Nihonto

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Apr 4th, '14, 06:31

Re: Nihonto

by Fuut » Apr 4th, '14, 06:31

Pig Hog wrote:That's what I meant. I just hadn't realised -- I thought you were having tachi koshirae made.

In which case, it should be treated and displayed as you would a katana, which is what your were intending to do in the first place!
I wished i could have a formal tachi koshirae made but from what I learned, its a lot of more expensive and they weren't very keen on doing one. Which is why i choose for a matching set for the Hisayuki and Nagamichi.

Also koshirae as they are now are expensive enough (for me anyway, i really have to be careful with buying tea wares in the meanwhile. I can't end up without the needed money:)

Apr 4th, '14, 11:16

by Pig Hog » Apr 4th, '14, 11:16

Here's mine—photo's aren't great but you'll get an idea.
IMG_1431.jpg
IMG_1431.jpg (100.71 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG (92.45 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
IMG_1433.JPG
IMG_1433.JPG (83 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Two more to follow...

Apr 4th, '14, 11:17

by Pig Hog » Apr 4th, '14, 11:17

IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1434.JPG (87.92 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1435.JPG (77.8 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
They're a little large, so you can scroll about a bit to see the whole thing.

Apr 4th, '14, 14:00

by Fuut » Apr 4th, '14, 14:00

That's still very nice! Thank you for sharing.

Regardless of the photo's (i could never dream to make high res photo's of something as intangible as swords, not like the ones i received anyway).

Have you used this one? (and if so, did you notice any streaks where you hit or say slight wear?).

And finally, do you know the dimensions? It looks like a katana, however images can be very deceiving, swords of which i thought would be nearly 70cm in cutting edge, ended up being 61, (which I'm imagining is a difference in feeling when in hand).

Edit: i see you need a sword-bag! A towel just won't do:)

Apr 4th, '14, 14:51

Nihonto

by Pig Hog » Apr 4th, '14, 14:51

Yeah, I do use it -- if you look closely you can see where the tsuka ito has changed colour.

I have a few scuffs/scratches along the shinogi, towards the end of the blade, mainly from others being a tad over zealous when making contact with my blade. It used to annoy me buy hey-ho, that's what I bought it for.

As for dimensions...not too sure. I know the nagasa is 2.45 shaku. The tsuka is 27cm, making it just under 1 shaku.

Apr 4th, '14, 17:26

by Fuut » Apr 4th, '14, 17:26

Pig Hog wrote:Yeah, I do use it -- if you look closely you can see where the tsuka ito has changed colour.

I have a few scuffs/scratches along the shinogi, towards the end of the blade, mainly from others being a tad over zealous when making contact with my blade. It used to annoy me buy hey-ho, that's what I bought it for.

As for dimensions...not too sure. I know the nagasa is 2.45 shaku. The tsuka is 27cm, making it just under 1 shaku.
So that would be 60,6 + 27 cm (or 2 shaku, 8 sun and 9 bu, thank the one who made a converter: ). Would you say its light to handle? I feel that the ones i purchased are above and below those numbers, though the wakizashi doesn't have a long tsuka, the tachi however is extremely long (and superb looking, just my taste!).

So as far as cleaning goes, i suppose a new made blade can be done like once every so many months if not used, but for antiques, once a month is OK? I'll ask my sword-dealer for some tailor advice on cleaning!

Apr 4th, '14, 17:55

Nihonto

by Pig Hog » Apr 4th, '14, 17:55

Even with a new blade, you should be in the habit of cleaning it monthly. Obviously, because mine is stainless, oiling it does little more than keep the blade slick (does anyone else find that nōtō with a dry blade is so much harder?) but I still go through the motions. Except uchiko...it just scratches my blade and I believe should only be used on carbon steel blades (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Um. I believe (not having weighed it myself) it's about 900-ish grams. Perhaps less. It certain doesn't always feel light but I don't think it's particularly heavy.

Your tachi will have a longer tsuka. My understanding is that the extra weight brings the balance closer to the hands, making it easier to wield one-handed, thus easier to use from horseback.

Apr 4th, '14, 20:44

by JBaymore » Apr 4th, '14, 20:44

On my steel blades, I clean and oil them when I am training about every week. Noto always involves contact with the left hand and that can start rusting the blade very fast. To a point of being an issue. Have to stay on top of it. I use uchiko powder for cleaning as well as ending with choji oil.

In training, the sweat absorbed into the tsuka also can be an issue for the tang part...... so disassembly is a part of the deal occasionally.

best,

..................john

Apr 5th, '14, 04:12

by Fuut » Apr 5th, '14, 04:12

JBaymore wrote:On my steel blades, I clean and oil them when I am training about every week. Noto always involves contact with the left hand and that can start rusting the blade very fast. To a point of being an issue. Have to stay on top of it. I use uchiko powder for cleaning as well as ending with choji oil.

In training, the sweat absorbed into the tsuka also can be an issue for the tang part...... so disassembly is a part of the deal occasionally.
However the tsuka shouldn't be cleaned from what i read, as the tsuka and accompanying rust gives shinsa members an estimate on how old a sword maybe/is. I'm going to have to be very careful with cleaning and storing and watching them but it'll be a pleasure.

Also I'm not sure on the weight of the tachi but its around 100cm in total, with a long tsuka for 2 handed use, but even with such a handle its possible to make a one handed sweeper:)

Apr 5th, '14, 08:29

Nihonto

by Pig Hog » Apr 5th, '14, 08:29

JBaymore wrote:On my steel blades, I clean and oil them when I am training about every week. Noto always involves contact with the left hand and that can start rusting the blade very fast. To a point of being an issue. Have to stay on top of it. I use uchiko powder for cleaning as well as ending with choji oil.

best,

..................john

Do you still use uchiko on alloy blades or not?

Not being carbon steel, I've never seen stripping mine down for a thorough cleaning as a big deal. Do you think it's something that I should do anyway, though? Do you dissemble your alloy iaitō?

Apr 5th, '14, 10:03
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 5th, '14, 10:03

Pig Hog, are you sure your sword is stainless? Stainless (400-series) is usually only used for the crappiest of Chinese swords. It's fine for knives, but at sword length, doesn't have the requisite toughness. I'd put money on your sword being carbon steel (which is still an alloy)!

Apr 5th, '14, 13:10

by JBaymore » Apr 5th, '14, 13:10

Pig Hog wrote:Do you still use uchiko on alloy blades or not?

Not being carbon steel, I've never seen stripping mine down for a thorough cleaning as a big deal. Do you think it's something that I should do anyway, though? Do you dissemble your alloy iaitō?
I currently don't own any alloy swords; all steel.

Technically stain-LESS steel will still potentially rust... just far less readilly than other steel. But I have no idea if the slightly abrasive uchiko powder would be "bad" for stainless. I would think not....... but ?????????

best,

..................john

Apr 5th, '14, 13:17

by JBaymore » Apr 5th, '14, 13:17

Fuut wrote:However the tsuka shouldn't be cleaned from what i read, as the tsuka and accompanying rust gives shinsa members an estimate on how old a sword maybe/is.
Since you will not be drawing and swinging these highly valuable pieces around in a dojo for 3 hours at 100F in the summer..... sweat from your exertions likely will not be an issue for you :lol: . And for most "training swords" Iaidoka use...... shinsa will not likely be examining the tang.

Other than VERY high ranked sensei, no-one would ttypically be using such pieces regularly in the dojo. Plus, "ornate" furniture for training swords is not looked kindly upon...... particularly if you do not hold a rank commensurate to the sword :wink: .

best,

.....................john

Apr 5th, '14, 15:43

Nihonto

by Pig Hog » Apr 5th, '14, 15:43

jayinhk wrote:Pig Hog, are you sure your sword is stainless? Stainless (400-series) is usually only used for the crappiest of Chinese swords. It's fine for knives, but at sword length, doesn't have the requisite toughness. I'd put money on your sword being carbon steel (which is still an alloy)!
You could buy me another one if you like -- it's definitely stainless. :P

Regarding uchiko, I was told that it should only be used for shinken (I took that to mean carbon steel blades) and that zinc-aluminium alloy (or other) iaitō don't need it. Just not sure how true that is...

Apr 5th, '14, 15:45

Nihonto

by Pig Hog » Apr 5th, '14, 15:45

JBaymore wrote:
Other than VERY high ranked sensei, no-one would ttypically be using such pieces regularly in the dojo. Plus, "ornate" furniture for training swords is not looked kindly upon...... particularly if you do not hold a rank commensurate to the sword :wink: .

best,

.....................john
This is why I don't want a shinken yet!

+ Post Reply