Jan 15th, '14, 11:33
Vendor Member

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by TIM » Jan 15th, '14, 11:33

Teaism wrote:
kyarazen wrote:patiently waiting for Teaism to find time to share some kyara and aged tea experiments :)
:D Anytime Bro. I have a piece of the iconic Ta Kou Zhong waiting...I think it goes well with the iconic green oil kyara. Will sync with you on separate platform. :wink:

Cheers!

Thats fantastic to see this kind of gathering Teaism and Kyarazen.
Please keep us posted.

Kyarazen, love to see the raw green. Could you teach / show us more about it?

Jan 15th, '14, 13:14

by kyarazen » Jan 15th, '14, 13:14

TIM wrote: Vietnam incense grade aloeswood. For burning, not good enough for drinking or brewing tea.

A mix of black, Iron, honey and white aloeswood.
thats pretty interesting :) for me my selection criteria is a little on the opposite, there are often more woods that are not good enough for heating, but excellent for brewing, drinking, or throwing onto a hot coal directly.

Jan 15th, '14, 13:24

by kyarazen » Jan 15th, '14, 13:24

:lol: :lol:

fortunately i'm no merchant.. if i were one i'll probably hide the real stuff and "present" the fake stuff as real.. kidding!!!!

but anyway, beads are often the most fun to authenticate and play with. the price margin in comparison to actual raw material is stunning! a 4-5 gram bracelet can easily cost a couple hundred dollars a gram.. (when the raw material is probably tens of dollars/gram for the good ones, and tens of cents for the crappy ones).. so there's a huge boat of people leaping into trading these paraphernalia..

i happen to know quite many ways to "make" agarwood beads.. so many that i scare myself sometimes.. but just to demonstrate one of the techniques i had developed (purely for research, non commercial purpose since i am not involved in trading/selling agarwood beads online/offline)

using "kyarazen agarwood solution 2" and a quick treatment using "kyarazen agarwood mechanism 4", i can turn a "worthless" malaysian unresinated agarwood bead into something that can bluff some experts using agarwood resin.. :P just a few minutes :D on request, i can vary the degree of "resination", style of resination, color, density as well...

Jan 15th, '14, 13:29

by kyarazen » Jan 15th, '14, 13:29

Teaism wrote: :D Anytime Bro. I have a piece of the iconic Ta Kou Zhong waiting...I think it goes well with the iconic green oil kyara. Will sync with you on separate platform. :wink:

Cheers!
the Ta Kou Zhong has made its way into "textbooks" and magazines, but i've yet to have the chance to taste the real, and properly stored one. so i'm waiting eagerly!

definitely only the finest green oil kyara to go with this tea. perhaps black or red oil could be more exciting too :wink:

Jan 16th, '14, 19:33
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 16th, '14, 19:33

kyarazen wrote:...definitely only the finest green oil kyara to go with this tea. perhaps black or red oil could be more exciting too :wink:
Kyarazen, is that a red oil aloeswood or kyara?

Jan 16th, '14, 22:25

by kyarazen » Jan 16th, '14, 22:25

TIM wrote: Kyarazen, is that a red oil aloeswood or kyara?
:wink: based on your opinion, what would you think of it to be? :P

Jan 17th, '14, 14:58
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 17th, '14, 14:58

Vietnam / 3.2 kg / White Skin Green Oil Kyara.

Jan 17th, '14, 21:03

by Teaism » Jan 17th, '14, 21:03

Wow! 3.2kg!!!!! The market rate for kyara is $300-500 per gram. For bigger piece it is even higher. Smoke came out from my calculator when I try to calculate the value. :shock: Wow!!! Superb collection! :mrgreen:

Jan 18th, '14, 01:01

by kyarazen » Jan 18th, '14, 01:01

Teaism wrote:Wow! 3.2kg!!!!! The market rate for kyara is $300-500 per gram. For bigger piece it is even higher. Smoke came out from my calculator when I try to calculate the value. :shock: Wow!!! Superb collection! :mrgreen:
hahahaha! the price is beyond that now! $300-500/gram was the late era when we're most aggressively collecting

recently a 3.65kg piece was auctioned at an average of $825/gram (18.4 million HKD)
http://dailynews.sina.com/gb/tw/twpolit ... 39771.html

huge incense companies, such as b4ieid0 often only exhibited kyaras of 1kg, or less.. not to even talk about a 3.65kg piece, so if this 3.65kg auctioned piece is real, its a good deal, if not, the buyer's gonna be suckered real bad.. thats how people make money from unknowing/unsuspecting buyers with a tiny bit of seemingly authoritative knowledge.

in recent years traders approach me through my website asking me if i want to buy "kyara", not incredibly pricey.. purchased some samples and they were rubbish! but it seems that there are some middle eastern "oil" traders/resellers that had believed it was possible to get "kyara" at these prices and fell for it. and perhaps that is why they use such chinese and japanese terms to sell arabic perfume now :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

pretty sad to see that arabic perfume/oud cannot stand on its own right now and require the use of japanese and chinese input :roll:
Last edited by kyarazen on Jan 18th, '14, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 18th, '14, 01:13

by kyarazen » Jan 18th, '14, 01:13

KZ solutions K1, K2 and K3

20ml of K3

there were some whom had procured some K3 from me, i made them promise me not to use K3 to forge kyara by coating/apply it on aloeswood.

if applied, a simple piece of low quality aloeswood will immediately smell like kyara, and since most people buy fragrant wood without a proper kodo or heating analysis/classification, its really easy to dupe others. :cry: :cry:

Jan 18th, '14, 01:35

by kyarazen » Jan 18th, '14, 01:35

what material is really good for "faking" agarwood?

hmm......

low quality agarwood conversion to high quality by artificial means is the best practice now.. :lol: you cant deny that the starting material is "real agarwood" and it has all the right marks and structures etc

but there's another type of wood really commonly used nowadays, it absorbs perfume oils, resins, and all that really well, so buyers are easily taken in. material C! under $1 per bracelet, unsuspecting buyers pay up to $2k per bracelet

Jan 20th, '14, 20:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Jan 20th, '14, 20:25

Tasting of Kyara and other aloeswood from all over SE Asia. Five buds and their four legged friend embarked on the mission.

Selected: Indonesia, Malaysia Plantation 1, Malaysia Plantation 2, Wild Cambodia
Kyara, Vietnam 1, Vietnam 2

Some samples turned out to have a bolder aroma, but it was unfocused. These were revealed to be plantation wood possibly infected with multiple strains.
The wild Cambodia kyara stood out early in the testing.
We followed familiar methods for judging the aroma and taste of the samples.
Heating the samples would be quite wasteful, so we heated a tiny piece, and sated our curiosity by burning a Kyara themed stick from a top Japanese firm. I was not confident in the blend upon smelling it in the package, but once the smoke was swirling around, it was a delight.
To shake things up we even tried a bit of old growth American oak harvested by our own MV. The scent of vanilla in the dry wood was intoxicating. Not bad in the cup either.

Jan 21st, '14, 08:44

by kyarazen » Jan 21st, '14, 08:44

sounds fun :) within indonesian woods alone there are at least 40-50 tastes 8) and probably the same number with northern woods as well

i would stay clear from consuming any plantation material, unless certified by lab analysis to be safe for consumption. you wouldnt want to know what we've been injecting into trees to irritate them. :lol:

looks like a stick of kohshiboku you have there, really famous japanese firm that made it to the west early, but i've only taking a very selective liking to some of their lower end products
brandon wrote:Tasting of Kyara and other aloeswood from all over SE Asia. Five buds and their four legged friend embarked on the mission.

Selected: Indonesia, Malaysia Plantation 1, Malaysia Plantation 2, Wild Cambodia
Kyara, Vietnam 1, Vietnam 2

Some samples turned out to have a bolder aroma, but it was unfocused. These were revealed to be plantation wood possibly infected with multiple strains.
The wild Cambodia kyara stood out early in the testing.
We followed familiar methods for judging the aroma and taste of the samples.
Heating the samples would be quite wasteful, so we heated a tiny piece, and sated our curiosity by burning a Kyara themed stick from a top Japanese firm. I was not confident in the blend upon smelling it in the package, but once the smoke was swirling around, it was a delight.
To shake things up we even tried a bit of old growth American oak harvested by our own MV. The scent of vanilla in the dry wood was intoxicating. Not bad in the cup either.

Jan 25th, '14, 18:35
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 25th, '14, 18:35

Some of my favorite scent. OUD, AMBERGRIS, TONQUIN MUSK & KYARA.
Pure and simple. No time for forges and commercial dilutions.

Jan 25th, '14, 20:06

by MEversbergII » Jan 25th, '14, 20:06

I'm now imagining you guys as those perfume experts from Hannibal...

M.

+ Post Reply