Loose tea at the Grocery Store

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jan 11th, '07, 15:34

Loose tea at the Grocery Store

by lenny7 » Jan 11th, '07, 15:34

I just had a surprise. I was in a grocery store near Minneapolis, Cub Foods, and for kicks I decided to stroll down the coffee aisle and see what they had for tea. I was shocked to find they had about 18 or 20 different kinds of bulk loose tea in dispensers similar to those they use for coffee. They sold for 99¢ per ounce and they had bags to use similar to what they had for coffee, but smaller.

I can't recall the brand, but I think it was Cameron or something that. I believe they have bulk coffee beans from them as well. Most of the types they had were flavored coffees and herbals, the exception being some English Breakfast in both regular and decaf.

I couldn't help myself and ended up buying an ounce of the regular english breakfast and an ounce of a black currant and assam tea. I've just finished a cup of the black currant and I'm surprised at how good it is. (I'm a rookie tea taster so take that for what it's worth). I'll try the english breakfast tomorrow.

I won't make this my regular tea source but for a buck with no shipping costs, I'll probably by an ounce or two to try every time I'm in there.

Jan 12th, '07, 00:08

WOW

by hop_goblin » Jan 12th, '07, 00:08

Nothing wrong with that Lenny! I will have to check that out next time im in the cities~

Jan 12th, '07, 00:43

by lenny7 » Jan 12th, '07, 00:43

I don't know if it's all Cub Foods or just certain markets. This one was in Edina on York Avenue near the Galleria.

Jan 12th, '07, 10:19

Edina huh?

by hop_goblin » Jan 12th, '07, 10:19

lenny7 wrote:I don't know if it's all Cub Foods or just certain markets. This one was in Edina on York Avenue near the Galleria.
Thanks for the heads up! I buy loose leaf tea Earl Grey for the morn from a local tea and bagel place and it runs me roughly 2 bucks an ounce. Ouch huh? LOL

Jan 13th, '07, 06:23

by EvenOdd » Jan 13th, '07, 06:23

Sounds kind of scary. Them's gunpowder prices. What teas were available?

Jan 24th, '07, 01:48

by kimber45acp » Jan 24th, '07, 01:48

Whole Foods has a pretty good selection as well. I have bought on occasion good quality tea at similar prices. Just today I got 4 oz of South African Rooibos for about $5 and 4 oz of Silver Needle for $10 with an airtight tin included. Not bad.

Dec 9th, '07, 13:33

by Carnelian » Dec 9th, '07, 13:33

My local Cub just got a Cameron's section. I'm currently drinking the Orange Ginger Mint, which is suprisingly good, but more gingery than I expected. I wouldn't call it the best quality teas, but it is a step in the right direction I'd say.
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Dec 9th, '07, 16:50
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Dec 9th, '07, 16:50

The Good Foods store has loose teas for sale, but I don't recognize the brands (Frontier, Xanadu), but they have some by Montana Tea and Spice. I'm kind of picky about my tea, so I'm thinking I'll avoid it until they have something I just have to try.

+ Post Reply