Taiwanese Sun-Moon Lake Black

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 3rd, '11, 00:22

Re: Taiwanese Sun-Moon Lake Black

by bagua7 » Oct 3rd, '11, 00:22

Ritva wrote:I received the Sun Moon Lake Black Tea from zen8tea this week. It was described as Assam, but Melody at zen8tea told me it was indeed Ruby or Red Jade tea. I got a nice tin box with label "Sun Moon Lake Black Tea" in it. You can understand my surprise when the tea turned out to be not black at all! It's a rolled oolong. I brewed it and it tasted like a semi-oxidised oolong with medium roasting. The used leaves are brownish green...
I want to further clarify this post even though is a bit old. This is a message I received from zen8tea today enquiring about this tea:

This is real Sun Moon Lake black tea. In Taiwan, there are 2 types of the Sun moon lake black tea. One is Assam black tea-shaped, the other is roll-shaped.

The fermented process of later type is like Oriental Beauty tea, the tea leaves are exposed to leafhopper insects that take a bite out of each leaf, triggering a partial oxidation of the leaf. After the leaf is more mature and processed, a uniquely fragrance of honey and roses. This is special roll-shaped, different from traditional black tea-shapped.

The tea leaves are from sun moon lake. However, how to make tea is depending on how master to produce it. I tasted this teas 4 years ago and I like it very much, I'm glad that I could find this batch again this year. Once current stock runs out, I don't know when I can get it again next time. If you prefer Assam-shaped, I will consider to sell it in the future. (I personally prefer this roll-shaped tea's taste.)

I have brewed zen8tea's product and certainly doesn't taste like an oolong to me at all and have nothing to complain about. A very fine Taiwanese red tea.

Dec 29th, '15, 17:08

by alix » Dec 29th, '15, 17:08

Which farmer have interesting black tea?

t8 t21 t18 o wild shan cha

Dec 30th, '15, 05:36

by Bok » Dec 30th, '15, 05:36

I just stumbled upon this re-excavated post. I just happen to come back from a short trip from Sun Moon Lake. Although the lake itself has become an abomination due to seemingly unrestricted construction of horrendous hotels and shopping mall, flooded with shouting mainland tourists, the tea from the area is certainly worth the high prices they demand!

I went to the Old Japanese Tea factory not far from the lake. Their organic No.18 (they call it Royal Ruby N.18) is excellent! The factory also makes for a nice little visit and they still porduce the tea there, even though I doubt that the few bushes one sees around the building is all they have, that doesn’t add up in terms of volume.

I have had their tea before, just was a bit hesitant to buy for the prices they demand as they are high even for Taiwan and I’ve had comparable teas for a fraction of the price…

Still, quite a unique flavour among Taiwanese red teas.

Jan 2nd, '16, 19:06

by alix » Jan 2nd, '16, 19:06

Bok wrote:I just stumbled upon this re-excavated post. I just happen to come back from a short trip from Sun Moon Lake. Although the lake itself has become an abomination due to seemingly unrestricted construction of horrendous hotels and shopping mall, flooded with shouting mainland tourists, the tea from the area is certainly worth the high prices they demand!

I went to the Old Japanese Tea factory not far from the lake. Their organic No.18 (they call it Royal Ruby N.18) is excellent! The factory also makes for a nice little visit and they still porduce the tea there, even though I doubt that the few bushes one sees around the building is all they have, that doesn’t add up in terms of volume.

I have had their tea before, just was a bit hesitant to buy for the prices they demand as they are high even for Taiwan and I’ve had comparable teas for a fraction of the price…

Still, quite a unique flavour among Taiwanese red teas.
they have Facebook or website?

Jan 5th, '16, 03:37

by Bok » Jan 5th, '16, 03:37

Jan 5th, '16, 10:20

by pedant » Jan 5th, '16, 10:20

http://www.assamfarm.com.tw/products.htm
are those prices in NT$? if so, that doesn't seem that bad to me

Jan 5th, '16, 18:32
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Jan 5th, '16, 18:32

Having some Sun-Moon lake black today! This is an assam #8, I also have a few other black tea's from that area of Nantou, a shan-cha, a Si Ji Chun finished as a black, and a qing xin finished as a black.

(sorry for the bad i-phone photo.)

Jan 5th, '16, 21:31

by Bok » Jan 5th, '16, 21:31

pedant wrote:
http://www.assamfarm.com.tw/products.htm
are those prices in NT$? if so, that doesn't seem that bad to me
Yes that is NT. But for black tea in Taiwan they are already quite pricey.
Not sure if they sell outside of Taiwan though.
Their whole setup is more commercially oriented, with nice packaging and shop, so this kind of tea would be a lot cheaper if bough in a traditional way (sold by at least a jing (600g). They probably do that as well but not for everyone.

+ Post Reply