kombucha?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 24th, '10, 05:26

Re: kombucha?

by Marco » Jul 24th, '10, 05:26

I don't like iced tea but I really love kombucha.
Of the comercial brands I like Carpe Diem. But they are getting expensive if you drink a lot.
Thought about produceing my own but fear I could ruin it if my care of it isn't good enough. And even don't know where to get a kombucha culture.

Jul 24th, '10, 11:18

by Alucard » Jul 24th, '10, 11:18

I tried Carpe Diem in place of GT's and it is not even close to being the same. I actually thought Carpe tasted like watered down koolaid....but that is just me.

Jul 25th, '10, 00:05

by iannon » Jul 25th, '10, 00:05

Marco wrote:I don't like iced tea but I really love kombucha.
Of the comercial brands I like Carpe Diem. But they are getting expensive if you drink a lot.
Thought about produceing my own but fear I could ruin it if my care of it isn't good enough. And even don't know where to get a kombucha culture.
easy..and hard to kill.. I started mine from the dregs of a bottle of unflavored or "original" GT's then just fed it sugar and tea..its grown and grown and had babies and grown some more..had more babies..etc etc

Jul 26th, '10, 10:57

by TwoPynts » Jul 26th, '10, 10:57

iannon wrote:easy..and hard to kill.. I started mine from the dregs of a bottle of unflavored or "original" GT's then just fed it sugar and tea..its grown and grown and had babies and grown some more..had more babies..etc etc
My aren't we the proud parent? Congrats! :lol:

Jul 26th, '10, 19:26

by iannon » Jul 26th, '10, 19:26

TwoPynts wrote:
iannon wrote:easy..and hard to kill.. I started mine from the dregs of a bottle of unflavored or "original" GT's then just fed it sugar and tea..its grown and grown and had babies and grown some more..had more babies..etc etc
My aren't we the proud parent? Congrats! :lol:
more like a frightened dr Frankenstein..it creeps me out! :lol:

Aug 3rd, '10, 22:40

by xdunlapx » Aug 3rd, '10, 22:40

Yeah, kombucha sounds disgusting.I know I will never try it, let alone make it. Ewwww

Aug 3rd, '10, 22:58

by iannon » Aug 3rd, '10, 22:58

xdunlapx wrote:Yeah, kombucha sounds disgusting.I know I will never try it, let alone make it. Ewwww
Yeah...but my wife *says* its good for me......

Aug 4th, '10, 12:26

by TwoPynts » Aug 4th, '10, 12:26

iannon wrote:Yeah...but my wife *says* its good for me......
It is wise not to argue with your wife when she thinks she's doing something positive for your health. :wink:

Aug 4th, '10, 22:05

by iannon » Aug 4th, '10, 22:05

TwoPynts wrote:
iannon wrote:Yeah...but my wife *says* its good for me......
It is wise not to argue with your wife when she thinks she's doing something positive for your health. :wink:
exactly!!
actually..it aint so bad after you get the Mother Scoby taking over your house and devouring you image out of your nightmares
We brew it with green pekoe or something similar then when she wants to drink it she mixes it with juice of some sort.. lately guava or papaya i think..wasnt bad

Aug 4th, '10, 23:42

by mitchell » Aug 4th, '10, 23:42

Yes! I buy a bagged kombucha green tisane by Yogi. The flavour is vivid and strong.

I drank it without realizing what was involved in the fermentation process. I'm still not bothered. What about milk products like cheese or yogurt? What about alcohol or bread? Fermentation is all around us. 8)

Aug 5th, '10, 09:26

by TwoPynts » Aug 5th, '10, 09:26

Yep. Shus undergo fermentation too, so kombucha isn't unique in the tea world.

The bagged kombucha from Yogi teas isn't bad, but you're missing a lot of the health benefits that you get from the straight stuff. :wink:

+ Post Reply