Jun 20th, '09, 20:29

by shardy53 » Jun 20th, '09, 20:29

Yunnan Noir mixed with Golden Yunnan is a great coffee substitute.

Steve

Jun 21st, '09, 10:17

by Riene » Jun 21st, '09, 10:17

Ron Gilmour wrote:I'd recommend Adagio's Yunnan Noir. Other good choices would be Assam & Irish Breakfast blends.
I'll second this. A strong Yunnan Noir, Irish Breakfast, Keemun, or Assam would be a good place to start experimenting with tea.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jun 22nd, '09, 18:11

by jennytea » Jun 22nd, '09, 18:11

I think my favorite became the tea they called Garden of Eden its a black tea with jasmine flowers, its pretty nice.
Jasmine oolong would have been better but it may just be cuz I steeped for too long.

Oct 15th, '09, 23:56

Re: Any teas that would be a good substitute for coffee drinker

by jackdaniel » Oct 15th, '09, 23:56

I switched from coffee to tea about a year ago. I have found Black (Yunan Gold and Golden Money Chinese, Assam and Darjeeling Indian) tea to be a good substitute. I also really like Ti Guan Yin (oolong) and a good cooked/shu puerh as replacements.

Oct 21st, '09, 17:21

by Brinson » Oct 21st, '09, 17:21

It seems to me most coffee houses have chai tea lattes, I imagine this has to mean something.

Oct 21st, '09, 18:01

by AlexZorach » Oct 21st, '09, 18:01

Other people have already given good examples of strong black teas! So...to try to cover some different ground...

On the low-end of things, Celestial Seasonings makes one herbal tea that is marketed as a coffee substitute..."Roastaroma", with roasted chickory root and carob.

It really depends what aspect of the coffee you're going for. I've heard some people recommend hojicha as a coffee substitute because it also has the strong roasted aroma, but it's so much lighter and more mellow than coffee, and it also has very little caffeine.

I think roasted oolongs are also a good idea, although again, they're much more mellow than coffee.

How about trying to blend something? I wonder what would happen if you blended hojicha or a darker, roasted oolong with black tea? This way you could get the roasted aroma, but have it be much stronger overall.

+ Post Reply