Incense!

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Feb 20th, '10, 18:20
Scrolling: scrolling

Incense!

by Proinsias » Feb 20th, '10, 18:20

I want some nice incense.

I think some people here might know where to get it.

Help!

Not to fussy about specifics, shipping to UK is a must.

Go Teachat!!

Feb 21st, '10, 15:03

Re: Incense!

by beckynoel » Feb 21st, '10, 15:03

My favorite incense company is Bombay Incense Co. They make NITIRAJ, (which has a collection of great scents) and NAG CHAMPA; they are two of my absolute favorite incense brands. They're both high-quality and hand-rolled. I know that Bombay Incense has an office in the U.K., so you should be able to get it shipped easily. Good luck!

Feb 24th, '10, 19:27

by chingwa » Feb 24th, '10, 19:27

Check out Tom's incense. They stock almost everything I've ever had a mind to try. Also for incense reviews, stop over at Olfactory Rescue Service. They tend toward the higher end incense for sure, but they have a lot of good info to delve into.

My current favorite is an aloeswood from Baiedo... kaiunkoh. It's rather excellent actually, and not too expensive. It has a dry, elegant scent which I tend to like. :wink:

Mar 5th, '10, 21:54

by Poohblah » Mar 5th, '10, 21:54

beckynoel wrote:My favorite incense company is Bombay Incense Co. They make NITIRAJ, (which has a collection of great scents) and NAG CHAMPA; they are two of my absolute favorite incense brands. They're both high-quality and hand-rolled. I know that Bombay Incense has an office in the U.K., so you should be able to get it shipped easily. Good luck!
+1 on Nag Champa. Best incense I've ever smelled.

Mar 6th, '10, 04:23

by Proinsias » Mar 6th, '10, 04:23

Completely forgot about this thread :oops:

Thanks guys!

Mar 6th, '10, 12:24

by Victoria » Mar 6th, '10, 12:24

I checked out a few of vendors I have used and they don't ship internationally. One did was charging $35. Geez.

You should be able to find some good Japanese Aloeswood - but Kyara being the ultimate in my opinion.

I was going to suggest checking out the Mariage Freres pricey stuff if there is a store near you. Interesting tea blends there but expensive enough without shipping to the USA. After reading about them, I'd really like to try!

Mar 20th, '10, 00:37

by EleanorJustice » Mar 20th, '10, 00:37

Proinsias wrote:I want some nice incense.

I think some people here might know where to get it.

Help!

Not to fussy about specifics, shipping to UK is a must.

Go Teachat!!
I *highly* highly recommend Fred Soll's incense, (https://www.fredsoll.com/basket/incensesticks.htm) which is actually high-quality resin on a stick. What this means is that the scents are strong/more pure, and that when you light them you need to be a little mindful of sparking, as you would if you were burning straight copal, frankincense or myrrh or another resin on charcoal.

You can get it directly from Fred Soll's, and I imagine that they must ship overseas, but I don't see anything discussing international shipping rates. Their stuff is *definitely* worth an email, or google search for another source. I know the shop where I get mine is happy to ship all kinds of places, and though they only have three on their website, they have a whole wall full of varieties, and if you see something on the Fred Soll's site that piques your interest, MV can sell & ship it to you. (Ask for Miss Lori - Lori@mystickalvoyage.com)
http://www.mystickalvoyage.com/store/in ... ?cPath=4_6

As far as which ones are good, well, the fifteen or so I've tried have all been spectacular, and the scent thing really is a personal preference and mood thing. One's I'd be sad without having on hand at all times include:

Nag Champa with Amber and Vanilla (this is luscious, earthy, sweet/spicy -- *heaven!*), the Dragon's Blood, the Copal, and the rose one I can't recall off hand. D'oh! It has a few dried rose petals in the package, and it's going to drive me crazy now. Hang on -- I'll go check. Okay, it's Joyous Rose. It's very sweet, and I'll have to say I'm not always in the mood for it, but when I am it's absolutely divine!

There's also a kind of wood that you burn chips of that smells incredible -- it's Palo Santo or Holy Wood, and you can put a chip of it on a charcoal disk, or light the stick itself and wave it around and let it go out naturally (which it will)
Here's a random source I haven't used (I get mine at local shops when they have it, which is sporatic) but that has a cute name: http://www.bouncingbearbotanicals.com/p ... -p-46.html

There's also natural sweetgrass, which if you like earthy/natural scents may be the most delicious olfactory experience you'll ever have.
I can vouch for Wandering Bull, and they do indeed have international shipping. http://store.wanderingbull.com/swbr.html

Anyhoo -- there's also the option of essential oils in a burner, but since all of these subjects could be the source of pages-long ramblings, I'll shush now, and wish you happy smelling!

Though if you do decide dip into essential oils, WildRoots.com is *wonderful*, and their oils are far superior to any others I've tried. I use their Cinnamon Leaf oil blended with orange as a perfume (*DO NOT try that at home* -- it burns the bejeebus out of most people!!) and a 16oz bottle of it has lasted me *five* years and most other kinds would have gone rancid ages ago -- theirs has not, and everything I've tried has been top notch.

Enjoy!

Mar 20th, '10, 04:44

by tenuki » Mar 20th, '10, 04:44

For most everything there is at good prices and great service:

http://www.incensewarehouse.com/

For everything else (link is to the body powders I like):

http://www.essenceoftheages.com/acces/zukoh.html

My recommend is to start with Japanese Incense, there is a refinement and clarity there you won't find anywhere else. Baieido and Shoyeido are a great place to start for japanese brands, I prefer Baieido.

Some of my favorites:
  • Rei-Ryoko - popular in zen meditation centers and for good reason.
  • Byakudan Kobunboku Sandalwood - another one that's great for meditation
  • Any of the high grade aloeswood - it's kinda pick your price tolerance for those, it's possible to pay eye dropping prices, but not nesessary. The Kaiunkoh Aloeswood from Baieido would be a good start on the aloeswood blends. My current _pure_ aloeswood stock was from essenceoftheages inexpensive and fantastic, looks like they dont' carry it anymore. (edit: pretty sure this is it, but different packageing) :(
Victoria got me started. :)

ps: pure aloeswood pairs amazingly well with puer.... ;)
Last edited by tenuki on Mar 20th, '10, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 20th, '10, 05:19

by tenuki » Mar 20th, '10, 05:19

On a side note - along with the body powders I also use amber - it's always been my favorite. The best source I've found is http://www.edenbotanicals.com/ I buy both the cedar and amber/dark amber essence in 4oz blocks at a time.

Apr 6th, '10, 11:21

by spittingoutteeth » Apr 6th, '10, 11:21

This is one of my personal favorites; incredibly cheap and smells great.

http://www.incensewarehouse.com/Mainich ... _p_50.html

May 9th, '10, 14:26

by rabbit » May 9th, '10, 14:26

Nippon Kodo has a few tea incenses

May 10th, '10, 22:15

by Proinsias » May 10th, '10, 22:15

Thank you very much everybody.

I've still not ordered any incense :oops: . My current stash is now gone. Surviving on essential oils and cigars.

On the plus side I've got more than enough info now to for a decent variety basket. Thanks.

All I have to do now is ensure that incense stays above Japanese greens and razors hones until payday.

Jun 1st, '10, 18:52

by anaram » Jun 1st, '10, 18:52

Can we burn tea? which tea leaves are okay?

+ Post Reply