Aug 20th, '15, 21:30

Re: Any fans here of Japanese Kitchen Knives ?

by BioHorn » Aug 20th, '15, 21:30

chingwa wrote:I have no experience with Japanese knives, though I've been an admirer from afar for years! decades even! Galatea amentioned the Wusthof chef's knife above, and that is probably my favorite knife that I've ever owned... the balance is perfect actually. Do some of these japanese knives have similar balanced characteristics? Or do they start to get uncomfortable?

I'm just curious because I know that while some knives are a privilege to own, other knives are a privilege to use.
My Japanese knives are lighter than my Wusthof. They can take (and get) a much more accurate edge, but lose it quicker. I tend to go back and forth depending on what I am preparing. A chipped blade from chicken led me quickly back to the sturdy German steel!

The Japanese blade is a dream for vegetable prep. Just try a cucumber! :mrgreen:

What sort of Wusthof do you use?

Aug 21st, '15, 18:24

by chingwa » Aug 21st, '15, 18:24

I use this one...

What I like most about it is that it feels perfectly balanced in my hand, which makes it feel light and unobtrusive, despite it's sturdiness.

I've been mesmerized by JP knives, but they seem like such a luxury to me that I've never jumped in.

Aug 22nd, '15, 02:54

by wyardley » Aug 22nd, '15, 02:54

chingwa wrote: I've been mesmerized by JP knives, but they seem like such a luxury to me that I've never jumped in.
If you're in NY, definitely stop by Korin; you can see how the balance feels to you in person. I don't live there, but I'm sure there are some other options too (maybe MTC)?

There are Japanese knives in pretty much all price brackets.

Aug 22nd, '15, 12:10

by bonescwa » Aug 22nd, '15, 12:10

I have the 50 dollar Tojiro on Amazon. It works fine.

Aug 22nd, '15, 13:46

by kyarazen » Aug 22nd, '15, 13:46

chingwa wrote: I've been mesmerized by JP knives, but they seem like such a luxury to me that I've never jumped in.
you can try picking from rakuten too, if you're looking for something functional it can be quite inexpensive. aesthetics is another matter altogether :D

Aug 26th, '15, 15:01

by perrydave » Aug 26th, '15, 15:01

I am using this one also. This was give to me by mother as a wedding gift present. I am using this for almost 7 years and it has been proven of good quality.
Attachments
knife.jpg
knife.jpg (1.75 KiB) Viewed 2076 times

Aug 28th, '15, 01:31

by AT333 » Aug 28th, '15, 01:31

Japanese knife could be like tea and teapot, cheap to some but expensive to other and vice versa. One consideration is consistent, which is, we pay for what we get, provided we know how to evaluate the knife. If not just go for the cheapest possible. For me a good cleaver does all the job. Knife is as knife does. :mrgreen:

Dec 14th, '15, 12:56

by Fuut » Dec 14th, '15, 12:56

zencha wrote:Oh no , I just discovered Japanese cooking knives ; the start of a new obsession !
Maybe you'll like nihonto too! (trying to poach people where ever I can:D)

Dec 14th, '15, 15:30

by JBaymore » Dec 14th, '15, 15:30

Just about every time I am in Japan lately I stop by Kappabashidori on Tokyo and pick up a new knife for my wife. Lots of options there.

Sometimes the Kyoto Handcraft Center to get them too.

I think there are maybe 10-12 Japanese knives in the kitchen now.

I use the uchiko and choji oil from cleaning and oiling my Katanas on them sometimes. And a good stone.

best,

..................john

Feb 19th, '16, 19:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Feb 19th, '16, 19:10

Would love to see Kappabashidori one day, tool shopping is much more fun when you can handle the goods.

Still just one Japanese knife in my kitchen, I either chose wisely or got lucky.

+ Post Reply