Tea Party

For general/other topics related to tea.

Feb 26th, '06, 03:21

Tea Party

by yresim » Feb 26th, '06, 03:21

So, I am planning on having a tea party in May. It is more intended to be fun than traditional. My goals are to:
feed everyone
give them a good overview of different available teas

I tried to keep the temperature requirements at each course the same. I had trouble with the dessert teas, but I think I did fairly well on the other courses.

Here are my ideas for the party menu. What do you think? Can you make any suggestions where the question marks are?

Appetizer:
kappa maki (cucumber sushi)
soy sauce
miso soup
beverage: white display tea (brand?)

First course:
Spinach Salad with green tea vinaigrette
wheat crackers with artichoke & jalapeno spread
beverage: sencha, 2 other green teas?

Main course:
finger sandwiches: turkey & cheese, tomato & basil, watercress & goat cheese, cucumber, egg salad
beverage: earl grey, assam, 1 flavored tea?

Dessert:
orange scones
raspberry jello with cream
beverage: jasmine #12, chai, 1 sweet herbal?
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."
- Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Reptile Boy, Season 2)

Favorite teas: earl grey, assam, white

Feb 26th, '06, 08:30

by garden gal » Feb 26th, '06, 08:30

The jasmine flower diplay tea from adagio is great and is really a conversation piece as is the red bloom. I just personlly like the taste of the jasmine bloom better. The white peony and jasmine bloom would really compliment each other well I would think.
Your menu sounds very posh. Should go over good I should imagine- lucky people!

Feb 26th, '06, 08:45

by yresim » Feb 26th, '06, 08:45

I'm actually hoping for a white display tea.

I know Numi sells them, but I haven't tried them, so I was hoping someone that's tried a white display tea could post their thoughts on the matter.

I just figure, if I'm gonna go the display tea route, I may as well go all out. Plus, that means I don't have to share my good white teas with anyone. :twisted:
"I know! We could go to the Bronze, sneak in our own tea bags, and ask for hot water."

Feb 26th, '06, 15:04

by cess » Feb 26th, '06, 15:04

Sounds wonderful! What time should I be there?

:) 'Cess
Tea pot is on, the cups are waiting,
Favorite chairs anticipating,
No matter what I have to do,
My friend there's always time for you.

Anonymous

Feb 26th, '06, 18:07

by yresim » Feb 26th, '06, 18:07

cess wrote:Sounds wonderful! What time should I be there?
I dunno... I think it would be quite a drive from MO to CA for a tea party.

It would probably be cheaper and less time-consuming to put on your own party with the same menu. :wink:

Seriously, though, thank you for the compliment. I appreciate knowing that not everyone thinks my menu is completely crazy.

~Yresim~

Feb 26th, '06, 22:41

by cess » Feb 26th, '06, 22:41

I suppose your right. Just sounded yummy and fun. :) As for suggestions, I think the dessert you planned would go well with the Blood orange herbal - it is sweet and makes a beautiful color.

Hope you have a great time!

Enjoy,

'Cess
Tea pot is on, the cups are waiting,
Favorite chairs anticipating,
No matter what I have to do,
My friend there's always time for you.

Anonymous

Feb 26th, '06, 23:01

by TeaFanatic » Feb 26th, '06, 23:01

With the first course you have sencha and two other greens. For the two other greens, I would suggest perhaps a gyokuro or a kukicha, sticking with the Japanese vegetal taste, since you have spinach as the food item. Make sure you get the sencha premier as it is a much better tea than the sencha overture.

It sounds like a delicious tea menu. I hope it goes well!
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Feb 26th, '06, 23:55

by teaspoon » Feb 26th, '06, 23:55

Oooh sounds yummy. One question, though, how strong is the jalapeno spread in the second course? Because You wouldn't want to overpower the tea or any other flavors with the heat of the jalapenos...

Oh and I think Numi has a white display tea.

~tsp
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Feb 27th, '06, 00:59

by yresim » Feb 27th, '06, 00:59

teaspoon wrote:Oooh sounds yummy. One question, though, how strong is the jalapeno spread in the second course? Because You wouldn't want to overpower the tea or any other flavors with the heat of the jalapenos...
The spread itself is pretty powerful. But, when placed between two wheat crackers, the combination is fairly mild. There is still a definite heat to it, but it is subdued.

I just figured jalapeno would be a good palate cleanser. Do you think the heat will overpower future tastes rather than cleanse previous ones?
teaspoon wrote:Oh and I think Numi has a white display tea.
I just got a sample of their display teas today. It was $14 for all 9 (one of each) at Whole Foods. After reading the directions, I am a little concerned: apparently, even the white display teas require water at 212 degrees to open up. I'm just not sure what that will do to the white tea itself.

~Yresim~

Feb 27th, '06, 05:52

White Display Teas

by yresim » Feb 27th, '06, 05:52

Well, I sampled the white display teas from Numi tonight (I put the green & black off for another time).

I think I was right to be worried about the brewing temperature: none of the white display teas were particularly good representations of white tea. However, a couple of them were drinkable (and even pleasant).

The Flower Jewel is the one I will be serving at my party. It takes like jasmine, and that's all. Just... jasmine. No white tea flavor, but I like jasmine, so I liked this.

The Dragon Lily tasted exactly like perfectly-cooked spinach. I have never before liked the flavor of spinach in a cup, but I found that I enjoyed this because it was perfect and not polluted by other flavors.

As for the Lavender dream, while I would not drink it, my SO did. It had a sharp lavender flavor with spinach notes. I just didn't think that lavender and spinach (however mild) went well together.

Finally, the Starlight Rose is the only one I have nothing nice to say about. It had a spinach flavor that was markedly overcooked, with a very dry aftertaste. It was also the least-graceful bloom in the cup, looking more like a porcupine than a flower. I wouldn't recommend this tea to anyone, unless you are trying to relive bad cooking from your childhood.

For those interested, the full review is here:
http://community.livejournal.com/teareviews/2093.html

~Yresim~

+ Post Reply