Nepal Black Tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Mar 11th, '09, 12:23

by woozl » Mar 11th, '09, 12:23

I haven't tried this one but I was thinking about it.
It sounds yummy. http://www.harney.com/himalayan-orange.html
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

Mar 11th, '09, 13:07

by Bob M. » Mar 11th, '09, 13:07

If that's the Himalayan Majestic, Adam, I completely agree with you. I love the stuff but can't swallow the price and would love to find it elsewhere if I knew its real name!

Bob
ETA: The Harney's doesn't sound like it at all. I'll have to try some Upton samples, as I've got an order almost ready there. :)
Last edited by Bob M. on Mar 11th, '09, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 11th, '09, 13:35

by disillusioned » Mar 11th, '09, 13:35

Upton Teas has blacks from nepal that are very similar in taste and much cheaper priced and also whole food carries nepal blacks from hampstead teas which is much much cheaper but not as tasty.

Mar 11th, '09, 13:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Mar 11th, '09, 13:53

This one from TeaSource sounds great:

http://teasource.com/merchant2/merchant ... gory_Code=

Mar 12th, '09, 11:51

by shardy53 » Mar 12th, '09, 11:51

I have never had Nepal tea but the reviews compare it to Darjeeling.

A few of these don't seem overly expensive from Special Teas.
http://www.specialteas.com/Black-Tea/Nepal-Tea/

Mar 12th, '09, 12:40

by Beidao » Mar 12th, '09, 12:40

Isn't Special Teas' teas labeled and then sold at Teavana? Then it sounds wise to go to Special Teas! I have been drinking Golden Nepal from Upton and thought it to be okay but rather boring.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Mar 13th, '09, 00:56

by kymidwife » Mar 13th, '09, 00:56

I really love Adagio's Nepal First Flush... one of my favorite teas right now, and very Darjeeling-ish character.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Mar 13th, '09, 16:01
Scrolling: fixed

Tea flushes and history

by Intuit » Mar 13th, '09, 16:01

http://www.gshaly.com/teas/nepal.htm

Flushing Seasons & Characters of Nepal Tea:

* Spring/1st Flush: The cropping season begins from late February to mid-April following the first light showers after winter. These are springtime teas. The young leaves yield a light tea, which has a lighter golden color and a delicate aroma. A connoisseur’s delight.

* Summer Flush: The second flush is gathered during May and June. These tea are more fully constructed than the first flush varieties. The liquor is bright, the taste full and round with a fruity note.

* Monsoon Flush: The monsoon reaches the eastern part of Nepal by June end and continues till the end of September. The teas produced during this period contain a lot of moisture and are of standard quality. They have more color and are stronger. While the spring and Monsoon flush are afternoon teas, the monsoon flush is morning tea.

* Autumn Flush: October yields another batch of vintage teas known as 'the autumnal'. The Autumnal features an extraordinary combination of Muscat flavor, rich aroma and a lingering lemon to amber with the season. They can be drunk in the morning with a drop of milk.

GS Haley Co. offers Maloom Estate FTGFOP1 tea.

A brief history of Nepal’s Tea:

Some time around 1873, Colonel Gajraj Singh Thapa, son-in-law of the famous Rana Prime Minister, Jung Bahadur, was on a tour of Darjeeling. He was impressed by the sight of the young tea plants and the tasty drink he was offered everywhere he went. Having a fond travel memory was not enough, so upon his return he was determined to grow the beverage in his own. The colonel soon set up two plantations - the Ilam and Soktim tea estates, 103 acres each - and so began Nepal's tea industry.

The first production of Nepalese tea was Orthodox. And for more than 100 years, Nepal’s tea industry remained largely under government/ruling class domain.

Over the years, Nepal's tea industry has grown steadily. In 1920 there were only two estates occupying 233 acres producing a little over two tons. Today’s tea gardens are situated at an elevation ranging from 3000ft to nearly 7000ft above sea level producing some of the most exquisite teas in the world. However like all precious things, the tea available, is in small quantities.

The total area under the hill plantation is estimated at 2,153 hectares consisting of 300 hectares of public estates/gardens, 700 hectares under private estate/garden and 1,153 hectares under small holders. At present, the national production volume of the hill orthodox tea is estimated at about 2,44,000 kg per annum.

Nepal offers a diverse range of teas including seedling and clonal varieties. Greens and blacks are mostly manufactured in CTC style however, Orthodox styles, with a very few gardens producing organic and Fair Traded teas are becoming increasingly more prominent.

The high altitudes of the Himalayas and the close proximity of Darjeeling across the Indian border means Nepal teas have Darjeeling-like characteristics. Of unique distinction to Darjeelings, Nepali tea liquor can be darker and typically offers a more delicate and very lightly sweet flavor.

With reform in the early nineties, Nepalese tea is became grown by primarily by small holders unlike tea grown in some other countries. The benefit of small producers is artisan quality and care. However the challenges of lack industry infrastructure and dependence on exportation out of Calcutta have produced challenges that have limited the ability of Nepal teas to gain consistent access to international markets and to protect their unique identity. But that is changing …

To better improve the opportunities of these small tea farmers and others working in the Nepal tea industry, national and international organizations have immerged to support and provide broad-based foundations for long-term growth, economic self-reliance and on-going social-programs development. For example, Winrock International helped established the Himalayan Tea Producers Cooperative Limited (HIMCOOP) in 2003 to meet the needs of improving international market access, promoting self-sustainable agricultural practices and developing international trade networks, along with many other projects to increase the production of high-quality tea and effectively bring it to market.

Cooperative funds range in use from acquiring irrigation equipment to supporting labor issues like the empowerment of women (more than 60% of the workers employed in the Nepal tea industry are women) and banning child labor.

Bottom line: small farms, limited tea production = higher pricing, typical of Darjeelings, relative to other Indian subcontinent teas.
Last edited by Intuit on Mar 13th, '09, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 13th, '09, 16:14

by olivierco » Mar 13th, '09, 16:14

I have some gold himalaya from Mariage Frères.
It looks like this:

This Nepalese tea isn't Darjeeling like as you can see from the picture.

The 2009 harvest has just arrived and I will buy some during my next trip to Paris.

+ Post Reply