill the steeper/pot/(proper term?) which came out absolutely great.

I then brewed up some earl grey which was also excellent.

I am hooked and cannot wait for my next package to arrive with my rooibos and other herbals and greens.

I do have one question though. the earl grey seemed to make my mouth a little dry/cotton feeling for about 30 minutes. is that normal or did I miss something or mess something up