Feb 4th, '08, 00:53

Caffeine in Tea vs. Coffee and Effect in our Body

by TimeforTea » Feb 4th, '08, 00:53

I just read this from the zarafina website, and thought it was quite interesting!

"The caffeine in Hot tea is released into the central nervous system gradually, prolonging its effects and eliminating the “crash” feeling that’s experienced while drinking coffee."

I would love to hear from others in teachat who know more about how caffeine in tea vs. caffeine in coffee has different physiological effects in our systems. (Any biochemists out there?)

Feb 4th, '08, 03:54
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Feb 4th, '08, 03:54

I don't have any proof that they are wrong, but let's just say I'm skeptical.

I'm guessing what they are trying to say is that caffeine has a gentler "kick" in tea than in coffee. From what I have read, this is due to the simultaneous effects of another chemical, L-theanine, which acts as a calming agent in ways too complex to get into here.

Mary, any thoughts?

Feb 4th, '08, 10:00

by Mary R » Feb 4th, '08, 10:00

Maybe my Valentine's Day resolution will be to stop being such a flippin' know-it-all.

Caffeine is caffeine is caffeine. It's going to enter bloodstreams and tissues and what not at the same rate no matter if it came from tea, coffee, yerba maté, guarana, or chocolate.

However, I think that the basic effects described on the Zarafina site--the crash from coffee and the 'prolonged' effects from tea do have some merit. Tea's L-theanine will certainly help counterbalance the caffeine jitters and allow you to have that energized calm, for lack of a better description. However, I think the prime difference is in the initial amounts of caffeine. Like, if you were throwing a party and 40 people showed all at once, ate all your food, then all left...you'd be all dazed and confused. But if five people showed up and nibbled around and mingled with a calmer set, then five more showed up (another cup), etc, then they started leaving in dribs and drabs, you wouldn't notice as much and you'd be a happier host.

Of course, I have no clue as to what the actual chemistry is...that's just my best guess.
Last edited by Mary R on Feb 4th, '08, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 4th, '08, 12:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Feb 4th, '08, 12:09

I tend to agree with the above, but I think there's also something to the fact that tea doesn't have as much caffeine so you can't take it in as fast. It also has tryosine (and probably other stuff) to give you a bit of a boost that won't cause the same kind of crash.

Feb 4th, '08, 12:27

by Space Samurai » Feb 4th, '08, 12:27

The interaction of caffeine and theanine in tea is bizzare. after a few bowls of matcha, I feel awake and alert but very mellow, like I could just sort of sit down and watch paint dry or something.

I am aslo skeptical. Zarafina make a tea maker, and that is about the extent of their relationship with tea. It just sounds like the kind of thing a vendor would say to sell their product.

Feb 10th, '08, 16:00

by tmikuckis » Feb 10th, '08, 16:00

it probably has a lot to do with the fact that tea has a lot less caffeine than coffee.
tea

+ Post Reply