Cigar and Tea paring

For general/other topics related to tea.

Mar 10th, '13, 11:57

Re: Cigar and Tea paring

by futurebird » Mar 10th, '13, 11:57

I worked in a cigar shop in high school. Haven't had one for a long time. They roll cigars on Arthur Ave here in the Bronx.

Mar 10th, '13, 14:45
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 10th, '13, 14:45

futurebird wrote:I worked in a cigar shop in high school. Haven't had one for a long time. They roll cigars on Arthur Ave here in the Bronx.
Yes Futurebird. They have the best local cigar in the Arthur Ave Market. Mike from David's Deli introduced them to me. Great to pair with some mid roasted oolong.

Mar 10th, '13, 14:46
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 10th, '13, 14:46

tingjunkie wrote:Fun thread going here!

Our very own TIM was just interviewed by Steeping Around on this very topic... http://www.steepingaround.com/show102/

Great interview, bud! You should have told us! ;) Too modest!
Thanks for the plug Big Guy :)

Mar 18th, '13, 21:27

by gasninja » Mar 18th, '13, 21:27

San Cristobal Robusto with 80's Menghai 79092 shu. Great match. This cigar is beautiful. I have never seen a wrapper quite like this

Mar 18th, '13, 21:59
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 18th, '13, 21:59

gasninja wrote:San Cristobal Robusto with 80's Menghai 79092 shu. Great match. This cigar is beautiful. I have never seen a wrapper quite like this
Nice! Just had a 2004. Sweet! Try it with a Sheung perhaps :)

Mar 19th, '13, 09:52

by gasninja » Mar 19th, '13, 09:52

This was one of the Nicaraguan SCs really an intense smoke but with lots of flavor. The notes of coffee with cream matched well with this traditionally stored shu.

Mar 30th, '13, 17:13

by Risdt » Mar 30th, '13, 17:13

When the weather will finaly start to get better, I might accept the challenge of pairing some cigars with tea, till now I've only done so with various kinds of whisky. When I think about it: tea and cigars might be a more natural fit than cigars and whisky. My main tea consumption exists of Taiwanese gao shan... a flowery,light R&Y might be an option.
My knowledge of cigars is quite limited, anybody who could help me pairing some of my cigars (only have about 6-7 in my humidor, quite an expensive hobby for a student)?

Mar 30th, '13, 17:38
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 30th, '13, 17:38

Risdt, Cigars are expensive, but perhaps they keep you from spending > $ doing something else. Many times I sat w/ a cigar & coffee or tea, when w/o them I might have gone out to spend a lot of $ trying to be amused.
PM what you have in your humidor & I'll suggest what to pair w/ the tea you like.

Mar 30th, '13, 21:29
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 30th, '13, 21:29

Risdt wrote:When the weather will finaly start to get better, I might accept the challenge of pairing some cigars with tea, till now I've only done so with various kinds of whisky. When I think about it: tea and cigars might be a more natural fit than cigars and whisky. My main tea consumption exists of Taiwanese gao shan... a flowery,light R&Y might be an option.
My knowledge of cigars is quite limited, anybody who could help me pairing some of my cigars (only have about 6-7 in my humidor, quite an expensive hobby for a student)?
What kind of Taiwanese tea you like to drink?

Mar 30th, '13, 23:50
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Mar 30th, '13, 23:50

Had a South Indian bidi and some shu pu erh a few days ago; the mild bidi smoke went well with the mild shu. Very relaxing.

Mar 30th, '13, 23:58
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 30th, '13, 23:58

An Upmann 2 started the morning, Hoyo Epi 2 following 4 Yancha tasting. Now ending with a 2010 D4 with 05 7542. A full day.

Mar 31st, '13, 08:49

by Risdt » Mar 31st, '13, 08:49

TIM wrote:what kind of Taiwanese tea you like to drink?
During winter, I mostly drink Hung Shui but I only smoke in Spring/Summer :) So now my tea diet will mainly consist of Shan Lin Shi, Alishan and Dong Ding tea. I did buy some Yancha, roasted TGY and some sheng to experiment with :D

I've only bought Cubans so far and Ethan just told me that they might be too heavy for such delicate teas. Also that Cuban take some time to become a proper smoke.

Mar 31st, '13, 09:21
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 31st, '13, 09:21

Risdt wrote:
TIM wrote:what kind of Taiwanese tea you like to drink?
During winter, I mostly drink Hung Shui but I only smoke in Spring/Summer :) So now my tea diet will mainly consist of Shan Lin Shi, Alishan and Dong Ding tea. I did buy some Yancha, roasted TGY and some sheng to experiment with :D

I've only bought Cubans so far and Ethan just told me that they might be too heavy for such delicate teas. Also that Cuban take some time to become a proper smoke.
What are couple of your favorites Habannos?

Mar 31st, '13, 10:05

by Risdt » Mar 31st, '13, 10:05

I haven't smoked that many cigars though I really like the Cohiba's whenever I have the oppertunity to smoke them, especially the siglo V.
Also like the Partagas E2 but they can be quite strong for me since I'm not used to the nicotine. I'm not experienced enough to really favor one cigar above the other, still browsing around. A nice subsitute for Cubans might be nice, they seem to be way overpriced compared to cigars from other countries.

Mar 31st, '13, 13:26
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 31st, '13, 13:26

Risdt wrote:I haven't smoked that many cigars though I really like the Cohiba's whenever I have the oppertunity to smoke them, especially the siglo V.
Also like the Partagas E2 but they can be quite strong for me since I'm not used to the nicotine. I'm not experienced enough to really favor one cigar above the other, still browsing around. A nice subsitute for Cubans might be nice, they seem to be way overpriced compared to cigars from other countries.
Try a D4 for your high mt. Green oolong. Very versatile smoke for beginner and easy on the wallet. Have Fun!

+ Post Reply