Show off your snow

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Feb 9th, '11, 20:43

Re: Show off your snow

by woozl » Feb 9th, '11, 20:43

Great shot Jaybay. Looks like my back yard,
K's dreaming of a kiln by the pond.....
any ideas for plans??

Oh, Rabitt, fire is the way, if not, so sorry, no tea,
Just Bud Light (shiverz)

Feb 9th, '11, 21:38

by auhckw » Feb 9th, '11, 21:38

skilfautdire wrote:Our quinzee in the backyard. Haven't slept in it yet. A few years ago when I made one I slept a few nights in it, but this year the timing is not yet fully right. Maybe this weekend.
quinzee2011-s.jpg
Coming from a place with no snow... this looks so awesome... and it must be freaking cold to be in there too. I will most likely be frozen.

But are you sure it is safe to be sleeping inside?... Will it collapse?

Feb 9th, '11, 22:30

by iannon » Feb 9th, '11, 22:30

Reminds me of my childhood in Nebraska!

Feb 9th, '11, 22:56

by entropyembrace » Feb 9th, '11, 22:56

IPT wrote:Very cool! I used to make them when I was young.
haha...me too...in the schoolyard...but then the teachers would come and tell us not to do that because it was too dangerous. :?

Feb 11th, '11, 05:46

by skilfautdire » Feb 11th, '11, 05:46

auhckw wrote:Coming from a place with no snow... this looks so awesome... and it must be freaking cold to be in there too. I will most likely be frozen. But are you sure it is safe to be sleeping inside?... Will it collapse?
No, it's not that bad actually. Of course one does not sleep in there in plain pajamas. It's winter after all. But it offers a quite good shelter, especially with a long tunnel like this one has. It can be quite homey in a way. Last time I invited my wife for a cup of tea during the day. Complete with portable camp stove for boiling water and all that. Yes, she would not sleep in there. :)

It is safe as long as it's still winter outside. I mean, if things are melting all around, then perhaps it's time to move to a tent. Not to mention that the insides will be getting smaller and smaller as snow melts.

During the day, the light inside is quite nice. It is a mix of white and blue. In many places in the walls the light seeps in with a bright blue tint. I usually 'frost' the inside walls by having a camping lantern burn in there for sometime.
Last edited by skilfautdire on Feb 11th, '11, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 11th, '11, 05:50

by skilfautdire » Feb 11th, '11, 05:50

entropyembrace wrote:
IPT wrote:Very cool! I used to make them when I was young.
haha...me too...in the schoolyard...but then the teachers would come and tell us not to do that because it was too dangerous. :?
The children are the responsibility of the teachers. And they cannot predict when one will jump on it when someone is inside. That would of course make the shelter crash. Also, they might be knowing not much about making these, not giving any serious information to the kids like about how to make one. It's simple, but for instance one must pretty much all the time be on his/her knees when digging. This is to provide maximum force to spring up should the snow collapse during digging.

+ Post Reply