Mixing infusions

Completely off the Topic of Tea

Mixing infusions

Postby fencerdenoctum » Dec 6th, '07, 18:11

So I haven't really tried this as I don't have any teas that would really handle multiple infusions, but here is the big question.

Say I'm brewing tea for a lot of people, how would mixing the seperate steepings of say greens or oolongs affect taste? As in taking 3 steeps of an oolong (not counting rinse round here) and putting them all in the same container? I'm trying to cut down on cost for my upcoming event and I thought I could stretch the leaf when it came to my Greens/oolongs/whites.

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum
fencerdenoctum

Postby scruffmcgruff » Dec 6th, '07, 19:10

Sounds fine to me. Some may disagree, and it might not be a good idea when serving tea to really picky tea enthusiasts, but I think for the average Western audience it's no big deal.
scruffmcgruff

Postby Chip » Dec 6th, '07, 19:12

...works great for white peppermint oolong...or so I have heard :shock: :wink: :twisted:

Seriously, no reason you cannot. Might be interesting to try since most of us shun the notion.

[Edit from Mary: We will never speak of white peppermint oolong again. *twitch*]

[Edit from Chip: WHITE PEPPERMINT OOLONG, that is one bad twitch you got going on there, Mary.]

[Edit from Mary: *TWITCH* *TWITCH* *TWITCH*]
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Daughteroftheki... » Dec 8th, '07, 01:28

Each subsequent infusion has its own taste. If you like the taste/aftertaste of each infusion, since they come from the same leaves, by blending those infusions together you're layering flavors and should end up with something very satisfying.

I blend multiple infusions all the time (especially when making batches of iced tea). Then, too, I have the attitude that if I can't get at least 2 really good infusions from whatever tea I'm drinking, I tend to think of it as an inferior tea.
(Perhaps I'm more of a cheapskate than I realized???)
Daughteroftheki...

Postby Space Samurai » Dec 8th, '07, 02:11

When I do tea demos, I mix infusions. It helps keep the flavor consistens, so some aren't trying a first infusion and others a fifth.

Also I couldn't stand all the customers who kept asking me why some cups were different colors than others, and would stand there pondering which to pick up. I say mix away.
Space Samurai

Instant Messenger

Permissions