Jan 10th, '08, 13:00

The Ultimate Tea Diet

by xine » Jan 10th, '08, 13:00

The Ultimate Tea Diet

*bangs head against the wall* Has anybody else heard of this? I heard about it today in my Borders email newsletter of new releases. I haven't heard of the Dr. Tea, but perhaps he is a regional know-it all. Perhaps I will go look through it when I'm in the bookstore next and see what it's all about. Supposedly it has tea-based menus, etc, but sounds like it recycles the whole tea is healthy, which dur, yeah we know.

Jan 10th, '08, 13:57

by Mary R » Jan 10th, '08, 13:57

If "Dr. Tea" has a doctorate in anything, I'll donate $10 to Wikipedia. Mark Ukra is a co-owner of Tea Garden & Herbal Emporium in West Hollywood. Admittedly, it's a nicely reputable establishment, and I believe the good Doctor was interviewed in that History Channel "Modern Marvels" about tea. Still...$10.

I saw the book prominently displayed the last time I went to Borders. I started to flip through it, but then realized that I only have so many seconds in one lifetime and that it's a crime to waste them.

Jan 10th, '08, 16:18

by xine » Jan 10th, '08, 16:18

I remember reading in the bio that he was a tea shop owner. I will have to look up the place. Not worth flipping through? Borders is really pushing the release, which is good for Mr. Dr. Tea, in a personal sense. I haven't been to a borders in ages (I still pledge my allegiance to b&n were I was a bookseller/slave for five years), so most likely it's somewhere on backlist at b&n.

Jan 10th, '08, 16:34

by Wesli » Jan 10th, '08, 16:34

Looks like BS. But you know what, I support it. Anything that might help some people slim up is good, and to get them addicted to tea at the same time? Marvelous.

Jan 11th, '08, 14:05

by forkyfork » Jan 11th, '08, 14:05

I actually checked this out from the library and gave it a read through. One of my interests is in nutrition and another is in tea, so this seemed perfect.

Here's the verdict: There's nothing for experienced tea lovers to gain. Anything he says in this book the majority of teachat people know already. What's the difference between green/white/black/oolong? What is "tea" and what isn't? How do brew tea?

He constantly stresses in this book that this diet is a COMBINATION of tea + good eating + exercise. Tea is not a miracle magic weight loss drink. But it does help. Also, surprisingly, he does not push his products more. He barely mentions his website. I expected this to be a huge marketing tool of "buy my teas".. but it's really not. Although he does suggest his teas in some of the recipes, he tells you how to make them if you don't have them on hand.

There's a few things that don't sit well with me:

There's some serious hating on coffee in this book. I think there are far worse things for you than coffee. Coffee by itself really isn't that bad, but it's all the stuff that people put into that make it bad.

He says for people to bring tea with them wherever they go, which is fine. But then he also mentions drinking tea instead of water when you workout. I love tea as much as the next person, but I thnk water is much usful before, during, and after a workout than tea.

Third, he spouts off that "throw out the first steep to decaffinate" thing a LOT. No one can really reach an agreement on this, so I don't think it's nice to tell people who know nothing about tea that "the second steep is virtually caffiene-free". If people are told to avoid caffiene, they shouldn't be drinking tea... period. Instead, they should drink tisanes.

Overall, it's an OK diet book, and OK tea book, and above-average tea recipe book (not like there are too many others).

I'm contemplating on whether or not I should write a review about it on Amazon. It's not a bad book. I would probably give it 3 stars.

Jan 11th, '08, 14:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Jan 11th, '08, 14:22

Interesting review, thanks forky!
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jan 11th, '08, 14:27

by hop_goblin » Jan 11th, '08, 14:27

Yeah, thanks forky!

Jan 11th, '08, 14:28

by hop_goblin » Jan 11th, '08, 14:28

Mary R wrote:If "Dr. Tea" has a doctorate in anything, I'll donate $10 to Wikipedia. Mark Ukra is a co-owner of Tea Garden & Herbal Emporium in West Hollywood. Admittedly, it's a nicely reputable establishment, and I believe the good Doctor was interviewed in that History Channel "Modern Marvels" about tea. Still...$10.

I saw the book prominently displayed the last time I went to Borders. I started to flip through it, but then realized that I only have so many seconds in one lifetime and that it's a crime to waste them.
HAHAHA GOD MARY I JUST LOVE YOU!

[Mary's Edit: :D I love ya too!]

Jan 11th, '08, 14:52

by Salsero » Jan 11th, '08, 14:52

Mary and Chip are our very own national treasures.

I thought we were just voting for Moderators, but we got mods, comedians, philosophers, and a new Mom and Dad! We need to build a big monument in their honor. I just can't decide which city to build it in.

Jan 11th, '08, 17:09

by xine » Jan 11th, '08, 17:09

Salsero wrote:Mary and Chip are our very own national treasures.

I thought we were just voting for Moderators, but we got mods, comedians, philosophers, and a new Mom and Dad! We need to build a big monument in their honor. I just can't decide which city to build it in.
Mary and Chip are my life blood. They are each owed my first born, I guess they will have to split it.

Thanks for the review, ForkyFork! I will take a look in the bookstore this next week. It initially stirred my interest, because it's getting such a big push by Borders, which is odd to me, but it looks like it could get a diet-fad-following.

Jan 11th, '08, 21:01

by Space Samurai » Jan 11th, '08, 21:01

Is this the same guy who was on the Modern Marvel's episode about tea?

Will the gimmicks never end?

Edit: Oh. :oops: I can see I didn't read carefully enough, cos Mary already answered that question.

Jan 11th, '08, 21:05

by Mary R » Jan 11th, '08, 21:05

Yes I did. Because I am a national treasure and someone's life blood and so therefore am full of AWESOME.

Chip--if it comes down to us splitting Xine's first born, I call dibs on the left half. I have a penchant for the sinister.

Jan 27th, '08, 20:01

Dr. Tea's Ultimate Tea Diet

by Tea na » Jan 27th, '08, 20:01

HI, I bought Dr Tea's Ultimate Tea Diet book and it is a lot of fun. I started drinking tea 2 years ago and have just become serious about learning about tea. I read the Tea Companion book, and it has more information, but Dr. Tea is funny and he loves his stuff. I think he wrote the book to market his tea's, which are really good. I ordered a sample pack and the Blueberry Pie White Tea is EXCELLENT. I ordered more types of tea from his web site because I like that one so much.

I have been thinking about giving the book and some nice tea's as a gift to get my family interested in tea.

Have a wonderful day!
Tea Na

Jan 31st, '08, 13:33

by Chip » Jan 31st, '08, 13:33

Mary R wrote:Yes I did. Because I am a national treasure and someone's life blood and so therefore am full of AWESOME.

Chip--if it comes down to us splitting Xine's first born, I call dibs on the left half. I have a penchant for the sinister.
"Today I bake, tomorrow I brew,
Today for one
Tomorrow for two
Little knows my royal dame
Rumpelstiltskin is my name"
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 31st, '08, 14:06

by Mary R » Jan 31st, '08, 14:06

Yeah, but Rumplestiltskin didn't have to split a first born...he wanted the Princess's baby outright to raise as his minion or something. Solomon used baby-carving as a tool to figure out which of two warring women was actually the kid's mom...but no actual cleaving occurred...

Ugh. I think my brain needs sanitized now. Where's the Disney channel...

+ Post Reply