Human Medical Subject

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Aug 7th, '15, 12:58
Vendor Member

Human Medical Subject

by ethan » Aug 7th, '15, 12:58

Teachatters: Glad to be back in the world of tea & the world in general.

I just finished 37 days in a hospital room as a human medical subject for research on metabolism of aging adults (55-65 years old) w/ shifting sleep schedules. Among other procedures blood was drawn almost daily (a total of one liter for the whole study); fat was collected in 2 biopsies; information gathered from multiple electrodes & a rectal thermometer...

I was in a room alone except when I might fall asleep when I was not supposed to sleep. Meal times, sleep times--- time in general unknown & askew--to break normal rhythmns.

Not easy but a chunk of money will come my way in 5 weeks.

3 weeks before & during the study, no caffeine or chocolate could be consumed by me.

I came home last night & found I will be drinking less of my favorite tea,
the black tea from Nepal I have often praised, & more less caffeinated teas for a while.

Cheers,

Ethan

Aug 8th, '15, 20:45
Vendor Member

Re: Human Medical Subject

by ethan » Aug 8th, '15, 20:45

Yes, definitely lost tolerance for caffeine. Also, do not want to drink as much quantity. I think it would be a good time to have that flavorful white tea from Nepal that I was able to buy a year ago. I'll see what is available.

It is strange to have a drink & feel it is delicious but not want to drink a lot of it. Also to be effected (caffeine) by just a little bit.

Aug 8th, '15, 22:25

by chingwa » Aug 8th, '15, 22:25

Welcome back. That sounds like an intense experience!

Aug 8th, '15, 23:18
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 8th, '15, 23:18

Ever seen the cartoon Pinky and the Brain? It's about a couple of lab rats. The larger one (Pinky) keeps experiencing all kinds of weird side effects from experiments that have been done on him. Every time I see this thread title, I think of Pinky's random explosions!

Aug 9th, '15, 01:22

by BW85 » Aug 9th, '15, 01:22

jayinhk wrote:Ever seen the cartoon Pinky and the Brain? It's about a couple of lab rats. The larger one (Pinky) keeps experiencing all kinds of weird side effects from experiments that have been done on him. Every time I see this thread title, I think of Pinky's random explosions!
Aw pinky and the brain... childhood memories ... :)

Aug 9th, '15, 09:46
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 9th, '15, 09:46

It was a great show, wasn't it? :)

+ Post Reply