uses for tea leaves

For general/other topics related to tea.

Feb 11th, '07, 15:37

uses for tea leaves

by guitarfreak2641 » Feb 11th, '07, 15:37

I was wondering if there are any uses for used tea leaves. I have already heard that they can be used for fertilizer,but I have so many tea leaves. I would hate to throw them out if I could use it for somthing.

Feb 11th, '07, 16:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 11th, '07, 16:51

I just got this newsletter yesterday from Tea from Taiwan...no promises on the better sex life... :roll:

Tea Pillows
After you make a pot of Gong-Fu style tea pot you are left with a fair amount of used tea leaves. Instead of just throwing them out, try a Taiwanese handicraft - making tea pillows.

The used tea leaves are spread out in the sun. If they are loosely spread and the sun is strong, the leaves will dry in one afternoon. If you dry them in a bowl they may take several days to dry sufficiently.

It takes quite a lot of tea leaves to make a tea pillow, so you may need to collect them for several weeks before you have enough. Or enlist all your oolong-drinking friends to save their used tea leaves for you. If you absolutely can't wait until you have enough leaves, mix them with another type of stuffing such as polyester. This is the non-purist path, though.

Once you have enough leaves, sew them up into a pillow shaped cloth bag. Cotton is the best material for the pillow case.

Benefits of Tea Pillows
Tea pillows will help you sleep well, give you pleasant dreams, improve your sex life, and increase your lifespan. Wow!

They are beneficial for people who sweat excessively. When a regular pillow becomes wet it can release microbes and dust which can cause bronchial problems. Tea has antimicrobial properties so tea pillows are an excellent choice for anyone suffering from asthma or other breathing problems.

If that's not enough, tea pillows will also "improve eyesight, calm the nerves, rectify heat, refresh the brain, improve sleep quality, and strengthen your body" - according to a manufacturer of tea pillows.

That's right! If you are too lazy to make your own tea pillow you can buy them fresh from the factory.

Feb 11th, '07, 19:15

by Mary R » Feb 11th, '07, 19:15

The tea pillow idea scares me a bit. Microbes love decaying plant matter, so you'd have to dry your spent leaves really really well. It could probably be done successfully, but I don't think it would impart any real health benefits...and it would probably be very uncomfortable to boot!

himthatwas once posted on his (defunct?) blog something about using spent leaves in the bath. It looks interesting.

I'm more partial to throwing my leaves in the compost. There just ain't enough hippie in me. :wink:

Feb 11th, '07, 20:22

by Chip » Feb 11th, '07, 20:22

...lol...all I can think of are all those leaves crunching under my head and keeping you awake all night...and now microbes crawling into my ears like some alien parasite.

I too highly doubt if there is any health benefit since especially oolong has been brewed multible times ands all beneficial properties are probably long gone.

They actually do go into the microbes further on in the article...and recommend replacing the leaves after a few weeks of use.

I usually go for the garden compost, too.

Feb 11th, '07, 22:27

by EvenOdd » Feb 11th, '07, 22:27

Tea leaves make my trash smell better.

Feb 11th, '07, 23:26

by Space Samurai » Feb 11th, '07, 23:26

My tea leaves do a great job of annoying my wife when I don't run the garbage disposal long enough and they end up in the dishwasher.

Feb 12th, '07, 00:36

WOW

by hop_goblin » Feb 12th, '07, 00:36

Sheesh, Is there anything that tea can not do!

Feb 12th, '07, 08:39

by Mary R » Feb 12th, '07, 08:39

Yes! Tea cannot be coffee.

But then...why would it want to be?

Feb 12th, '07, 12:18

by Chip » Feb 12th, '07, 12:18

Mary R wrote:Yes! Tea cannot be coffee.

But then...why would it want to be?
I am sure someone is selling coffee flavored tea...the world is MAD I tell you...

Feb 12th, '07, 13:29

by Mary R » Feb 12th, '07, 13:29

Sigh. As always, oh wise guru, you are correct.

There is no God.

Feb 12th, '07, 15:34

by Chip » Feb 12th, '07, 15:34

...ahhhh, grasshoppa, you honor me...and humble me at the same time...

That stuff is just toooooo nasty...and defies all sensiblities.

Mar 16th, '07, 22:29

tea compost answer - save your tea leaves

by jill » Mar 16th, '07, 22:29

they have an answer to your compost question and lots of other practical, helpful tips. their shop is called sympathy for the kettle and its by far best tea shop in new york.

http://www.savetheworldwithtea.org/index.php

Jul 11th, '07, 02:59

Re: uses for tea leaves

by penguin1999 » Jul 11th, '07, 02:59

guitarfreak2641 wrote:I was wondering if there are any uses for used tea leaves. I have already heard that they can be used for fertilizer,but I have so many tea leaves. I would hate to throw them out if I could use it for somthing.
I don't suggest you to use the used tea leaves to make a pillow but there are really Tea Pillows existing.

Check out this website, they actually sale Tea Pillows
www.TeaAvenue.com

pretty interesting

+ Post Reply