Nerding out at ... (Hobbit, Desolation of Smaug)

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Are you Hobbiting? 3 questions, 3 answers. Saw the first one? Seeing Desolation? Seeing anything Tolkien?

First one, yes
26%
No
4%
Will
No votes
Desolation, yes
17%
No
4%
Will
9%
All Tolkien? Yes
30%
No
4%
... maybe
4%

Total votes: 23

Dec 17th, '13, 10:47
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Nerding out at ...

by Devoted135 » Dec 17th, '13, 10:47

MEversbergII wrote:
Devoted135 wrote:So I'm a total Tolkien fangirl, which means that all criticism goes out the door when I get in front of the books or movies. Who needs intellectual honesty when there are hobbits and wizards and dragons on my screen? :lol: So of course I loved every second of it!

Next they need to make Morgoth's story into a movie! With a creation story short in front of it! :mrgreen: And a distillation of The Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle Earth couldn't go amiss... And the epic of Hurin... And...
What did you think of Martin Freeman's acting? I felt he's improved over his role in the first Hobbit film.

M.
I would tend to agree with you that he's improved in this movie. Between this and Sherlock, I've become a huge fan of his. And to think I used to think of him as Arthur Dent! :D

Dec 18th, '13, 22:12

Re: Nerding out at ... (Hobbit, Desolation of Smaug)

by Chip » Dec 18th, '13, 22:12

POLL added!

... should have done this right away, but I was sitting in the IMAX with Tapatalk.

Dec 18th, '13, 22:58

by JBaymore » Dec 18th, '13, 22:58

Desolation of Smaug now seen. Excellent.

But the WAIT for the next one !!!!!!!!! Arrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!

best,

.................john

Dec 18th, '13, 23:01

by Chip » Dec 18th, '13, 23:01

JBaymore wrote:Desolation of Smaug now seen. Excellent.

But the WAIT for the next one !!!!!!!!! Arrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!

best,

.................john
I hear ya, John! Now if only they could include hot blown air to IMAX for Smaugovision!

Dec 19th, '13, 04:33

Re: Nerding out at ...

by chamekke » Dec 19th, '13, 04:33

Devoted135 wrote:I would tend to agree with you that he's improved in this movie. Between this and Sherlock, I've become a huge fan of his. And to think I used to think of him as Arthur Dent! :D
I've always wondered if the bewildered-Bilbo-in-his-dressing-gown scene in Hobbit 1 was a nod towards his Arthur Dent role...

Dec 20th, '13, 07:06

by bagua7 » Dec 20th, '13, 07:06

I might take a thermos with some nice young raw puerh (bulang), just to add some 'power' to the cinematic experience. :mrgreen:

Dec 20th, '13, 12:24

by Devoted135 » Dec 20th, '13, 12:24

chamekke, I hadn't thought of that, but now I'm imagining Bilbo taking pride in knowing how to queue! :P

I've decided to re-read the Tolkien books (for the umpteenth time) and was pleasantly surprised to notice that the first movie really did cover the first third of the book. Not to mention, of course, the material from the appendices. I'll let you know in about 90 pages whether the second book also covered the middle third. :lol:

Dec 20th, '13, 14:05

by JBaymore » Dec 20th, '13, 14:05

If you have not done so, do yourself a faovr and buy the extended version Blueray DVD set of the "Unexpected Journey" first movie.

The "Appendicies" of the DVDs (there are 3 disks total... 2 are documentary!!!!) are amazing. It is the making of the movie, and it is even more fascinating than the movies. And it is in GREAT detail of many, man aspects of what went into it. HOURS of content. Some of it is absolutely amazing.

How'd you like to be running around wearing 100 pounds of soaking wet dwarf costume and be expected to run, fight, and act in it? Do you know how to simply WALK like a dwarf (not a human)......... weeks of dwarf boot camp will teach you. Know how to handle a sword? Serious martial arts training and physical conditioning will get you ready.

Shows how they fool you into seeing what is not really there. (Sometimes some of the lead dwarves are men.... but sometimes they are women.) Movie magic... and it is not ALL of it is CGI.

best,

..............john

Dec 21st, '13, 00:31

by MEversbergII » Dec 21st, '13, 00:31

As a decrepit 5' tall man, I think I have an idea of how to walk like a dwarf.

M.

+ Post Reply