Electric dispensing pots

Let us know if you've found the perfect product for Adagio to sell.

Postby TeaFanatic » Jan 30th, '06, 17:52

Great, thanks, that was the only thing left that really worried me about this product. When I gather the money, I will definetly buy one.

Thanks!!!
TeaFanatic

Postby mcgroarty » Jan 30th, '06, 21:56

Ha ha, before anyone else replies - I've got an LCD, and so magnets are fine here. Apple even ships a camera that mounts on this monitor with a magnet.

As for the computer itself - magnets were a worry in the days of floppy disks, but with a hard disk they're harmless even if you stick them up against the casing. You can feel free to stick magnetic poetry to your computer case or what have you. :)
mcgroarty

Postby peachaddict » Jan 30th, '06, 22:02

I know this is off the subject of tea, but do you know what affects magnets would have on a Sony Vaio? Just wanted to ask quickly.
peachaddict

Update on Zorijushi Electric Dispensing Pot

Postby Cynthia » Feb 19th, '06, 14:06

I thought I would write an update on my Zo.....

The interior is made of a slick, dense plastic and I just use a paper towel to wipe off the sediment (I use tap water) each time I fill it.

I haven't cleaned the other parts yet but it is as easy as adding some lemon juice to water and running it through.

I'm delighted with my purchase and would recommend it highly.

A Chinese friend told me that electric dispensing pots are standard equipment in a Chinese home and that Zo is the preferred brand.
Cynthia

Postby procarel » Feb 19th, '06, 17:05

I've got the 4 litre Zo dispenser and I really like it a lot. It's nice to have the water ready to go in the morning for that first cup of tea and is easy to change the water temp to suit various teas. When choosing the size you want to get consider the convenience of not having to refill during the day. It's not a big deal but I like the 4 instead of 2.2 litre size for that reason. If two or more are using the dispenser you'll end up having to refill at least once or twice a day with the smaller size.
procarel

Postby mijako10 » Feb 19th, '06, 17:33

I ordered the 3 liter from Zojirushi with the three temp settings (175, 195, 208) a couple days ago. I'm so excited about it!

I post again when it arrives (should be Tuesday.)
mijako10

Postby TeaFanatic » Feb 27th, '06, 03:04

Hey Mijako10, any news on the dispensing pot? i'm still waivering between the utilitea and the zorijurushi dispensing pot so any info would be great.
TeaFanatic

Postby lumen » Mar 1st, '06, 19:50

Interesting tidbit:
These are also common in Japan. In fact, I read something in the paper a while back about using a modified version of these to moniter the wellbeing of the elderly. The idea is that they'd be fitted with a computer chip, that transmits (don't remember the details of how) when the pot is used. So, if the elder in question doesn't use it for a while, their family is alerted and can check up on them to make sure they're okay.

There was also mention of a toilet that would sport a similar feature.

Of course, now I want one too! (The water heater, not the toilet!)

Maura in Japan[/i]
lumen

Postby Guest » Mar 1st, '06, 20:02

I have the utilitea, which is hit or miss, mostly miss. The temperature is variable at the same setting with different amounts of water.

I am buying a zojirushi. There may be use for both. If you can get only one then maybe the zojirushi would be best. Get the one that is best for you after reading lots of opinions.

Postby yresim » Mar 1st, '06, 20:11

lumen wrote:There was also mention of a toilet that would sport a similar feature.

The toilet is actually a really good idea as a method of monitoring the elderly. Because everyone uses them. Kinda icky at first glance, but when you think about it, it would probably just monitor whether or not they used the handle to flush it, so that wouldn't be terribly invasive (or gross).

The tea pot is cool, but I could see situations where someone might decide not to drink tea today. And false alarms create a "boy who cried wolf" situation.

~Yresim~
yresim

Postby yresim » Mar 1st, '06, 20:18

Anonymous wrote:I have the utilitea, which is hit or miss, mostly miss. The temperature is variable at the same setting with different amounts of water.

I'm assuming that's why the utiliTEA instructions state:
"fill the pot to the max line"

I've been following the instructions (always filling it to max), and I have not had any problems. The temperature is always perfect.

Although I could see how the utiliTEA might be a problem for someone with a water shortage or something (I'm not being sarcastic here).

~Yresim~
yresim

Postby rhpot1991 » Mar 1st, '06, 21:19

Anonymous wrote:I have the utilitea, which is hit or miss, mostly miss. The temperature is variable at the same setting with different amounts of water.

I am going to have to dispute this. When I first got my utiliTEA, I tested this out with an electronic meat thermometer because it was something I was worried about. I normally fill it to the fill line and boil, then later I will fire it back up to warm up the remaining water and use that before disposing of the excess in the bottom. The fill line is most likely only there so you don't fill it all the way up and have a boiling water volcano event going on.

-John
rhpot1991

Postby Guest » Mar 3rd, '06, 00:53

Does that mean you use 1-2 cups, then throw out and refill to max for next brew? Then that would insure same tempertures.

If so that is wasting water. Conservation begins with you and me before we get to water shortages. And I am not being sarcastic either. I have always have been conservation minded with our natural resources.

Postby TeaFanatic » Mar 3rd, '06, 01:49

No, it sounds like there is just a tiny bit leftover that he throws away (not enough to make even a small glass of tea).

I disagree though with boiling and then reheating water. In my opinion, this method lowers dissovled Oxygen content and thus makes the taste of the tea very flat. I like to heat only the water that I need right there on the spot.
TeaFanatic

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions