Please help me choose the right tea

Let us know if you've found the perfect product for Adagio to sell.

Postby thedude » Jul 8th, '14, 02:13

I want a tea that has:

high caffeine
low catechin
high theanine

anyone know which tea has this propertys?

Cheers and thanks :)
thedude

Re: Please help me choose the right tea

Postby Poseidon » Jul 8th, '14, 12:34

I would venture to say green tea but I cant pinpoint what type exactly. Someone will come back and drop some knowledge.
Poseidon

Postby entropyembrace » Jul 8th, '14, 14:47

Too hard to predict, studies which have looked at the chemical composition of more than one tea have shown that the relative concentrations of those compounds can be altered by many different variables such as growing conditions, processing, freshness, varietal of tea (there's a lot of them) ect...

If you just want to self medicate with caffeine and theanine there's otc pills of both you can take...
entropyembrace

Postby miig » Jul 8th, '14, 14:50

Yes and if you just want to get a healthy beverage that will give you some energy, just get some organic green tea - for example a sencha.
Gyokuro is made to be brewed in a concentrated manner, that and Matcha will give you especially much caffeine (theine). But these may be a bit more expensive and special taste than a mass market Sencha.

Still, these have so much more to offer than just two substances. :mrgreen:
miig

Postby thedude » Jul 9th, '14, 08:47

entropyembrace wrote:Too hard to predict, studies which have looked at the chemical composition of more than one tea have shown that the relative concentrations of those compounds can be altered by many different variables such as growing conditions, processing, freshness, varietal of tea (there's a lot of them) ect...

If you just want to self medicate with caffeine and theanine there's otc pills of both you can take...

Hmm :( but do you know if there is a website that have listed all the content in teas i can read?

i have tried buying theanine in pill form, and it didnt have any effect, strange, maybe it doesnt work if it isnt combined with something else in the tea?
Last edited by thedude on Jul 9th, '14, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
thedude

Postby thedude » Jul 9th, '14, 08:49

miig wrote:Yes and if you just want to get a healthy beverage that will give you some energy, just get some organic green tea - for example a sencha.
Gyokuro is made to be brewed in a concentrated manner, that and Matcha will give you especially much caffeine (theine). But these may be a bit more expensive and special taste than a mass market Sencha.

sounds nice, do you have a link that i can read up on the content in these teas? i would like to choose one that has high caffeine and high theanine, and as low catechin as possible, that would be extremely great :shock:

the reason i want the tea to have as Little catechin as possible is because there is contradictory studies made on catechin that it is inhibiting the energy you get from caffeine, so i think its best to have as Little catechin in the tea as possible, because i only want the "calm energy" you get from theanine + caffeine :)

is it by the way generally more caffeine and theanine in black teas? and if so, should black tea grown in shade be of highest caffeine and theanine? i just read on the internet that the reason matcha and goukury has so high caffeine and theanine content and low catechin content is because the shading increaeses these stuff?

and if the theory that tea grown in the shade is better in this case, do you know wich tea has been grown in the shade for the longest time?
thedude

Postby Poseidon » Jul 9th, '14, 14:42

thedude wrote:
miig wrote:Yes and if you just want to get a healthy beverage that will give you some energy, just get some organic green tea - for example a sencha.

sounds nice, do you have a link that i can read up on the content in these teas? i would like to choose one that has high caffeine and high theanine, and as low catechin as possible, that would be extremely great :shock:

the reason i want the tea to have as Little catechin as possible is because there is contradictory studies made on catechin that it is inhibiting the energy you get from caffeine, so i think its best to have as Little catechin in the tea as possible, because i only want the "calm energy" you get from theanine + caffeine :)

is it by the way generally more caffeine and theanine in black teas? and if so, should black tea grown in shade be of highest caffeine and theanine? i just read on the internet that the reason matcha and goukury has so high caffeine and theanine content and low catechin content is because the shading increaeses these stuff?

and if the theory that tea grown in the shade is better in this case, do you know wich tea has been grown in the shade for the longest time?

If shading is what you want then stick to Japanese greens. kabusencha, gyokuro, matcha, sencha, etc. Gyokuro is probably what you want but prepare to fork out the cash "dude" if you want to drink it everyday. I would suggest getting sencha.
Poseidon

Postby entropyembrace » Jul 9th, '14, 21:57

Poseidon wrote:If shading is what you want then stick to Japanese greens. kabusencha, gyokuro, matcha, sencha, etc. Gyokuro is probably what you want but prepare to fork out the cash "dude" if you want to drink it everyday. I would suggest getting sencha.

Sencha isn't grown in the shade, and Japanese green teas typically have high catechin levels because steaming preserves them from breakdown.

thedude wrote:Hmm :( but do you know if there is a website that have listed all the content in teas i can read?

If you want to see chemical analysis of teas you need to search an academic database for food chemistry articles like this one: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf010153l which have done a comparison of several varieties of tea.

They didn't look for theanine and the tea with the most caffeine relative to total catechin content was PG Tips with other supermarket black tea blends that they tested being similar.

That article points out a problem though, there's not much research on the exact composition of individual teas being consumed around the world, and even what they tested was a small fraction of what's available in the UK.

There's also this one: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 4002000309 which found similar caffeine and theanine levels for all teas and the lowest catechin in "over-fermented black tea" which I'm not exactly sure what they mean...probably shu pu-erh? "Yunnan tou tea (T32) (Yunnan Province) Yunnan citsebeeng tea (T33) (Yunnan Province)" is what they were labeled as in the groupings list. But there were only 2 teas in that group and making a generalization based on that is a bad idea.

Maybe you see the problem now? Chemical analysis of complex food products like tea is difficult and expensive, so the chemical content of individual teas are not routinely analysed. Broad comparisons of many teas are restricted to only a few representatives for each class because of financial and time limitations, and they're often poorly labeled in the materials and methods sections making comparisons between studies even more difficult.

thedude wrote:the reason i want the tea to have as Little catechin as possible is because there is contradictory studies made on catechin that it is inhibiting the energy you get from caffeine, so i think its best to have as Little catechin in the tea as possible, because i only want the "calm energy" you get from theanine + caffeine :)

If you want "calm energy" maybe the thing to do is relax with your tea and take the time to enjoy and appreciate it. Make your tea time a moment of meditation. Most people need time to slow down and relax not more drugs, and tea, of any kind, is really good for this :)

My slightly snarky comment about the pills earlier was because it's much easier to know exactly what ratio of the chemicals you're getting is in that form, but maybe like you noticed when you took theanine tablets there is more to tea than the ratios of a couple of chemicals ;)
entropyembrace

Postby thedude » Jul 10th, '14, 04:51

entropyembrace wrote: Sencha isn't grown in the shade, and Japanese green teas typically have high catechin levels because steaming preserves them from breakdown.

OK. Do you know any shade-grown teas that doesnt use the steaming method? What do you think of goukury, tencha and matcha?

entropyembrace wrote:
If you want to see chemical analysis of teas you need to search an academic database for food chemistry articles like this one: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf010153l which have done a comparison of several varieties of tea.

They didn't look for theanine and the tea with the most caffeine relative to total catechin content was PG Tips with other supermarket black tea blends that they tested being similar.

That article points out a problem though, there's not much research on the exact composition of individual teas being consumed around the world, and even what they tested was a small fraction of what's available in the UK.

There's also this one: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0039914002000309 which found similar caffeine and theanine levels for all teas and the lowest catechin in "over-fermented black tea" which I'm not exactly sure what they mean...probably shu pu-erh? "Yunnan tou tea (T32) (Yunnan Province) Yunnan citsebeeng tea (T33) (Yunnan Province)" is what they were labeled as in the groupings list. But there were only 2 teas in that group and making a generalization based on that is a bad idea.

Maybe you see the problem now? Chemical analysis of complex food products like tea is difficult and expensive, so the chemical content of individual teas are not routinely analysed. Broad comparisons of many teas are restricted to only a few representatives for each class because of financial and time limitations, and they're often poorly labeled in the materials and methods sections making comparisons between studies even more difficult.

Yes i see the problem, i think the only thing to do is try to stick to the theory about shadegrown teas and also the steaming theory, and by that figure out the best tea with trial and error.

entropyembrace wrote: My slightly snarky comment about the pills earlier was because it's much easier to know exactly what ratio of the chemicals you're getting is in that form, but maybe like you noticed when you took theanine tablets there is more to tea than the ratios of a couple of chemicals ;)

Yes true, maybe i can try another brand if its too hard to find the right tea
thedude

Postby Pig Hog » Jul 10th, '14, 07:32

Either you're unknowingly spelling it wrong or your spellchecker is correcting 'gyokuro' to 'goukury', which is bizzare in itself, but either way I find it quite hilarious!

To the matter at hand, gyokuro, tencha and matcha are all steamed.
Pig Hog

Postby Poseidon » Jul 10th, '14, 07:41

entropyembrace wrote:
Poseidon wrote:If shading is what you want then stick to Japanese greens. kabusencha, gyokuro, matcha, sencha, etc. Gyokuro is probably what you want but prepare to fork out the cash "dude" if you want to drink it everyday. I would suggest getting sencha.

Sencha isn't grown in the shade, and Japanese green teas typically have high catechin levels because steaming preserves them from breakdown.

I know that but it seems like its probably his best option...
Poseidon

Postby thedude » Jul 10th, '14, 08:41

Pig Hog wrote:Either you're unknowingly spelling it wrong or your spellchecker is correcting 'gyokuro' to 'goukury', which is bizzare in itself, but either way I find it quite hilarious!

To the matter at hand, gyokuro, tencha and matcha are all steamed.

Haha, :) i dont have spellchecking and i didnt know i was Spelling it wrong.

OK, gyokuro, tencha, matcha seemed to have it all :( but the steaming stuff was a real dealbreaker. But if those arent any good, do you know any other teas that is grown as long as possible in the shade and is not steamed?
thedude

Postby thedude » Jul 10th, '14, 08:43

Poseidon wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:

I know that but it seems like its probably his best option...

But Sencha propbably aint got the high caffeine/theanine content that i want :( Do you know any other tea that is grown in the shade as long as possible and hasnt been steamed?
thedude

Postby Pig Hog » Jul 10th, '14, 10:12

With regards to Japanese tea, you won't find anything both non-steamed and grown in shade.

Your only other option, I guess, is kamairicha, which is grown in the sun but pan fired instead of steamed.
Pig Hog

Postby thedude » Jul 11th, '14, 18:01

Pig Hog wrote:With regards to Japanese tea, you won't find anything both non-steamed and grown in shade.

Your only other option, I guess, is kamairicha, which is grown in the sun but pan fired instead of steamed.

I see. but i guess tea grown in the wont have the good stuff that i am after :(
thedude

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions